5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40K service

falconer

Reaction score
I'm about 500 miles shy of 40K. My dealership in south Austin has been far less than responsive to phone calls and inquiries for what I've needed in the past, so I've been using a closer independent for oil changes, etc., and keep all receipts for oil changes and what-not. For two days, I've been playing tag with them about what I'll need at 40K and will obviously be patronizing the independent due to their apathy. I need to know what needs to be addressed: 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi, Laramie Sport, 2WD. Thanks to all for any and all responses.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, the dealership will usually pad their service package of stuff not needed, download the RAM DT service schedule, it will show want you what needs to be done.

I don't think there is a lot to be done by 40K, even under severe duty, it's mostly inspections. Remember your powertrain warranty is for 5 years or 60K miles.

A quick search on my truck says at 40K

- Inspect front suspension, tie rod ends, and replace as necessary.
- Inspect the brake linings, replace as necessary.
- Replace cabin air filter

And that's it, assuming you did the things at 10K, 20K and 30K.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I took my wife's 2017 Durango in to get snow tires off a few weeks ago. Dealer calls me and says that the service tech checked the engine and cabin air filters and were dirty, he recommended replacing them both.

I literally changed them both about a month previously and wrote the date and mileage on them. Makes it really hard to trust anything a dealership/mechanic tells you that your vehicle "needs".

Read the service intervals in the manual as someone previously stated. And if the mechanic tells you something is needed, ask for a reason and evidence!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I clean the throttle body with carb cleaner every 25k on my vehicles. Just try to get the back side of the plate and edges. Improves responsiveness. If you do it use a lint free non-shedding cloth.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I took my wife's 2017 Durango in to get snow tires off a few weeks ago. Dealer calls me and says that the service tech checked the engine and cabin air filters and were dirty, he recommended replacing them both.

I literally changed them both about a month previously and wrote the date and mileage on them. Makes it really hard to trust anything a dealership/mechanic tells you that your vehicle "needs".

Read the service intervals in the manual as someone previously stated. And if the mechanic tells you something is needed, ask for a reason and evidence!
Haha! I got you beat. I took my Frontier to Nissan for a free oil change deal and they told me about the dirty cabin air filter. I reminded the guy this modle did not have one, that would be the next trim level up. Guy just stood there looking stupid and went back to checking me out and shut up. 😄

Dewey

Reaction score
I haven’t been to a dealer to have any type of service done other than recalls since 2003. So much crooked stuff going on trying to steal your hard earned money. Everything in those expensive service packages is easy enough to do yourself and costs a small fraction what they charge.

falconer

Reaction score
As mentioned, the dealership will usually pad their service package of stuff not needed, download the RAM DT service schedule, it will show want you what needs to be done.

I don't think there is a lot to be done by 40K, even under severe duty, it's mostly inspections. Remember your powertrain warranty is for 5 years or 60K miles.

A quick search on my truck says at 40K

- Inspect front suspension, tie rod ends, and replace as necessary.
- Inspect the brake linings, replace as necessary.
- Replace cabin air filter

And that's it, assuming you did the things at 10K, 20K and 30K.

Thanks for your informative answer. I have done all service requirements on schedule, and just wanted to be sure about 40K. I'm going to an independent due to the attitude of just about every person in my purchase-dealership's service department.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will play devil's advocate here and say this...

There are a lot of crooked dealerships out there, yes, but there are some that have good sales people, and some that have good mechanics/service advisors. Its rare to find one with both. And some will change, based on management changes.

The local dealership here used to be terrible. These past few years, however, their sales department seems to have slightly improved, and their service advisors/mechanics majorly improved. I'm still not going to recommend their sales people to anyone, but I do not tell people to stay away from them anymore either.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are honest dealerships but they are still very expensive. Some charge over $100 to change the cabin aire filter. I just changed mine for the first time......took me less than ten minutes....bought the filter on Amazon for under 10 bucks. I watched a video on youtube first.......nothing to it.

Jako

Reaction score
Honda dealership, 2017 Civic, $500.00+
Battery
Oil change
Cabin filter
Air filter
Best part, I just changed the oil myself from that $500+ package, 4+ quarts in a 3.7 quart system. Top dollar for an oil change and they can't get it right.:poop:(n)
Second time I've tried to use a Honda dealership for maintenance.
Bad experiences for the most part.
Honda added $4 on a $200 key for "shop material" or something like that, same dealership tried to sell the wife unneeded brakes.
Part's department for Ram has been good. Service is always backed up.
Ford parts I walked out of my local dealership and headed to NJ, pretty good there.

Users who are viewing this thread