5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33G Gas Tank - Range Issue?

Derek916

Reaction score
Hi all, I have the 33G gas tank and on my first day of driving the truck I noticed my truck said I had 90 miles left of range. So I assume this means I had about 5-6 gallons of gas left(assuming 15mpg). I went to the gas station, and the tank only accepted 23 gallons, which is 5gallons short of what I was expecting. After this, my range updated to about 400 miles. Assuming I am getting 15MPG, shouldn't the range be around 500 with 33 gallons of gas? I've also noticed after driving 100 miles that my range is still about 370, so its not decreasing proportionally to the actual miles I am driving.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I have the 33G gas tank and on my first day of driving the truck I noticed my truck said I had 90 miles left of range. So I assume this means I had about 5-6 gallons of gas left(assuming 15mpg). I went to the gas station, and the tank only accepted 23 gallons, which is 5gallons short of what I was expecting. After this, my range updated to about 400 miles. Assuming I am getting 15MPG, shouldn't the range be around 500 with 33 gallons of gas? I've also noticed after driving 100 miles that my range is still about 370, so its not decreasing proportionally to the actual miles I am driving.
Welcome to modern day trip computer math. Even when your range shows 0 Mike's to empty, you will still have 2-3 gallons left in tank. This prevents idiots from running out of fuel. As for the range displayed after filling up, that number is based off the average fuel mileage over the previous 50 miles of driving.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Double check your range after filling depending on your dealership it could have spent along time idling, 9-10 mpg would not surprise me at all. Traffic and that fun right pedal also crush range

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My dealer as told me its the same reader in the tank regardless of upgraded tank size... my truck with 33 gallon tank with low fuel light on never takes more than 26.5 gallons. So there is always 6-7 gallons in reserve.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I have the 26, normally have 5-6 left when I get the 'light ' depending on how much fun I have been having

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 26 gallon as well, if I fill up when the light turns on, I top off at about 19-20 gallons, so about 7-6 gallons, similar to RIRamGuy.

If I drive it to near zero, there is about 2 gallons left.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Once the truck was broken in beyond 3K miles and acclimated to my driving, I have run the fuel level down low enough once or twice to have the “range” down to about 10 miles. Tank took just over 30 gallons to fill. My range goes up to ~570 miles with full tank. On long hwy trips cruising between 70-80 mph, it will certainly make or surpass that range. I have sometimes seen the sum of “miles driven” and “range” equal close to 590, however that is when I am intentionally trying to get max mileage by babying the throttle and leaving the MDS activated🤓

If my trip involves going through Baton Rouge, LA… all bets are off🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 33 gallon tank as well. The one time I saw the low fuel light come on was literally as I pulled into the gas station on the roadtrip home from the dealership. It took about 29.5 gallons and I really squeezed that amount in there.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It takes time for the computer to figure out the range..keep driving and you'll notice the range will slowly come up as your fuel mileage does.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Drewster

Reaction score
Was 15 MPG the actual mpg indicated? Or are you just assuming a mileage? The range estimate adjusts to the current mpg, so if you were actually getting 10-11 MPG at the time the estimate would make sense

Users who are viewing this thread