5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4auto 'feeling in pedal'

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a 2019 bighorn with 4auto and never noticed any difference in noise or feel between 2wd and 4auto. Traded that in for a 2021 Laramie and now when I use 4auto I get just the slightest sense through the gas pedal that there is a little drag or resistance. Can hear anything and it functions as intended - almost think it is all in my head! Has anyone else experienced this?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '20 I can feel/hear just a hint of extra vibes/noise when I switch from 2wd to 4auto if I really pay attention.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed it on my 2019 Hemi and brought it in to be checked and was told it was normal. Did not notice it on my 2020 ecodiesel

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get the sense that there is some drag somewhere when in 4auto. But it doesn't seem to be real, it still coasts easily when I let off the gas.

There is. Your front diff is engaged and your tcase clutch is partially engaged when in 4auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkm312

Reaction score
To the OP. I get the same sensation from the truck as you describe in the colder temps of winter. It is normal because as stated above the tcase clutches are partially engaged as they should be. Once it's warmed up to operating temps I don't notice it. I make a point of engaging the tcase every so often just to keep it stirred up a little in warmer temps.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've felt it since day one. I assume it's normal. Everything functions properly.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies and it is true I generally am using the 4auto on short trips in town in cold weather. Guess I'm just surprised I never noticed it in my 2019.

Al Slick

Reaction score
Mine does the same. 2wd feels great. 4Auto feels exactly like 4wd is engaged in a way. Like drag or vibrations through the gas pedal and steering wheel.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
For me compared to my 4th gen the 5th gen in 4 auto is almost undetectable. I also notice less of a mpg hit as an added bonus.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I've just been driving my '20 in 4auto for the first time, and when temps were in the teens I noticed it dragging a touch. Then it warmed up to 30's and I didn't notice it. Like others have said, it's probably temp related with warming the front gear up.
OR I've been driving in 4 auto a lot now and maybe it's breaking in?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not the pedal, but I feel a slight tugging or pulsing in the steering wheel in 4 auto. It's definitely not as smooth as 2wd

Users who are viewing this thread