5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD not engaging

bigwidge

Reaction score
Rented a house in the mountains with a steep dirt driveway (requires 4WD) only to learn on arrival that it won't switch to 4 high, low, or auto. Just flashes like it's trying but never actually goes. I can feel the transmission kick like it actually went to 4WD but the light constantly blinks. Took a chance and drove it up the hill to see if it actually was in 4WD, and got an error saying 4WD Overheated.

I read on some other posts it could be the actuator or a wire harness. Any people have this issue recently that can share how you fixed it?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Rented a house in the mountains with a steep dirt driveway (requires 4WD) only to learn on arrival that it won't switch to 4 high, low, or auto. Just flashes like it's trying but never actually goes. I can feel the transmission kick like it actually went to 4WD but the light constantly blinks. Took a chance and drove it up the hill to see if it actually was in 4WD, and got an error saying 4WD Overheated.

I read on some other posts it could be the actuator or a wire harness. Any people have this issue recently that can share how you fixed it?

There have been reports that oil from changing the filter out can drop down onto the actuator harness which is right underneath-ish the filter, which then runs into the plug in that cable. You can try disconnect the plug, spray it thoroughly with brake cleaner, then try again.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reason 1034 why you should routinely engage the different 4wd modes just to make sure they will work when you need them. I've seen posts from guys who had never used 4wd in 2-3 years, then were surprised when it wouldn't engage. You need to "exercise" the linkages and solenoids from time to time to make sure they don't get stuck.

As far as your issue, silver bullet offered some good advice on something to check. If it popped an overheat warning that quickly, there's a chance it wasn't fully engaged and was slipping the whole time, or the fluid was changing resistance values the PCM was seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread