5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 USB outlets

McBroom

Reaction score
Which of the 4 USB outlets under the radio and A/C do I need to use for the android auto(AA) to work
076d5ebec1eee1d077bde1a5577141dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

McBroom

Reaction score
Any of them
The bottom left doesn't work steadily. It wont stay on when i use my wireless charger.
The only port that will power my charger is the one in the console

Stony0604

Reaction score
The bottom left doesn't work steadily. It wont stay on when i use my wireless charger.

Gotcha. You may want to get that serviced. They should all work as charging, and data transfer for Android Auto/Car Play

McBroom

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought something might be wrong.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As Stony0604 said they should all work.

The only stipulation is that even though there are 4 ports there are only 2 'channels'. Channel 1 and Channel 2 each have a USB-A and USB-C port. You can plug something into each port and all 4 items with charge but only 1 port per channel will connect for data.

The owners manual says that the USB-C will be the data port and the USB-A will be charge only but on my truck whichever one you plug in first is the data port for that channel.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I must be missing something - are you plugging in your android into the left-lower USB port and placing another phone on the wireless pad at the same time?

Any port with the USB 'Trident' Logo will run AAuto / Carplay. I don't know of any Androids that can simultaneously charge on a wireless pad + be plugged in (as the port supplies power)

McBroom

Reaction score
I must be missing something - are you plugging in your android into the left-lower USB port and placing another phone on the wireless pad at the same time?

Any port with the USB 'Trident' Logo will run AAuto / Carplay. I don't know of any Androids that can simultaneously charge on a wireless pad + be plugged in (as the port supplies power)
Yeah you may have missed it. A 2 part question and a 2 part what if. No attempting to double charge it. But more like plugged in for AA and laying on the wireless charger/holder.
Hope I cleared my post up without sounding rude or disrespectful.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 2 part question and a 2 part what if. No attempting to double charge it. But more like plugged in for AA and laying on the wireless charger/holder.

No worries! Yeah sometimes I don't english good; it's been a long week lol.

if you're placing the same plugged in phone on the wireless charger pad, it's likely the phone is cutting the wired connection.

I also use android auto with a note 10+ in the lower left port (from what I was told, the USB A and USB C ports are the same data line in each column). I don't have a wireless charger in the truck but do at my desk - I learned that the pad causes the phone to drop the data connection if you're using the wired connection and happen to place it on the pad

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As Stony0604 said they should all work.

The only stipulation is that even though there are 4 ports there are only 2 'channels'. Channel 1 and Channel 2 each have a USB-A and USB-C port. You can plug something into each port and all 4 items with charge but only 1 port per channel will connect for data.

The owners manual says that the USB-C will be the data port and the USB-A will be charge only but on my truck whichever one you plug in first is the data port for that channel.

3 channels if you count the one on the back of the center console (certain trims I'm sure - my Rebel's back seat has one 'data' pair and one non-data pair of USBA/C

Odd what the manual states, I get full AAuto Data/Charge on the USB-A Port up front on either left or right port.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah you may have missed it. A 2 part question and a 2 part what if. No attempting to double charge it. But more like plugged in for AA and laying on the wireless charger/holder.
Hope I cleared my post up without sounding rude or disrespectful.

But as far as the truck/phone is concerned, you ARE attempting to double charge it, so it drops the wired connection. No need for the pad if you're already plugged in for AA, it will also charge thru the wired connection at the same time (and faster than the wireless pad too).

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3 channels if you count the one on the back of the center console (certain trims I'm sure - my Rebel's back seat has one 'data' pair and one non-data pair of USBA/C
For those with the center console those are channels 3 (driver's side) and 4 (passenger's side). Channel 3 is a data/charging port and channel 4 is charging only. Both of those channels also each have a USB-A and USB-C plug like the front 2 channels.

PMantle

Reaction score
What would happen if one plugged a USB-C to USB-C cable into two of those ports at the same time?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you talking connecting two USB-C ports together on the truck or plugging a USB-C device into each channel?

If plug a device into each channel then they are both data and charging. You would have to select from the input list on your touchscreen which one is the active data port. The port is shaded if there is no data signal connected to it and is bright if there is a data device connected. You can only select channels that have a data device connected.

If you connected 2 USB-C ports together from different channels I think life as you know it would instantaneously stop and every molecule in your body would explode at the speed of light. ;)

(That's a quote from the movie Ghostbusters for those that aren't familiar with that comedy classic)

Kidder

Reaction score
No worries! Yeah sometimes I don't english good; it's been a long week lol.

if you're placing the same plugged in phone on the wireless charger pad, it's likely the phone is cutting the wired connection.

I also use android auto with a note 10+ in the lower left port (from what I was told, the USB A and USB C ports are the same data line in each column). I don't have a wireless charger in the truck but do at my desk - I learned that the pad causes the phone to drop the data connection if you're using the wired connection and happen to place it on the pad
I plug my Note 8 into USB-A port 1 and then put my phone on the wireless charger. The light turns blue telling me it is charging on the pad. I don't have issues with music cutting out with it plugged in and on the wireless pad.

FYI

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do what y'all are calling double charging all the time with my iphone and never an issue with cutting out or dropping apple carplay.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But why does anyone do that (plug in & wireless charge)?
Not bashing, just genuinely curious. When the phone is plugged in, it's already charging, and at a faster rate than any 'fast' wireless charger.

I get the ease of wireless charging by just throwing it on the pad. That's how I charge my phone at home. But it seems pointless if you are bothering to plug it in too.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Higher trim levels have the wireless charging pad where you would normally set your phone (as the driver). You have to plug in the phone for CarPlay so you get the "double charging" issue.

That will be solved with the 2021 trucks with wireless CarPlay.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Higher trim levels have the wireless charging pad where you would normally set your phone (as the driver). You have to plug in the phone for CarPlay so you get the "double charging" issue.

That will be solved with the 2021 trucks with wireless CarPlay.
Got it. Makes more sense now.

Kidder

Reaction score
But why does anyone do that (plug in & wireless charge)?
Not bashing, just genuinely curious. When the phone is plugged in, it's already charging, and at a faster rate than any 'fast' wireless charger.

I get the ease of wireless charging by just throwing it on the pad. That's how I charge my phone at home. But it seems pointless if you are bothering to plug it in too.
For me, it keeps the phone out of the way along with the cord.

Users who are viewing this thread