5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35" and Eco Mode

Helmetface

Reaction score
Any of you that are running larger tires, say 33+, also run in Eco mode?

I've been gauging MPG loss vs tire size and while I want 35's, I don't want to end up with 12mpg like my Silverado.

I will have the 3.92 rear end, which I'm sure will help considerably. However, it seems many people on these boards are against Eco mode and just override into 8th.

I'd love to be able to make use of the Eco mode, I'm just not sure if the load/RPM of 35's at 65MPH will be too great to activate it.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running 34s and my truck displays eco on the dash often. Displaying eco on the dash vs going into MDS seems to be a different story though. I rarely feel my truck go into MDS mode.

FWIW, the best average MPGs I've had was 14-15 when not towing my boat.

Helmetface

Reaction score
I'm running 34s and my truck displays eco on the dash often. Displaying eco on the dash vs going into MDS seems to be a different story though. I rarely feel my truck go into MDS mode.

Hmm, that highlights an error in my thinking; I was under the assumption that when Eco mode displayed, that was the MDS kicking in... it seems I have more reading to do!

Nucdancer01

Reaction score
648c3838d716cc14ba0d3cf6ac9edb96.jpg

This is 35-12.50’s on stock wheels, limited, 5.7 non-ETorque, leveled front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blownout1500

Reaction score

Corrected speedo?

blownout1500

Reaction score
Any of you that are running larger tires, say 33+, also run in Eco mode?

I've been gauging MPG loss vs tire size and while I want 35's, I don't want to end up with 12mpg like my Silverado.

I will have the 3.92 rear end, which I'm sure will help considerably. However, it seems many people on these boards are against Eco mode and just override into 8th.

I'd love to be able to make use of the Eco mode, I'm just not sure if the load/RPM of 35's at 65MPH will be too great to activate it.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Running 35s with corrected speedo seeing around 16.5 mpg avg. I’m at 10k now, and the economy is easily 1.5-2mpg better than it was for the first 7.5k or so... there’s definitely an improvement.

Eco light = cylinder deactivation as far as I know. Seeing it plenty after 5k or so, not at all before that. This may be why there’s been a jump in economy(?).

That said, if you punch the skinny pedal while the eco light is on there is definitely a delay in the power delivery. My own take is that I’d rather be able to count on the power being there immediately when I need it (or want it LOL) than to have fuel savings, but that’s just me.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
My truck came with the mopar 2" lift and 35" mud terrains... Awesome look!

When I first had the truck, I was getting 15 to 16mpg(on the best of days, lol). So one day driving through a construction zone, they had a radar, and it dawned on me that my speedometer was off by 4-5mph....

I ordered the rough country speedometer calibrator, and I measured the tire height as it sits on the truck, and I put the exact measurement into the calibrator, beep, boop, beep... done. Now my speedometer is dead on, and I saw an increase in my mpgs to 18-18.5mpg. The truck runs real smooth now, as it adjusted some shift points as well.

Granted, I do quite a bit of highway driving which is why I see great mileage, but even with city driving I'm seeing high 17s into the 18s. Best $150 spent on the truck thus far.

As far as the eco mode goes, I can get it at about 50 or 55ish, but after that its truly if the conditions are right

nicodywill

Reaction score
10mpg on 34" and Mopar 2.75" lift.

All city driving and without a re-calibration.
you're actually getting better than that then without the recal of the speedometer.

I run 285/65's (34.6" tall) Nitto Ridge Grapplers and a 2.5" level on mine and have a re-calibrated my speedometer. I just below 16 MPG with only a little bit of highway driving.
If I make a trip out of town with a lot of highway I jump up to almost 19 MPG.

NDRam

Reaction score
Hmm, that highlights an error in my thinking; I was under the assumption that when Eco mode displayed, that was the MDS kicking in... it seems I have more reading to do!

My understanding is when the ECO light is on, the engine is in fact running on 4 cylinders. There is a slight change in the exhaust note, at least on my truck, that to me confirms that ECO is active.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
you're actually getting better than that then without the recal of the speedometer.

I run 285/65's (34.6" tall) Nitto Ridge Grapplers and a 2.5" level on mine and have a re-calibrated my speedometer. I just below 16 MPG with only a little bit of highway driving.
If I make a trip out of town with a lot of highway I jump up to almost 19 MPG.

Yeah, that's why I mention I don't have a recalibration, but there is no way I'm getting close to 16mpg. My city driving is bumper to bumper with a light every 1/8 - 1/4 mile.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 35’s with etorque. Eco mode comes on but has to be very little throttle and level or downhill at 70 mph. The Mds is seemless in this truck and you cannot feel or hear the difference. My mileage has come up quite a bit and now am averaging around 17 mpg. I’m sure it will go down with colder temps and winter gas. The tires and lift seems to have lost at least 3 mpg. My brothers truck averages 19 without lift or tires, everything else is similar to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread