5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD switch completely dead

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Saturday the wife and I went for a drive, and there's a dirt road I've been wanting to check out, so we sorta drifted that way. We reached the end of the pavement and I reached down to stick it in Auto 4 just because. Nothing happened. Then I noticed the 2WD light on the switch isn't even lit up. Just great....

We had no problem with the road in 2WD and I drove back home no problem. No messages, no warning lights, nothing.

Today before I called to make an appointment at the dealer, I went out to see if it had healed itself, the way the radio and the backup camera do from time to time. Start the truck, 2WD light is lit. Drive down the street and hit Auto, it lights up and the dash message shows up. Drive to a parking lot and test 4Hi, yep, goes in and crabwalks when turning.

Now I guess we wait and see if it winks out again.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Before you went to that dirt road, did you SAY something about going off-roading?
I can lead my German Shepherd right into a bathtub, no problem. But when I say “bath”, she is suddenly terrified of the bathtub.
Just sayin’.

Georgf

Reaction score
There are 2 connectors behind the shifter, you could try unplug and plug it’s again, possibly the issue is loose contact. Not sure, but probably you can reach that coonectors if you take off lower dash panel under the steering wheel.

Attachments

• A1F29D18-06C6-4C84-84AD-20B901E1721C.jpeg
    A1F29D18-06C6-4C84-84AD-20B901E1721C.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 35

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Saturday the wife and I went for a drive, and there's a dirt road I've been wanting to check out, so we sorta drifted that way. We reached the end of the pavement and I reached down to stick it in Auto 4 just because. Nothing happened. Then I noticed the 2WD light on the switch isn't even lit up. Just great....

We had no problem with the road in 2WD and I drove back home no problem. No messages, no warning lights, nothing.

Today before I called to make an appointment at the dealer, I went out to see if it had healed itself, the way the radio and the backup camera do from time to time. Start the truck, 2WD light is lit. Drive down the street and hit Auto, it lights up and the dash message shows up. Drive to a parking lot and test 4Hi, yep, goes in and crabwalks when turning.

Now I guess we wait and see if it winks out again.

Has this happened to anyone else?
That's not a good sign knowing this.

Users who are viewing this thread