5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Generation Diesel......issues?

Skyflyer

Reaction score
I have been looking at 5th generation used ecodiesels but have begun looking at the 4th generation ecodiesels --specifically the 2018 models. Someone told me that the ecodiesel engines from the 4th generation had problems. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want more info, you can visit ecodieselram.com forum.
What I have read on the 2nd generation Ecodiesel was mainly issues with the new pollution control system they had to install to meet regulations.
Earlier model years had main crank bearing problems because of the lower viscosity oil that was being used, the manual had then changed from 5w30 to 5w40 oil.
You must be careful on what you read, a lot of people tend to be negative and that is sometimes understandable, but there are a lot more positive people not posting good things.
I went from a 2nd generation with the 5.9 Magnum engine to 4th generation with the 5.7 Hemi engine and now 5th generation Ram with the 3rd generation 3.0 Ecodiesel.
There is a big difference from technologies/upgrades/available features and price from one generation to the next.

Good luck with your search.

Skyflyer

Reaction score
If you want more info, you can visit ecodieselram.com forum.
What I have read on the 2nd generation Ecodiesel was mainly issues with the new pollution control system they had to install to meet regulations.
Earlier model years had main crank bearing problems because of the lower viscosity oil that was being used, the manual had then changed from 5w30 to 5w40 oil.
You must be careful on what you read, a lot of people tend to be negative and that is sometimes understandable, but there are a lot more positive people not posting good things.
I went from a 2nd generation with the 5.9 Magnum engine to 4th generation with the 5.7 Hemi engine and now 5th generation Ram with the 3rd generation 3.0 Ecodiesel.
There is a big difference from technologies/upgrades/available features and price from one generation to the next.

Good luck with your search.
Thank you!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread