5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Proper Use

PrimeHokage

Reaction score
Just purchased a new 2021 Ram 1500 limited with 4x4. Been searching for proper care of the 4WD. How often should I been using it to make sure it's properly taken care of?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just purchased a new 2021 Ram 1500 limited with 4x4. Been searching for proper care of the 4WD. How often should I been using it to make sure it's properly taken care of?
Welcome to the forum and congratulations!!

I put mine in 4WD Auto whenever it rains. Not sure if it makes any difference, but at least I can confirm everything works fine once or twice a month when I do this.

One more thing... Pls add your truck's vitals to your signature when you have a moment. This makes it easier for other folks to help in case you have questions or concerns about your vehicle.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Forgot to add that you can leave it in 4WD Auto anytime, so if you forget, you won’t damage anything driving in dry pavement. It’s just going to have some parasitic drag which may negligibly impact MPG, but it will be so minute that you won’t even notice.
When I first got my truck, I drove it like that for a week or two and I really did not see a difference between it and 2WD.

Cheers,

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I engage 4Hi and 4Lo at least once a month to keep things moving, don't want actuators to seize up or forget they have a job

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I engage 4Hi and 4Lo at least once a month to keep things moving, don't want actuators to seize up or forget they have a job
I do the same. I have a reminder set up on my phone calendar. I usually drive 4 hi out to the front of my neighborhood (approx .5 mile) and 4-lo from the nearest stop sign back to my house (approx 100 yds)

Users who are viewing this thread