5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33x12.5 vs 305/45

Collantesch

Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some advise. I have a 2020 1500 5.7 crew sport with 22" option and I'm going to do the leveling in a couple of weeks. Im still gathering info re tires and rims and i hope someone could help me figure this out. Im sticking with 22" rims and I'm thinking 22" vision spyders with an offset of -51. I personally like the look after seeing a bunch of photos on customoffsets' site. My question is about tires. Popular sizes that I've found with levelling kits are the 33x12.50 but there's also the option of 305/45. The speedometer error between the 33x12.50 and the 305/45 compared to the stock 285/45 is 2.2% and 2.8% respectively according to online tire size calculators. Would I expect my truck struggle to find the right speed for shifting gears (is this the right term for "gear hunting"?) with these non-oem spec tires? Also, should I re-recalibrate my speedo everytime I switch back to my oem size winter tires?

CamsRam

Reaction score
Not sure that I can answer your original question, I think it would make a difference whether you have the 3.21 or 3.92 axle ratio. Keep the weight of the tires in mind. I also have the 22" wheels and am looking at the 305/45 vs 33x12.50. Most of the 305/45 are significantly lighter than the 33x12.50. Using the Toyo Open Country AT3 as an example, the 305/45 weighs 48 pounds and the 33x12.50 weighs 59 pounds. That is un-sprung weight that will affect how your trucks handles, brakes and accelerates. The lighter 305/45 will be closer to stock.

Reaction score
I just put some 33x12.5x22 toyo at2 xtremes on today. Watching gps on my phone, the spedo is occasionally off 1mph. It’s negligible.

Collantesch

Reaction score
Re: the axle ratio; i tried to look up mine and I think its 3.92. Honestly, i didnt even know about this until i got this truck! Anyway, i did a bit of research re this and basically from what i understand, the higher the gear ratio the better the fuel economy and more power. If i stick to my current one without any modification i would still be in the safe zone, only a tad bit increased fuel consumption but of course, could be more due to the additional weight that the 33" tires plus the less aerodynamics brought on by a leveling kit.

NovemberWhiskey: did you notice any feel on how the truck finding its gears or its next to nothing? I was told about gear hunting with bigger tires. Im not sure if this is a big deal with 33" tires.

Reaction score
None at all. I set cruise at 75 and it did no hunting. I also had a leveling kit installed at the same time so the wind resistance changed as well. Everything is subjective. Some may notice what they think to be gear searching, because they’re looking for it, or it may be shifting as normal but they didn’t notice before. A lot of people hate the tires I went with. Some much as being called outright dangerous in cold rain. It was 37* and rain when I left the dealer. I definitely had to put in some effort to get them to break free. Again, subjective. You’ll be fine with 33’s. If you wanna know more about the gearing differences, a member here did a great write up on it. Use the search to find it. You might be surprised.

Collantesch

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I think I’m going to decide whether it’ll be 33s or 305/45 when I pull the trigger on a new set of wheels in January. I still not 100% convinced that a -51 offset is the way to go, maybe a bit less. I have to look up the stresses this mods impose on the suspension, wheel bearings etc. Cost-wise, there marginal difference between the two tires but the weight is significantly higher.
For the speedo error, I may have to get it corrected with a calibrating device. Gearing ratios I’ll look that up more into detail when I’m at the point of I’ve added more weight on the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread