5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th gen vs 5th gen

CallMeChris

Reaction score
How does the 5th gen do compared to the 4th? I’ve not had a chance to hook my camper up behind the new truck yet but it’s optioned out very similar to my old truck....crew cab, 4x4, 5.7, 3.92 gears, factory brake controller, etc... My window sticker shows something called trailer sway damping. Is this something that is actually noticeable? My 4th gen towed our 24’ camper like it wasn’t back there but did have a slight sway in high winds or when passing a truck even with a anti-sway hitch. Should I expect this to be gone with the trucks damping?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 5th Gen has a lot of standard safety features for towing...but they aren't new to it. The 4th Gen had them also, not 100% sure when they started...but I learned about them looking to buy a 2018.

But it really just helps the truck control sway seamlessly vs you having too, the truck won't stop the trailer from swaying. If you understand what I mean.

The bigger brakes and larger capacity axles are the big news they did.

Can not wait to hear your opinion of how it tows.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Well if the 5th gen has a longer wheelbase that might make a notable difference. The main thing with towing stability is in the setting up of tongue & axle weights with your WDH & other weight distribution. This is concretely do-able with a CAT scale.

If you just hook your camper up blindly it’s mostly luck of the draw as to which one is closer to being ideal and less about which truck is better.

Users who are viewing this thread