5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37” Spare

Tacoma2TRX

Reaction score
I've seen something on one of the forums regarding this but I can't remember the outcome. I'll see if I can find it again and report back.
Wasn't there a guy on the RAM-TRX forum who plasma cut his tow hitch, moved it rearward and then re-welded it to make room? Everyone was questioning the weld strength and how it wouldn't be safe to tow anything.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I measured underneath my bed and I think a 37 would fit if you used a ratchet strap to kinda oval the tire (although idk long term if that would affect the tire in any way). The problem with putting a 12.50 or 13.50 tire down there would be it would hang down pretty far and look a little goofy in my opinion

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I measured underneath my bed and I think a 37 would fit if you used a ratchet strap to kinda oval the tire (although idk long term if that would affect the tire in any way). The problem with putting a 12.50 or 13.50 tire down there would be it would hang down pretty far and look a little goofy in my opinion
This is what the raptor crowd does with their 37” spares (on the non-37PP). It honestly looks like they’re testing the limits of those 1” straps and makes me uncomfortable to look at.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From what I recall seeing on the 5th Gen and TRX forums:
  • Fitting a 35" spare on a non-TRX requires trimming the inner end of the receiver
  • Fitting a 37" spare on a TRX requires the same
But I don't think I've ever seen/heard of anyone fitting a 37" spare on a non-TRX.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is what the raptor crowd does with their 37” spares (on the non-37PP). It honestly looks like they’re testing the limits of those 1” straps and makes me uncomfortable to look at.
I personally would not do that. Seems to me it's just asking for problems when/if you ever have to use the spare, if it's been under the truck like that for any significant length of time.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I personally would not do that. Seems to me it's just asking for problems when/if you ever have to use the spare, if it's been under the truck like that for any significant length of time.
I think as long as you use it as a genuine “spare” like a donut, meaning you’ll replace it as soon as possible and not drive on it for a long time then it would probably be good to at least get you out of a bad situation

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think as long as you use it as a genuine “spare” like a donut, meaning you’ll replace it as soon as possible and not drive on it for a long time then it would probably be good to at least get you out of a bad situation
Yeah it would definitely get you out of a bad situation, but so would a smaller spare that fits without having to do that. You don't buy matching spare tires unless you plan on it being more than a short term solution

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, totally. It makes me uncomfortable just thinking about it.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah it would definitely get you out of a bad situation, but so would a smaller spare that fits without having to do that. You don't buy matching spare tires unless you plan on it being more than a short term solution
I kinda disagree with that. I’d never run a smaller diameter tire as a spare because that’ll mess up your diff having the tires rotating at different speeds. At the very least I’d get a cheap used 37 and cheap wheel to use as a temporary spare if I wanted a spare. I don’t have a spare though

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda disagree with that. I’d never run a smaller diameter tire as a spare because that’ll mess up your diff having the tires rotating at different speeds. At the very least I’d get a cheap used 37 and cheap wheel to use as a temporary spare if I wanted a spare. I don’t have a spare though
It would take more than temporary driving, on different size tires, to mess up your diff. And unless you are stuck deep off-roadz where you absolutely need 4wd to get out, out the smaller tire in the front and use 2wd without issue.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It would take more than temporary driving, on different size tires, to mess up your diff. And unless you are stuck deep off-roadz where you absolutely need 4wd to get out, out the smaller tire in the front and use 2wd without issue.
Yeah true I would definitely want to put it up front but I’d also have to carry a different jack to even get the wheels off because that factory one ain’t tall enough anymore lol

Tacoma2TRX

Reaction score
I didn't see that one but I'd like to.

Took a minute, but found it. Very interesting.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

Took a minute, but found it. Very interesting.
Nice! I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread