5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Printed Console Organizer Now available

CharlieP

Reaction score
My son does 3D printing and designed an organizer for the Laramie center console as I didn't like the big abyss to store things. Seeing that there is others looking for this same solution he has it available on his Etsy site. If you have questions not covered in the description, feel free to ask me.

Just Placed my order. Great job by your Son that is a lot of ambition for a young Man. I am guessing he will go far.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Just Ordered!

I do have the large center console and all the pics on the Etsy page seem identical to my Big Horn. If it doesn’t work out let’s just say I contributed to his amazing efforts. Keep up the awesome work and ideas!!

—-|||RAM|||—-
Phil

sent from my mobile device

RoosterWyo

Reaction score
Just ordered one! Looking forward to it! Great product idea and a great way for a teen to make some money! Thanks!

~Rooster

Reaction score
I would love to order but no available shipping to Canada.... Great work your young lad does and it seems to be a popular item. If shipping to Canada comes available I'll be sure to order.

Maybe I'll order to my family in Texas and have my parents pickup when they go in October.

J4U

Reaction score
Already received tracking info that it's on the way and it's coming quickly!

Wasn't expecting that with such a positive response to orders placed and actual time it takes to make even one.

Well done!

69Sting

Reaction score
Already received tracking info that it's on the way and it's coming quickly!

Wasn't expecting that with such a positive response to orders placed and actual time it takes to make even one.

Well done!

He is working very diligently to get all orders out. Has been his focus every minute he has been home. (fortunately gets school work done at school) Even had to work through a printer breakdown this weekend. Three more orders are going out today. He is very thankful to everyone and getting orders out as fast as he can.

dsn112

Reaction score
Just Ordered!

I do have the large center console and all the pics on the Etsy page seem identical to my Big Horn. If it doesn’t work out let’s just say I contributed to his amazing efforts. Keep up the awesome work and ideas!!

—-|||RAM|||—-
Phil

sent from my mobile device

Report back if it fits, but I agree, don’t see how it won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69Sting

Reaction score
More organizers have gone out and more going out tomorrow.

As mentioned in this thread, the organizer is printed in two parts so I thought I would mention the seems. When two pieces printed this size and are put together there can me a small gap(need light to see through) between the seem edges. The first bonding chemical he used doesn't fill this very small gap. Don't be alarmed by this. The bonding chemical he used is made for the PLA Material he prints with. All seems are treated with the bonding chemical and clamped together for 3-4 hours (technically only needs 1hr) so the bond can be fully set at all points the seems touch. He then does a pull and twist to check that the seems are bonded before shipping.
The bonding chemical he uses has now come out in a new formula that is thicker and he can put down a small bead that does help fill the gap.

Hope everyone who has received theirs so far is pleased. If you do have any questions upon receiving yours, please PM me.

Have a great day.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I buy a lot of two part epoxy. Works good for bonding multiple part prints.

Side tip: I mix up some epoxy and thin with acetone to a consistency that can be brushed on. You have to work fast, but usually two coats can achieve a really smooth finish and fill in the striations from the print process. Brush lines level out in their own, usually a little detail work with a Dremel and you’re left with a good surface for painting.

I’ve been making my niece Disney princess figures, each 12” tall.

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
If the printer has a heated bed (90c) and higher temp nozzle (225c), you may want to recommend he tries out ASA as an alternative to PLA. ASA is more resilient to hot cab temps in summer, it's UV resistant, and also not prone to become brittle in humidity or cold temps. Much better for auto application.

A console organizer in an enclosed space probably won't have issues over the span of a few years, but as he tries to sell items, it'll make a big difference.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the printer has a heated bed (90c) and higher temp nozzle (225c), you may want to recommend he tries out ASA as an alternative to PLA. ASA is more resilient to hot cab temps in summer, it's UV resistant, and also not prone to become brittle in humidity or cold temps. Much better for auto application.

A console organizer in an enclosed space probably won't have issues over the span of a few years, but as he tries to sell items, it'll make a big difference.
ASA produces some toxic fumes during the print process, and would likely outgas the same harmful chemicals while exposed to heat in a confined space like a truck cab.

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
ASA produces some toxic fumes during the print process, and would likely outgas the same harmful chemicals while exposed to heat in a confined space like a truck cab.

It won't outgas in general use. ABS and ASA are regularly used inside the cab.

BlckDT

Reaction score

As mentioned in this thread, the organizer is printed in two parts so I thought I would mention the seems. When two pieces printed this size and are put together there can me a small gap(need light to see through) between the seem edges. The first bonding chemical he used doesn't fill this very small gap. Don't be alarmed by this. The bonding chemical he used is made for the PLA Material he prints with. All seems are treated with the bonding chemical and clamped together for 3-4 hours (technically only needs 1hr) so the bond can be fully set at all points the seems touch. He then does a pull and twist to check that the seems are bonded before shipping.
The bonding chemical he uses has now come out in a new formula that is thicker and he can put down a small bead that does help fill the gap.

Hope everyone who has received theirs so far is pleased. If you do have any questions upon receiving yours, please PM me.

Have a great day.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully I'll see a shipped notice in this upcoming next round!! :)

RoosterWyo

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to getting mine!

~Rooster
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
69sting,

Here is thread for potentially another type of product--the sliding portion on top over the cupholder. Please respond over on other thread(below) as I have plugged this thread here in it...in case this slider becomes an option. Hoping this can become another product your son can make, as I would purchase the slider.

Vic

Reaction score

Have a great day.

When I go to the site now it appears as 'SOLD'. Is your son still making these? I don't see how to order one.
Thanks.

69Sting

Reaction score
When I go to the site now it appears as 'SOLD'. Is your son still making these? I don't see how to order one.
Thanks.

Vic,
He has to put a amount in stock quantity for Etsey (I think 15). A few orders came in yesterday and made him hit the 'in stock quantity' he put in.
He has updated his store to show back in 'stock' (although printed per order) Sorry for the delay to order.

69Sting

69Sting

Reaction score
Everyone interested,

As an FYI Printing of the organizer will be on a one week pause as he has a school trip to go on and won't be able to print. (as dad i don't have the ability :) ) All orders currently made, he will have them out per the time line you were given from his store. Printing will start back up as soon as he gets back from the trip.

My son has been very excited about the popularity of the organizer and is very THANKFUL to everyone ordering and interested. He is learning a lot right now; Printer repair, recovering bad prints, quality control, slower is faster, material & packaging inventory, even made some tweaks to the print program and found a different bonding chemical. A great learning experience for him.

We even have a joke in the house of getting another printer (eye roll).

69Sting

Beans

Reaction score
Received mine this week and love it. Very helpful for organizing things in the cab. Thanks again to your son!

To answer the earlier question- I have a Big Horn and it fits just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread