5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd auto in Tradesman?

westtrout

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and appreciate the wealth of information on this site. I'm in the market for a used Ram 1500 (likely Tradesman given budget) in the near future and have been researching the different options and capabilities. One question I haven't been able to pin down even after searching forums is if 4wd auto is available on Tradesman, or if that feature is only available on Bighorn and higher trim levels? That seems to be the case for standard, but I'm not sure if it has even an available option.

Where I live in Montana we have snowy winters and varied road conditions so I like the 4wd auto feature. If it isn't available on the Tradesman then the anti-slip differential option seems like the next best feature to look for (along with getting a good set of snow tires). Or stretching the budget for the Bighorn...

Many thanks for any insights!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tradesman does not have the option for the 4wd auto. The REBEL used to only have the part time case standard...but you can get the 4wd auto now.

So yes. You have to get a Bighorn or up. If you are looking at used you also have to skip the REBEL too for 2019 and most of 2020.

westtrout

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming the 4wd auto availability on the Tradesman, as well as the additional info on the Rebel -- really appreciate the help!

3rtfan

Reaction score
Might want to look into the 4wd auto transfer case operation. I had it in my Bighorn and hated it. You actually never have true 4wd even in low. Rear has to slip before front comes in.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless you are just wanting the least costly new truck the BH has a lot of value and seems the highest seller so more deals on it.

Search the new pricing thread for high volume discount dealers and see what you can find.

Users who are viewing this thread