5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD clunk then disengaging

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
New one for me. Lots of snow on the ground lately. A few days ago I put the truck in 4WD High and it engaged fine, I think. Hit my first stop sign, turned right, and the front end lurched and clunked repeatedly until 4WD disengaged. Now it’s doing it every time. The odd thing there is no warning or alert when this happens. The 4WD High light stays illuminated throughout. This also happens in 4WD Auto now. Curious if anyone has had this issue.

The truck is still under warranty, but I can’t get in to the dealer until January 3rd 😳

squid013

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have lost a u-joint in the axle end, or maybe an issue inside the pumpkin

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have lost a u-joint in the axle end, or maybe an issue inside the pumpkin

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Loose CV axle according to do the dealer. Of course they are blaming it on the shop who installed my Fox coilovers. Dealer is quoting me $880 not covered under warranty. So back to the installer I go.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any shop that has a tech who is somewhat capable would be able to take less than a minute figuring out how to pull the strut without touching the axle. Either that shop is terrible, or the dealer is blowing smoke and using the coilovers as an excuse.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Any shop that has a tech who is somewhat capable would be able to take less than a minute figuring out how to pull the strut without touching the axle. Either that shop is terrible, or the dealer is blowing smoke and using the coilovers as an excuse.
Cannot get back in to the original installer for another week. That will be a month without my truck in the middle of an already epic winter up here in the Northwest. No fix in sight yet. Good times.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cannot get back in to the original installer for another week. That will be a month without my truck in the middle of an already epic winter up here in the Northwest. No fix in sight yet. Good times.
Things have been pretty bad where I live also. That sucks about the wait, hope it gets resolved by someone without you paying too much money.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Update: right front CV axle pops out. Dealer blamed it on aftermarket suspension install. Shop who did the install laughed at that, said they don’t even touch that. Coilovers are simple plug and play. Classic. $700 out of pocket to replace the CV axle. I hate my dealer.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Update: right front CV axle pops out. Dealer blamed it on aftermarket suspension install. Shop who did the install laughed at that, said they don’t even touch that. Coilovers are simple plug and play. Classic. $700 out of pocket to replace the CV axle. I hate my dealer.
Hopefully if you are paying, it is not to the stealership. If they won't cover it anyway, have your regular shop do it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

That could have messed with it, when you remove the lca to install the coil over, they could have moved the knuckle too far and popped it out.

The dealer isn’t wrong there. They don’t just pop out. Especially right after installing suspension components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You shouldn’t need to remove an LCA to install fox 2.5’s, but who knows what the shop did.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I had to remove them to remove my strut. It’s easier than popping the ball joint loose.

Ether way they ether removed the lca or popped the ball joint, and the knuckle could have swung out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread