5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35” tires trans issue

Ericw

Reaction score
Anyone put 35 “ tires on their 1500 and have tranny issues wired shifting and a slight vibration in 8th gear? Any info is appreciated

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The heavier wheel/tire setup will definitely create some noticeable differences in your daily drivability. Quite a bit of additional weight and rotating mass will make things feel more sluggish than the stock wheel setup. If you haven't already, I'd recommend recalibrating your speedometer for your new tire size. Doing so will also adjust the transmission's shift points resulting in a smoother ride. As far as the vibration in 8th, it is not necessarily related to the transmission. It's likely from the new wheels. Everything might feel great when cruising around town, but highway speeds will almost always reveal any small issues. Could be balance related, alignment related, tire pressure, etc. Depending on what tire you're running, it could also just be the nature of the tire. Some ride more smoothly than others but If it is that much of a concern, I'd take it back to a shop and have them dig into it.

Ericw

Reaction score
Thank you for your input, I just did the recalibration today, will be in the highway tomorrow so will know more then

Louhound88

Reaction score
Thank you for your input, I just did the recalibration today, will be in the highway tomorrow so will know more then
I agree with what's been said. Recalibration should help out. When I first put 35"s I noticed odd shift points and the truck wanting to get into 8th gear early. I didn't have any 8th gear vibrations but I do at 35 to 40mph. Regardless of gear. It's just the nature of my tires and how they're likely a little out of balance. Typical with MT tires it seems.

But once I did recalibrate the shift points made more sense, my MPG obviously improved as it was accurate again, and it drives pretty close to stock now.

Chris VB

Reaction score
Got 37x13.5 toyos on my truck with 8” lift, calibrated speedo/shift points.
Truck drives very smooth. Zero vibration and very low road noise. Maybe have tires rebalanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread