5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

34's and 3.21

tysmith

Reaction score
Quick overview of my situation. Currently daily driving a '16 3500, considering switching to a new '19 1500 Limited. I've done a lot of research and searching here, and am looking for some hope and clarity.

Everything seems to indicate that 3.92's are the only gear if you want to increase tire size. I haven't seen too many posts of guys with 34's or even 33's with 3.21 gears that have indicated that they are happy with the setup. I'm not looking to hyper mile, but mileage is of some concern. It seems these trucks get abysmal mileage, regardless of gear ratio, so at least I know that much. I average 17 mpg with my Cummins right now, with 35's and 3.42s. Not comparing apples to hamburgers, just saying.

Usually I order my trucks, but I figured with 1500's, inventory would be plenty. I'm looking at Limited's, and all of the local inventory is 3.21. Looking for input here, will I be hating life going from my current ride to a 1500 with 3.21's? I know there will be a difference, obviously. I've only driven a 1500 with 3.21s and stock tires, so that's what I'm basing this off of. So, for those of you with 3.21's and 33-34" tires, what do you think? wish you went with 3.92's? Or happy with mileage and performance of what you've got, because you don't know any different?

Unrelated to tires, the trucks with 3.92's around me all seem to have tow mirrors. I want the 360 camera, so has anybody successfully swapped mirrors on a Level 1 equipped truck and gotten 360 camera to work? Might have to do another thread for that one.

Thanks for any info. I was considering ordering a new 3500, but the cab size of the 1500 is fantastic, so I might just wait to see if they switch the HD's to that cab in a couple years...

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read the discussions here too. The 3.92 fans have valid points but I think 3.21 with 34's will be fine... assuming you're ok with the tradeoffs.

My Durango has 3.09 rear gears and identical tranny ratios. OEM tires are 30.4" but many upsize to 32" and don't complain.

Btw I think generalizing that all Rams have abysmal economy is wrong; many guys are seeing over 20 hwy.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
Quick overview of my situation. Currently daily driving a '16 3500, considering switching to a new '19 1500 Limited. I've done a lot of research and searching here, and am looking for some hope and clarity.

Everything seems to indicate that 3.92's are the only gear if you want to increase tire size. I haven't seen too many posts of guys with 34's or even 33's with 3.21 gears that have indicated that they are happy with the setup. I'm not looking to hyper mile, but mileage is of some concern. It seems these trucks get abysmal mileage, regardless of gear ratio, so at least I know that much. I average 17 mpg with my Cummins right now, with 35's and 3.42s. Not comparing apples to hamburgers, just saying.

Usually I order my trucks, but I figured with 1500's, inventory would be plenty. I'm looking at Limited's, and all of the local inventory is 3.21. Looking for input here, will I be hating life going from my current ride to a 1500 with 3.21's? I know there will be a difference, obviously. I've only driven a 1500 with 3.21s and stock tires, so that's what I'm basing this off of. So, for those of you with 3.21's and 33-34" tires, what do you think? wish you went with 3.92's? Or happy with mileage and performance of what you've got, because you don't know any different?

Unrelated to tires, the trucks with 3.92's around me all seem to have tow mirrors. I want the 360 camera, so has anybody successfully swapped mirrors on a Level 1 equipped truck and gotten 360 camera to work? Might have to do another thread for that one.

Thanks for any info. I was considering ordering a new 3500, but the cab size of the 1500 is fantastic, so I might just wait to see if they switch the HD's to that cab in a couple years...

I have 33” Ridge Grappler’s with the 3.21 and I didn’t notice much of a change! Gas mileage took a slight dip, 17mpg down to 16.35mpg after the tires. I think you’ll be fine with the 3.21.

tysmith

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I've been on forums for far too long, so I certainly understand that more problems are brought forth than raves and compliments. I run around mostly empty all the time, mostly ferrying the kids back and forth to school and karate, then meeting my guys on job sites. Truck sees most duty as family fun vehicle, so kids are concerned, as am I, that it won't be a big diesel monster truck. We go pretty remote to off grid locations on dirt roads and such, so having range and capability are very important.

I think the '19 1500 is capable for what we do, giving me a more plush daily ride. The interior is what has sold me. Ideally, I'd have a '19 Ram Limited interior with a GM 6.2/10 spd combo. Besides the wifes cars, I've never had a gas vehicle. Her '18 High Country Traverse is nice, but I prefer the truck, as do the kids, for our excursions off the beaten path. Perhaps buying a '19 1500 Limited will satisfy her needs, and I will order a new 3500 if/when they adopt the 1500 cab!

