5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD High - Turning tight it shutters (in snow / wet)

evanxrs

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel I got in Sept used with 45000km on it.
I am in Ontario and we have a lot of snow today. Pulling put of a parking spot and making a left turn in 4wd High it shutters. Feel really awkward. I know of this happening in some cases but throught it was more just dry pavement.
Then in an intersection making a u turn at a light and shuttered also. More progressive turn at a higher speed but did not feel right.
Any thoughts. Going in for an Oil change soon and gonna mention it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

SB09

Reaction score
That’s a good sign. Means everything is working as it should!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave07

Reaction score
100% normal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly, working as designed. 4 hi/low is not mean for pavement or high traction areas. You have a rebel so I don't think you have 4 auto, but that mode is what would work better in your scenario.

evanxrs

Reaction score
Yes. No auto...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Bearman95

Reaction score
That is exactly why I did not choose a rebel over a Laramie sport 4x4! No four wheel auto in a rebel!

Dave07

Reaction score
OP, the reason your truck does this is because when it’s locked in 4WD the 2 front wheels aren’t able to turn at different speeds (no differential). This causes the symptoms you are talking about and is 100% normal in a 4WD truck.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP, the reason your truck does this is because when it’s locked in 4WD the 2 front wheels aren’t able to turn at different speeds. This causes the symptoms you are talking about and is 100% normal in a 4WD truck.

They are able to turn at different speeds, but they're pulling in different directions when you turn (larger radius vs smaller radius). If we could lock the front differential then both would spin the same RPM.

Like others have said if your front tires have traction and you're in 4WD it's going to stutter because they're pulling in different directions. Dry pavement, wet pavement, plowed pavement, etc all provide some amount of traction. @evanxrs I would advise not putting it in 4Hi unless you're more or less going in a straight line or you've lost traction when trying to start moving/turn from a stop. Causing that stutter you feel too much and too often can cause the transfer case to bind and grenade itself, which is no fun for anyone. In the Rebel without 4 auto you're forced to pick and choose when to use 4Hi. The few times that it snows/ices here in Memphis I'm basically switching in and out of 4Hi constantly while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread