5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33" LT tire on 18" wheel vs 33" SL tire on 20" wheel

deanno33

Reaction score
When I got my 2022 Backcountry I wanted to go up in tire size...just to 33". Since the truck came with 18" wheels, there really wasn't too many 33" tire options, without going LT. I don't haul heavy loads but do some logging road travel throughout the fall so I really didn't want/need the heavier LT tire. So, I picked up a set of new 20" Laramie ORD black wheels, and put Cooper 33" SL rated tires on them. They are fine, but the more I look at my stock Backcountry 18" wheels sitting in the garage, the more I think about putting them back on...but, that means I pretty much need to go to an LT if I want 33" tires.

The Cooper XLT seem to be one of the lightest LT 33" (56 lbs) and Toyo OC ATIII (53 lbs) and I really like their look (and reviews). My current Cooper ATP II SL 33" are (45 lbs). Since the 20" wheel is heavier than a 18" wheel, some of the weight difference will offset and I'm guessing I will only be about 5-6 lbs per wheel/tire combo higher going to the LTs, on 18's.

My question is, how much do folks thing ride quality and mpg will suffer going from the 20" to 18". In my mind, it's almost a wash as the LT (although stiffer side wall) will have more sidewall from a ride comfort standpoint. That said, I've only had SL rated tires in the past and don't truly know what to expect.

One other option would be to out General Grabber AT/X (SL version) on the 18" wheels. That's about the only 33" AT tire I can find that isn't LT rated (for 18" wheels). They weigh in around 46 lbs).

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated before I order.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go General, report back. You also don't need to air up an LT as high as you might think, there are charts and formulas online for your new PSI, listed in other threads here. There are others down around 51lbs as well.

deanno33

Reaction score
Well, I was going to order the Grabber ATX in SL (275/70/18) and looks like they are no longer making them in SL...just LT now.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nitto Recon Grappler might be worth a look. LT275/70R18 (33.2") is 54.3 lbs; LT285/65R18 (32.6") is 56 lbs; and 305/60R18 (non-LT, 32.4") is 50 lbs. 295/70R18 is another non-LT option, at 52.5 lbs, but that's 34.3" diameter so you'd probably need a lift or level to fit it.

1664374967190.png

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 275/70r18 SL General AT/X is the OEM tire for the Ford F150 Tremor, so they do make them and lots of them, but they are not available everywhere yet. Should still be able to get them on TireRack?

deanno33

Reaction score
The 275/70r18 SL General AT/X is the OEM tire for the Ford F150 Tremor, so they do make them and lots of them, but they are not available everywhere yet. Should still be able to get them on TireRack?

Interesting. Yeah, looks like Tire Rack has some. Discount Tire (who owns Tire Rack) told me the SL model is being discontinued. Maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about...which may be the case.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How the heck did I not know DT owned TR???

Tire monopoly right there...

deanno33

Reaction score
Having the 275 70 18 SL Grabber ATX put on tomorrow at Discount Tire. They arrived and actually have white letter or black sidewall as an option.... everything I found on line was black wall only in that tire / size. Looks like I have a decision to make before 3 pm tomorrow.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having the 275 70 18 SL Grabber ATX put on tomorrow at Discount Tire. They arrived and actually have white letter or black sidewall as an option.... everything I found on line was black wall only in that tire / size. Looks like I have a decision to make before 3 pm tomorrow.
black IMO - my truck came stock falkens white out and look nasty when dirty which was every single day for me. couldn't stand it. I go thru puddles of water and dusty roads everyday. But your roads maybe different

deanno33

Reaction score
Yeah, leaning black wall too, although I do like the solid white letter look too. May be a game time decision.

deanno33

Reaction score
If you go General, report back. You also don't need to air up an LT as high as you might think, there are charts and formulas online for your new PSI, listed in other threads here. There are others down around 51lbs as well.

Well, here's my report back on the Grabber ATX in standard load. I had them installed (look great) and drove home from Discount Tire. It was a 60 mile drive one way so had some time on different roads and speeds. Noise level (hum) is more than the Coopers I had on the truck but not bad. Unfortunately I had vibration that I didn't have before. Instead of driving 120 miles round trip back to DT I had the local Ram dealer (who has road force balance) just rebalance my tires. They told me I had two bad tires with variations ratings over 30. Called DT and they ordered two new tires. Went back and they could not get one of the new ones under a variation of 25. They ended up adding alot of weight to one of the original bad tires and got it below 20 so they used it. They felt horrible as they haven't seen this from Continental/General before. The Mgr said if I wanted to swap even out for Toyos he would order some for me. I drove home and the vibration although better is still there. The reason I went with the Grabber is because I really didn't want a heavy LT. But, I may just take them up on the offer and go with the Toyo...they are only 53lbs a tire per TireRack specs.

I'm using the stock 18" Backcountry wheels. I may even go back to the stock 20's I have from a night Laramie ORG. Then there are plenty on non-LT 33" options.

Just frustrating as it will now be 4 total trips to DT and the appt with Ram. All said, DT is awesome to work with. They are certainly trying to get it all corrected.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, here's my report back on the Grabber ATX in standard load. I had them installed (look great) and drove home from Discount Tire. It was a 60 mile drive one way so had some time on different roads and speeds. Noise level (hum) is more than the Coopers I had on the truck but not bad. Unfortunately I had vibration that I didn't have before. Instead of driving 120 miles round trip back to DT I had the local Ram dealer (who has road force balance) just rebalance my tires. They told me I had two bad tires with variations ratings over 30. Called DT and they ordered two new tires. Went back and they could not get one of the new ones under a variation of 25. They ended up adding alot of weight to one of the original bad tires and got it below 20 so they used it. They felt horrible as they haven't seen this from Continental/General before. The Mgr said if I wanted to swap even out for Toyos he would order some for me. I drove home and the vibration although better is still there. The reason I went with the Grabber is because I really didn't want a heavy LT. But, I may just take them up on the offer and go with the Toyo...they are only 53lbs a tire per TireRack specs.

I'm using the stock 18" Backcountry wheels. I may even go back to the stock 20's I have from a night Laramie ORG. Then there are plenty on non-LT 33" options.

Just frustrating as it will now be 4 total trips to DT and the appt with Ram. All said, DT is awesome to work with. They are certainly trying to get it all corrected.
sorry to hear that.
I got less than a year on mine, other than the initial miles being slippery I can't complain
275/60r20 ATX but LT - basically 33's

JaxMike01

Reaction score
Following this thread.

Will 33s on 20 inch wheels rub in Aero height with the air ride suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread