5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd Auto feels like 4wd High

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’m on my third winter in my 2020 Ram BTS (Bighorn). I don’t remember this happening before, but lately when I engage 4wd Auto the truck lurches and jumps around turns like it’s in 4wd High. Hopefully my memory isn’t fading at age 41, but I don’t recall the truck acting this way in the past. I wish there was a standard display on the cluster to provide real-time wheel power. Any thoughts?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is this on slippery roads or dry? When 4WD engages in Auto mode, it will feel like 4WD Hi.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I will only engage on variable surfaces ie. snow and ice. However, I’ll stop at a stop sign or light, and the intersection is dry, and I turn left or right and it still feels like I’m in 4wd High. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about differentials. I don’t see anything locked. My Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (thumbs up on those) are still in great shape and provide amazing traction. 35,000 miles on them…plan to replace before next winter at approx. 50,000 miles. They still have plenty of tread life. Appreciate your feedback!

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will only engage on variable surfaces ie. snow and ice. However, I’ll stop at a stop sign or light, and the intersection is dry, and I turn left or right and it still feels like I’m in 4wd High. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about differentials. I don’t see anything locked. My Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (thumbs up on those) are still in great shape and provide amazing traction. 35,000 miles on them…plan to replace before next winter at approx. 50,000 miles. They still have plenty of tread life. Appreciate your feedback!
do you have the axle lock button like in this.picture? if you do and its on, that could be why you feel it that way Screenshot_20221226_235510_Gallery.jpg

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Sweet rig man. I love my ram BTS, and I feel a similar way when taking slow turns on dry pavement. However my truck doesn't buck or jump/chirp the wheels in these turns, I just feel the front tires pulling me along and maybe some very slight binding. Not to blindly trust the computers in my 4wd system, but I believe the wet clutch in our transfer cases allows for some slip in situations like that. Unsure as to whether or not there may be long term effects from this little bit of binding, but I tend to really only use 4WD Auto when the roads are very wet or gravel/snow covered. I'm also running over sized tires and the computers have all been reflashed to accommodate a 35" tires over the factory 32.5's it came with.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m on my third winter in my 2020 Ram BTS (Bighorn). I don’t remember this happening before, but lately when I engage 4wd Auto the truck lurches and jumps around turns like it’s in 4wd High. Hopefully my memory isn’t fading at age 41, but I don’t recall the truck acting this way in the past. I wish there was a standard display on the cluster to provide real-time wheel power. Any thoughts?
Have you checked the tire pressure? A couple years ago I had the fronts over inflated and the rears under inflated, there was biding just going in a straight line as the rolling diameters were different front to rear

LouNY

Reaction score
When you are in auto 4wd the front axle connector is engaged so both of your front axle shafts are turning from the tires rolling,
the transfer case will not apply the wet clutch pack until the computer decides you have rear wheel slippage.
When it detects slippage it will send a variable voltage signal to the electronic clutch in the t case, it will also monitor steering angle
and use that value in deciding how much input to send to the clutch pak.
In auto 4wd under normal circumstances you may be able to feel the axle ujoints working while turning.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
When you are in auto 4wd the front axle connector is engaged so both of your front axle shafts are turning from the tires rolling,
the transfer case will not apply the wet clutch pack until the computer decides you have rear wheel slippage.
When it detects slippage it will send a variable voltage signal to the electronic clutch in the t case, it will also monitor steering angle
In auto 4wd under normal circumstances you may be able to feel the axle ujoints working while turning.
Well there it is, I’m going with this one. Thanks, LouNY. Today was a bit warmer and snow turned to slush and some melted altogether on the streets. In 4wd Auto I could definitely feel the front axle shafts working but did not get the lurching while turning like you do in 4wd High.

Side note, I did engage 4wd LOW to pull a car out of an embankment today. Truck worked like a charm. This is a great rig. This is also a great forum to discuss these things. Thanks everyone!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don’t the CV shafts spin with the wheels at all times, even in 2wd? There’s no hub locks so I thought they did.

ramhouston

Reaction score
4WD auto is 4WD auto but i never run that sucker unless the road surfaces are slippery. can’t afford to let that system take out my CV axles and etc..

LouNY

Reaction score
naturally they do.
Yes the shafts turn, but the axle disconnect allows the ring and pinion to not be spun, the spider gears in the differential do most of the running,
when the axle disconnect is engaged the ring and pinion are spinning and the front driveshaft is turning in sync with the rest of the drivetrain.

Users who are viewing this thread