Again, I welcome and appreciate any and all input! Dealer has an Ivory Limited Level 1, color matched bumper group, anti-spin, pano and a granite crystal chrome bumper, Level 1 anti-spin due in. Both 3.21. Might be time to taste the kool-aid... Thanks again.

tysmith

Reaction score
Also, I will not be towing with this vehicle. I have plenty of tow rigs in my fleet, so that isn't an issue.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, I will not be towing with this vehicle. I have plenty of tow rigs in my fleet, so that isn't an issue.
You ain’t a kiddin there! Looks like you could tow anything and everything with that fleet, even make your own commercial:). Looks like you won’t even have to think about towing with the new ‘19 so you should be fine(y)

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Get the 3:21 limited and purchase an Edge Pulsar Tuner to compensate for the larger tires, give you more horsepower and allow the selection of Gas Saving Mode. Look up you tube videos and see for yourself.

Don't get a tow mirror truck just to move to a 3:92.

John813

Reaction score
Think you'll be fine.

I went to a 33" tire with Cooper ATP (All Terrain) and maybe noticed a small drop in city driving. On 3.21s
Still get 20-21 mpg on the highway at 80mph(Florida flat roads). Average MPG combined is usually in mid 18's.

Even when towing 5k, I was surprised at how well the truck moved. Damn 8 speed is great.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Take MPGs with a huge grain of salt. They will vary between owners greatly (especially city MPG).

I have a 34" AT tire and 3.21s with a 2" Mopar lift. On a perfectly flat road with no headwind at freeway speeds I can easily get 20+mpg. The only downside for me is at 75+ MPH on the freeway the truck can hunt for gears (6-7-8) if there is any kind of incline and/or head wind. If you don't drive at those speeds then it's less of an issue, but when I'm out in Arizona the speed limit is 75mph and I can easily be doing 80mph with the flow of traffic.

In the city back in Cali I'm doing like 11mpg, but again my city is probably different than most cities. We have serious traffic issues and lights every 1/4 mile or less.

Brobee

Reaction score
I went with 33 "XL" tires to avoid additional, extra weight. Also added the 2" level, which I think makes the truck sit up nice - noticed zero difference while driving.

RAM at Lake.JPG

Hackmunch

Reaction score
i have 33" and 3.21 gears. with mds disabled i average 18.8 mpg

jaychris

Reaction score
I have 34" and 3.21, no issues. I can't tell the difference, but I don't spend a lot of time dropping the hammer at stoplights either. Tows my 14' loaded cargo trailer up and down hills and through the snow just fine.

Mx113

Reaction score
As stated above, the only issue I’ve ran into is the truck hunting for the right gear on the interstate. I’m running 35s with 3.21 gears and the power in fine. I am mpg driver and the tires defiantly hurt that. Dropped from low 20s to upper teens. Only about 14-15 in town now

John813

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, after a couple thousand miles on the 33's, my truck stopped switching between 7th and 8th on the highway on + grades. Same speed and load.

mfuino

Reaction score
I'm running 34s with a 3.21 as well. I don't notice any power loss, however the MPG did take a hit (about 2.5).

bvigne01

Reaction score
I Have 33" with the 3.21 with the Diesel. I'm not a Fan of the MPG. I got the 3.21 over the 3.92 for better MPG. I don't really tow much. I have an ATV trailer i use once a year when I go duck hunting. Even with the Stock tires the MPG wasn't that good. With the 33" I get 22 MPG. This is in a 4x4 longhorn, No sunroof, No Rambox, No MFTG., I do have air ride so im sure that added some weight. I use to get 30 MPG in my Jeep grand Cherokee with the Diesel. I read people with the 392 getting better than 22 so I thought I would get better than 22.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I Have 33" with the 3.21 with the Diesel. I'm not a Fan of the MPG. I got the 3.21 over the 3.92 for better MPG. I don't really tow much. I have an ATV trailer i use once a year when I go duck hunting. Even with the Stock tires the MPG wasn't that good. With the 33" I get 22 MPG. This is in a 4x4 longhorn, No sunroof, No Rambox, No MFTG., I do have air ride so im sure that added some weight. I use to get 30 MPG in my Jeep grand Cherokee with the Diesel. I read people with the 392 getting better than 22 so I thought I would get better than 22.

I have 33’s on a 3.92...22mpg is a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vilas15

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, after a couple thousand miles on the 33's, my truck stopped switching between 7th and 8th on the highway on + grades. Same speed and load.
Did you ever recalibrate for the larger tires? It's supposed to help shift points. I haves 3.21s and looking to go to 33s. I plan on recalibrating for peace of mind.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 3.21 and added 34” General Grabbers (275/65/20). I don’t notice a difference at all in driveability. I did cal the Speedo with the RC.. gas mileage went down ~ 1 MPG. But it drives exactly the same as it did on stock tires

Users who are viewing this thread