5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD actuator replacement, back ordered indefinitely.

Swampy86

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel with 24,000 miles. A few weeks ago it started taking forever for the truck to complete shifts into 4WD. Finally I would end up getting a “service 4wd system” message.

After sitting at my dealer for over a week, I get a phone call saying that it needs the front axle 4wd actuator replaced, but the part is backordered indefinitely. They told me I can pick up the truck, but they’ve disabled the 4WD functions until the part is replaced. This doesn’t seem like a very satisfactory resolution as I actually use my truck as intended and need 4WD. The replacement is being covered under the power train warranty. If the part is truly unavailable I’m not sure escalating the issue will have any effect. Anybody have any similar experience with this issue and if so how long did it take to get resolved?

Swampy86

Reaction score
Rock has 3 different ones in stock right npw you could install till the mopar one becomes available
Thanks for the help. I’ll call the service department and see if they’d be willing to throw one of these in for me in the meantime.

jj141979

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I’ll call the service department and see if they’d be willing to throw one of these in for me in the meantime.
I honestly dont think its hard to change yourself but im not sure... i would crawl under and see if you can change ot yourself and if the dealer dont want to get you an aftermarket and install for you i would get it and install myself and wait till the oem one comes in... at least you'll be able to use your 4wd in the meantime

edgarrian

Reaction score
Did RamCares ever actually reach out? Seems like that can be hit or miss

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
They will want a PM with your vin so just go ahead and send them one.

Swampy86

Reaction score
I was never able to get ahold of Ram Cares. However, about a month after the part was ordered, it randomly just appeared. The dealer was as surprised as I was. I did about 75 miles of dirt and deep sand today and it seemed to work just fine. I see a Raptor in my future though I think. These are beautiful trucks and I have zero complaints driving on road, but man they sure do lack in the off road ride department.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was never able to get ahold of Ram Cares. However, about a month after the part was ordered, it randomly just appeared. The dealer was as surprised as I was. I did about 75 miles of dirt and deep sand today and it seemed to work just fine. I see a Raptor in my future though I think. These are beautiful trucks and I have zero complaints driving on road, but man they sure do lack in the off road ride department.

Why would you get a Raptor when the superior TRX is available?

Swampy86

Reaction score
Why would you get a Raptor when the superior TRX is available?
Well first of all, given the number of problems I’ve had with my Ram, I don’t think I’d ever buy another. The only reason I bought one in the first place is that I needed a full sized truck and they were practically giving Rebels away back in 2019. Now I know why.

Second, while the TRX definitely has the power advantage I’m not looking for more power. I’m looking for better suspension and in that regard no other full size truck can touch the Raptor. Especially when you throw the Eclick controller on those live valves.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well first of all, given the number of problems I’ve had with my Ram, I don’t think I’d ever buy another. The only reason I bought one in the first place is that I needed a full sized truck and they were practically giving Rebels away back in 2019. Now I know why.

Second, while the TRX definitely has the power advantage I’m not looking for more power. I’m looking for better suspension and in that regard no other full size truck can touch the Raptor. Especially when you throw the Eclick controller on those live valves.
So, since you know...why was Ram giving away Rebels? If I had a bunch of problems with any truck, I would probably look elsewhere too. Hopefully you have better luck with the Ford.

Suspension is very subjective. There's no doubt that the Raptor is a very capable off-road truck, but the differences between the two are very minor.

Swampy86

Reaction score
Well back in 2019 they were a dime a dozen. My dealer here in Las Vegas had about 30 Rebels sitting on the lot at the time. I paid 45k for a truck that supposedly stickered at 70k. Personally my experience with the Ram product is that they're very cheaply built so I would guess that's why they had so much room to mark them down. Take the A-arms being plastic as an example. Or the fact that my 4wd actuator failed at 24k miles, and my sway bar end links are already shot. Or the 12 inch screen which really isn't good for anything other than freezing up randomly.

Just my personal experience. I'd take the fully rebuildable 3.1 Fox live shocks on the Raptor over anything on a Ram vehicle even the TRX. After driving both they really aren't even in the same ballpark. The howl of the TRX is pretty cool though.

edgarrian

Reaction score
My computer screen kept restarting every 3 minutes. I was changed out under warranty. It was 1400 and my warranty at the time of purchase was 1000 no deductible. So i lucked out there. So far thats been my only problem. My truck was used heavily in North Dakota as I worked for a producer. SO my truck had seen extreme weather and various road conditions. Its held up thus far. Now I dont dont drive in into the dunes or take it off roading where im sure Id be disappointed but this doesn't mean that the Ford Raptor doesn't have its own set of issues. Any truck thats going to be takin off road is going to have problems. The raptor has common issues as well. Here are just a few Transmission issues, most common leaking oil pan, info system problems, and ignition. Reason why they dont give them away. They dont make nearly as many. Thats why you can purchase an F150, Rebel, Z-71 for much lower than sticker. You really are not comparing apples to apples. And you will likely have issues with the Raptor. I get it. You have already dumped the rebel in your mind for a superior truck. So you will name everything thats better without acknowledging known issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every comparison article I have read between the Raptor and the TRX, the TRX came out ahead in every category, including suspension. Seems you are dead set on a Raptor, so not going to waste anymore time on it.

Swampy86

Reaction score
My computer screen kept restarting every 3 minutes. I was changed out under warranty. It was 1400 and my warranty at the time of purchase was 1000 no deductible. So i lucked out there. So far thats been my only problem. My truck was used heavily in North Dakota as I worked for a producer. SO my truck had seen extreme weather and various road conditions. Its held up thus far. Now I dont dont drive in into the dunes or take it off roading where im sure Id be disappointed but this doesn't mean that the Ford Raptor doesn't have its own set of issues. Any truck thats going to be takin off road is going to have problems. The raptor has common issues as well. Here are just a few Transmission issues, most common leaking oil pan, info system problems, and ignition. Reason why they dont give them away. They dont make nearly as many. Thats why you can purchase an F150, Rebel, Z-71 for much lower than sticker. You really are not comparing apples to apples. And you will likely have issues with the Raptor. I get it. You have already dumped the rebel in your mind for a superior truck. So you will name everything thats better without acknowledging known issues.
You’re completely correct that the Raptors have issues too. Every modern truck does. There is definitely a chance I’d be trading one set of problems for another. I’d be a lot more willing to live with issues though if my truck brought a smile to my face when it worked correctly though. Even on its best day the Rebel just isn’t designed for the punishing environment of the desert. That’s just reality.

Swampy86

Reaction score
Every comparison article I have read between the Raptor and the TRX, the TRX came out ahead in every category, including suspension. Seems you are dead set on a Raptor, so not going to waste anymore time on it.
Listen I’m not trying to bash the TRX, I’ve driven both. The TRX is fast, but as someone who lives in the desert, if I’m going to spend the money on a halo truck, it’s going to be the one designed for the Baja not the one designed to go the fastest on the street. If I lived in Ohio, I’d choose the TRX in a heartbeat. The smaller shocks on the TRX combined with its heavier weight are not a good combo for actual off pavement driving. Not to mention it gets like 10MPG and gas down here is like $6/Gal.

Users who are viewing this thread