5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 wheel drive question

pmegason

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this but here it goes. I have a 2019 1500 Lonestar 4X4 with 42K miles. I have used 4 wheel low maybe 3 times to pull somebody stuck out. I just got an alert saying I need to service 4 wheel drive. I received one of these alerts about 6 months ago but it went away immediately. Does it really need maintenance or is it a glitch? If it needs maintenance, what does that Intel?
Thanks

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It doesn't mean it needs routine service, it means it has detected a problem. The problem may have cured itself already, so the light is out, but the code may still be stored. If the light is still on, then the dealer can access it easily. It could be as simple as something is stiff and didn't move fast enough when commanded to, or a magnetic sensor got coated with iron filings and is giving a weak signal because of it. Maybe a loose wire. You won't know until someone hooks up a scanner and sees what it's upset about.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this but here it goes. I have a 2019 1500 Lonestar 4X4 with 42K miles. I have used 4 wheel low maybe 3 times to pull somebody stuck out. I just got an alert saying I need to service 4 wheel drive. I received one of these alerts about 6 months ago but it went away immediately. Does it really need maintenance or is it a glitch? If it needs maintenance, what does that Intel?
Thanks
I would have it checked out to be certain. It could be needing differential/transfer case fluid change, this seems to be a common thing on here with people getting the service 4wd light.

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
I was told by a RAM dealership service manager, that when the “Service 4wd Light/Message” comes on it had detected an issue with the ‘Front Diff Engagement System’.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told by a RAM dealership service manager, that when the “Service 4wd Light/Message” comes on it had detected an issue with the ‘Front Diff Engagement System’.
I could see that being the case if OP can't get the 4wd to engage.
Is that happening along with the message?

pmegason

Reaction score
Ok thanks everybody. I will have the dealer hook up the scanner just to make sure everything is good.

Krootz

Reaction score
I saw a TSB on this recently when I was looking through them for another issue. I think it said there was an "update" they would flash to the computer on the truck.
Something about the power delivery module IIRC. Sorry for being kinda vague, hopefully it points you in the right direction though.

Users who are viewing this thread