5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

48 Volt Power Pack Unit Charging

dsmonline

Reaction score
Not putting many miles on my truck these days, so I have taken to using a charger every once in a while to top off the 12 volt battery. Do we know if the 48 volt PPU gets charged up simultaneously when using a charger on the 12 volt battery or is the only way to charge the PPU is by driving the truck? Also, my battery looks like a sealed AGM, however it does not say so on it. Since my charger has separate selections for AGM or standard type batteries, do we know what type the 12 volt battery is that comes on the limited?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not putting many miles on my truck these days, so I have taken to using a charger every once in a while to top off the 12 volt battery. Do we know if the 48 volt PPU gets charged up simultaneously when using a charger on the 12 volt battery or is the only way to charge the PPU is by driving the truck? Also, my battery looks like a sealed AGM, however it does not say so on it. Since my charger has separate selections for AGM or standard type batteries, do we know what type the 12 volt battery is that comes on the limited?
I don’t think the two are linked as far as charging goes. The 48v gets charged by the regenerative system.

On your second question, I believe that eTorque vehicles get the AGM batteries (based on posts on this forum). Perhaps someone else with an eTorque can verify. Perhaps our resident EE @securityguy can chime in.

Cheers,

jimchi

Reaction score
Driving charges the 48V battery through the eTorque motor. The 48V system charges the 12V system via a DC-DC converter built into the PPU. The 12V system cannot charge the 48V system. The 48V PPU is a lithium-ion type battery, and they tend to keep their charge for much longer periods than other battery chemistries. I'd say if you drive once a month, and for long enough to get the engine up to operating temp, you'll probably be OK.

I have a Limited w/ eTorque, but my battery is not labeled as an AGM. I don't know if that means for certain that my battery is not an AGM, however.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Driving charges the 48V battery through the eTorque motor. The 48V system charges the 12V system via a DC-DC converter built into the PPU. The 12V system cannot charge the 48V system. The 48V PPU is a lithium-ion type battery, and they tend to keep their charge for much longer periods than other battery chemistries. I'd say if you drive once a month, and for long enough to get the engine up to operating temp, you'll probably be OK.

I have a Limited w/ eTorque, but my battery is not labeled as an AGM. I don't know if that means for certain that my battery is not an AGM, however.
Thanks. That’s what I thought.
Yeah, no one seems to really know what kind of batteries we have. Some say AGM and some don’t. I don’t even think the dealers know.

dsmonline

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, about what I was expecting. Agreed that the 48v battery should not drain down nearly as quickly as the 12v, I will probably not concern myself with it. I have seen that 2 weeks of sitting in my garage without driving requires a charger be put on the 12v however. I do plan on using the 'AGM' and '10 Amp' selections on the charger for now. It is a high-end smart charger that is fully automatic, so I feel safe doing so.

We still are not really sure if a 2020 Limited with eTorque has an AGM type battery or not. If anyone has additional info, please chime in.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t think the two are linked as far as charging goes. The 48v gets charged by the regenerative system.

On your second question, I believe that eTorque vehicles get the AGM batteries (based on posts on this forum). Perhaps someone else with an eTorque can verify. Perhaps our resident EE @securityguy can chime in.

Cheers,
Not an AGM. It's a decent battery, not great, made by Clarios...same company that makes the Optima Rep and Yellow Top batteries. If you buy the battery after warranty, it only has a one year warranty. If replacing this battery, you want the one in the second link below.

dsmonline

Reaction score
Not an AGM. It's a decent battery, not great, made by Clarios...same company that makes the Optima Rep and Yellow Top batteries. If you buy the battery after warranty, it only has a one year warranty. If replacing this battery, you want the one in the second link below.

I do not believe the first link you provided is the correct battery for my truck, the site says it will not fit and it looks different (if we can believe the picture is accurate). I have the second link already bookmarked for my replacement when the time comes. Could the eTorque engines use a different battery than a non eTorque?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do not believe the first link you provided is the correct battery for my truck, the site says it will not fit and it looks different (if we can believe the picture is accurate). I have the second link already bookmarked for my replacement when the time comes. Could the eTorque engines use a different battery than a non eTorque?
Do you have an eTorque? That part number came right off the battery itself. Go pop your hood and see if you have the same part number.

RAM Battery.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep, that is the one I have. AGM or no?
Does not appear to be based on what I can see. AGM batteries are spill proof and this is labeled that if tilted it can spill acid. Typically, all AGM batteries say AGM and even the MOPAR descriptor doesn't reference AGM. It really shouldn't be this hard to tell 😂

Last edited:

jimchi

Reaction score
If you want a more budget friendly AGM battery, I recommend the Exide 94R AGM. $155 from RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10521396. Though there's been some question as to the warranty process through RockAuto, I've never had an issue myself. The battery can also be found elsewhere; I bought mine from Amazon in 2014.

I used this battery for six years in my G8 before I sold it. I live in a cold climate and never had a problem with the Exide. Remember that Exide is also the white label manufacturer for many of the store brands you see. Personally I think the more expensive batteries from boutique manufacturers are charging you for marketing.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you want a more budget friendly AGM battery, I recommend the Exide 94R AGM. $155 from RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10521396. Though there's been some question as to the warranty process through RockAuto, I've never had an issue myself. The battery can also be found elsewhere; I bought mine from Amazon in 2014.

I used this battery for six years in my G8 before I sold it. I live in a cold climate and never had a problem with the Exide. Remember that Exide is also the white label manufacturer for many of the store brands you see. Personally I think the more expensive batteries from boutique manufacturers are charging you for marketing.
I'm sure the Exide battery is just fine. I, for one, don't like "just fine". The Odyssey and X2Power batteries are the best AGM batteries you can buy and have an incredible reputation. If you're on a budget, get an Exide. If you want a great battery, and don't mind spending about $100 more, get the X2Power. The Odyssey and X2Power are not made by a boutique manufacturer. They are made by EnerSys who makes most all batteries for data center across the world and most Semi Trucks use them in their diesel engines. The Odyssey is the most highly decorated battery on the market (Northstar, who makes the X2Power, is made by EnerSys and actually carries a 60 month warranty versus a 48).

jimchi

Reaction score
I'm sure the Exide battery is just fine. I, for one, don't like "just fine". The Odyssey and X2Power batteries are the best AGM batteries you can buy and have an incredible reputation. If you're on a budget, get an Exide. If you want a great battery, and don't mind spending about $100 more, get the X2Power. The Odyssey and X2Power are not made by a boutique manufacturer. They are made by EnerSys who makes most all batteries for data center across the world and most Semi Trucks use them in their diesel engines. The Odyssey is the most highly decorated battery on the market (Northstar, who makes the X2Power, is made by EnerSys and actually carries a 60 month warranty versus a 48).
Hey, it's your money, so spend it how you like. I will say, when I worked in the electrical utility world, it was very common to see Exide batteries powering the DC relaying circuits in both distribution and transmission substations.

Is a $150 premium worth it for an extra year of warranty? That's your call.

Users who are viewing this thread