5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Auto etc...

Mikebighorn

Reaction score
Had my truck in 4wd auto and I notice when turning the wheel almost all the way and at slow speeds the tires like start to slip and it’s very jerky. Even in reverse it seems jerky . Can any body tell me why.
it’s pouring outside and they said it is fine to use 4wd auto in rain and 4wd High for more slippery conditions like snow .
so why is my truck slipping when I’m turning and stuff any ideas ??
55755577-6B41-49A9-9962-7CF9CB876BF3.jpeg

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I use 4wd auto on everything except deep mud. I use it when in deep snow and or on glare ice. No issues. If you are applying a lot of gas on slippery surfaces then the traction light will come on and it could be jerky

short of that, maybe it just doesn’t like you and it’s doing it on purpose out of protest :)

Is it making any unusual sounds?

Mikebighorn

Reaction score
I use 4wd auto on everything except deep mud. I use it when in deep snow and or on glare ice. No issues. If you are applying a lot of gas on slippery surfaces then the traction light will come on and it could be jerky

short of that, maybe it just doesn’t like you and it’s doing it on purpose out of protest :)

Is it making any unusual sounds?

No unusual sounds besides the slipping of the tires . it will do it when making a U turn or any time you have to wheel turned all the way .

eyeguy

Reaction score
I think that is pretty normal. 4wd high or low especially with e-lock if you had it would be the worst. 4wd with limited slip rear would be second worst, 4 wd auto when its a little sandy on road surface might bind or hop a little but shoudnt be bad. Guessing you havent driven many trucks with 4wd or in 4wd? I probably wouldnt put it in 4 auto for just wet unless it was muddy or concerned about freezing... It deff shouldnt be bad unless slow, accelerating and turning fairly sharp

Mikebighorn

Reaction score
From your second description i say normal
Yes exactly what you said . It’s when turning hard and accelerating slow . It also happens when moving slow in reverse and turning.

just curious why this is happening .

before this I had a 4matic E350 Mercedes .
So never had this kind of problem lol .
This is my first pickup truck lol.
I do drive much bigger trucks for work but they don’t have 4wd lol

but yea I’m definitely curious what the reason is for

barr0208

Reaction score
I don't know about your truck but I drive mine in 4wheel auto all winter with no binding of any kind . and my 2016 was fine and my 2019 is better for reaction to slipping but no binding.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Perhaps type of rear differential might play a role here. I have on open rear diff and never had any srt of binding or hopping in 4 auto.

eyeguy

Reaction score
Do you have limited slip rear? Or open diff?

Users who are viewing this thread