5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th gen vs 5th gen receiver height

pgienger

Reaction score
So I can't seem to find any info searching the fine web about the height of the receiver hitch on a 4th gen ram. My confusion is that I just went to set up our old hitch on my new 2019 w/air & off-road to pull our camper and was surprised that the hitch shank I formerly used on my 2011 was set up as close to perfect as it will get. I was expecting to have to drop the ball on the shank one "set" of holes due to the lift, not even considering 100k mile springs vs brand new air.

Does anyone have a 4th gen laying around that could be measured on nice level ground? I asked the in-laws who happen to also have a 2011 with a similar config, but he couldn't be really accurate due to being parked on gravel in the yard. His was about 1" *higher* than mine, supposedly to the bottom of the receiver shank.

If you've ever set up these hitches you know that measurements are sortof a big deal, especially if you've set one up wrong before. I was also surprised that the front didn't lift more than an inch (probably way less) w/o having the WDH bars engaged. Guess we'll know for sure about a mile away from home when we hit the highway on Friday.

Cheddy

Reaction score
So I can't seem to find any info searching the fine web about the height of the receiver hitch on a 4th gen ram. My confusion is that I just went to set up our old hitch on my new 2019 w/air & off-road to pull our camper and was surprised that the hitch shank I formerly used on my 2011 was set up as close to perfect as it will get. I was expecting to have to drop the ball on the shank one "set" of holes due to the lift, not even considering 100k mile springs vs brand new air.

Does anyone have a 4th gen laying around that could be measured on nice level ground? I asked the in-laws who happen to also have a 2011 with a similar config, but he couldn't be really accurate due to being parked on gravel in the yard. His was about 1" *higher* than mine, supposedly to the bottom of the receiver shank.

If you've ever set up these hitches you know that measurements are sortof a big deal, especially if you've set one up wrong before. I was also surprised that the front didn't lift more than an inch (probably way less) w/o having the WDH bars engaged. Guess we'll know for sure about a mile away from home when we hit the highway on Friday.

I measured my 14 and my 19 and they were within a half inch. Keep in mind my 2019 has ORG so has 1 inch lift. 19 was a half inch taller.

Users who are viewing this thread