5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4X4 Issue

The Fox

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I am new to the forum and would say I am relatively new to the Ram 1500 Family. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Warlock, which I absolutely love. However I have this on going issue with the 4X4 and I am wondering if anyone else has run into this issue because the dealer is telling me that this is "Normal". Apparently it is called "Crow Hop" and what it is, is when I have the truck in 4Wheel Drive Low and go to turn it almost feels like the truck is fighting me to turn and is bouncing when moving. Has anyone experienced this, is this normal as I am being told, and is there anyway to get rid of this? I appreciate all feed back fellas!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is normal. You have 2 tries st the front trying to turn you rig with power.

And 4low makes it feel even more like a struggle

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Never heard the term "crow hop", but I like the description lol. Is this your first 4x4?

nburd

Reaction score
perfectly normal. The Warlocks have Manual 4WD, not Auto, so when in 4x4 mode there is a direct connect to the transfer case. The 4WD does not modulate, it's 50/50 front to back all the time when in 4x4 mode. For the Auto 4WD models, power is modulated to the front only when slip is detected. The front diff is locked but 4WD is to the rear only unless slip is detected.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Because your front diff is locked your front tires are rotating at the same speed. When you are trying to turn sharp the inside and outside tires normally turn at slightly different speeds. When the diff is locked you will get that effect in tight turns because they can't rotate at different speeds

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
That hop is how you know the 4WD is actually engaged.

If you feel it when you're not just testing to see if it engages, you have it on when you shouldn't. Loose, wet, or snowy surfaces are okay for 4WD. Dry pavement is not.

Quint

Reaction score
You are hurting your truck if you are doing this on dry pavement. That "crows hop" is your truck's way of saying 'take me out of 4x4 dumba$$!" You should never feel this when driving in the snow and might feel it a little bit when driving in the dirt. My two cents is that if you are getting wheel hop, that means that you are turning too aggressively and/or using 4x4 in conditions that don't allow the wheels to slip....which means that you shouldn't be using 4x4 in the first place.

I generally only use 4x4 in the snow or mud. The only other time is on slimy boat ramps in the summer. I put it in 4Lo, pull up the ramp, stop, shift to neutral, shift out of 4Lo, and then pull my boat to where I am going to prep it for towing.

Users who are viewing this thread