5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Gen vs 5th Gen - looking to purchase

rubrduk

Reaction score
Silverado owner,...was fascinated by the Classic Warlock, but then I could not find a Warlock with the specs I want/need....so I dove deep on the DT Big Horn.

I'm now hitting the reality that the DT is a budget stretch for me with the must-have trailer spec options I want, so I'm back looking at Warlocks...but the local inventory is nonexistent, but I'm widening my search and finding trucks 300-400 miles away in the next state over.

Now the big question...I'm looking at a Warlock in the $35-36 range vs a DT Big Horn in the $43-45 range. (prices after significant haggling)

The creature comforts are reasonably important and the DT Tradesman doesn't have bucket seats and will get expensive and almost into Big Horn specs

Am I doing myself a disservice by considering the Classic Warlock?

Info:
daily commute: 70 miles x 5 days week (Los Angeles)
RV travel trailer: 7000lbs max

jastevenson

Reaction score
You should definitely be able to get into a Big Horn in the high 30s if you are judicious with the options.

5th gen was a big leap forward, especially in crashworthiness.

But the Ram Classic is certainly still cheaper than a 5th gen, comparably equipped.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe building something off of the ram website. Print it out and take it to the dealer to see if you can order it.

At that point, the dealer knows your interested..and might try to get you into something on the lot and give you a better price on something mor expensive.

That’s what happened to me. Couldn’t afford what they had on the lot..so I built something out from a bighorn. Then 2 days later, we negotiated back and forth on a Laramie on the lot...and I took that home instead.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Maybe building something off of the ram website. Print it out and take it to the dealer to see if you can order it.

At that point, the dealer knows your interested..and might try to get you into something on the lot and give you a better price on something mor expensive.

That’s what happened to me. Couldn’t afford what they had on the lot..so I built something out from a bighorn. Then 2 days later, we negotiated back and forth on a Laramie on the lot...and I took that home instead.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Great tip.

Rexx

Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with the 4th Gen trucks but obviously Ram upped the game with the 5th Gens.
If the warlock has everything you want and you’re saving 7-10k on it, I’d say it’s a no brainer to go with the warlock. If the warlock is missing features you’d like to have in the Bighorn, then I guess it comes down to how much you value those features.

If it was me, I’d probably go with the 5th gen but I also really like the look of the 5th gen trucks and was tired of the 4th gens after owning 2 of them.

emings

Reaction score
Silverado owner,...was fascinated by the Classic Warlock, but then I could not find a Warlock with the specs I want/need....so I dove deep on the DT Big Horn.

I'm now hitting the reality that the DT is a budget stretch for me with the must-have trailer spec options I want, so I'm back looking at Warlocks...but the local inventory is nonexistent, but I'm widening my search and finding trucks 300-400 miles away in the next state over.

Now the big question...I'm looking at a Warlock in the $35-36 range vs a DT Big Horn in the $43-45 range. (prices after significant haggling)

The creature comforts are reasonably important and the DT Tradesman doesn't have bucket seats and will get expensive and almost into Big Horn specs

Am I doing myself a disservice by considering the Classic Warlock?

Info:
daily commute: 70 miles x 5 days week (Los Angeles)
RV travel trailer: 7000lbs max
Is ride quality important to you the 5th gen rides so much better than the 4th gen does.

AZHUND

Reaction score
I browsed Warlocks a few times, but could not justify the big loss in comfort/styling the DTs offer for the minor savings by going with a Warlock (after adding 4x4 and 8.4" screen - options I cared about - the spread between a Warlock and a Bighorn was marginal - like maybe $2k). Maybe your dealer only has loaded Bighorns that is making the spread look bigger? If so, agree with above on looking into ordering one with the equipment level you want.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Warlocks are going for 31-32k where I live ($11,000 off) but they are all quad cab V6 versions. If that fits your needs, they are a good deal. I got one on a lease last year for about $150\month with zero down. I think the Warlock looks better than any version of the 5th gen, and it comes with things you don’t get on a 5th gen, like wheel well liners and the ability to run E85.

Side note: there are relative shortages of almost every type of vehicle right now from every brand, and almost every discount is far worse than normal. Only Ford has the standard $16,000+ discounts right now in my area.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5th Gen all day long. The Warlock looks so outdated and cheesy. The front grill and headlights look like real cheap aftermarket junk to me.

Users who are viewing this thread