5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 Gallon tank miles to empty

GoRamGo

Reaction score
I looked though out this forum and have not seen anything I am wondering per everyone's computer how much does it say miles to empty on a full tank on the 33 gallon tank

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just took this pic after filling up on Friday morning while driving from Florida to Texas.

Kept speed at 70 MPH up until that point. Unfortunately I could not get final MPG as I still have almost half a tank left, but first tank on the way to Florida ended up being 19.46 MPG and 653 miles to empty.

On edit: (bed with misc bags, backpack with emergency tools, two level III+ plate carriers, emergency booster pack, etc) so basically about 200 lbs weight, plus ~580 lbs for four adults).

76CEF576-1FA9-4BA7-A127-BBCD5B9FEFEF.jpeg

Last edited:

GoRamGo

Reaction score
Ok I am wondering if something is wrong with my gas tank because i have the 33 gallon gas tank but yet am lucky if my computer says i will get 450 miles to empty which i feel is low for the 33 gallon tank i know there may be different variables but i feel computer wise i should be in the 500 miles to empty at least on a full tank

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ok I am wondering if something is wrong with my gas tank because i have the 33 gallon gas tank but yet am lucky if my computer says i will get 450 miles to empty which i feel is low for the 33 gallon tank i know there may be different variables but i feel computer wise i should be in the 500 miles to empty at least on a full tank
Depends on what kind of mileage you were getting, as the computer adjusts accordingly.

If you are getting city mileage, your computer will paint a different picture. I usually get 8-10 MPG in the city, yielding a perfect 330 miles to empty after filling up, since the computer will take that into account.

GoRamGo

Reaction score
98% of my commute is highway i average between 14 and 15 mpg but according to my computer i used to get "550 miles to empty" then recently i filled up and it say 440 miles to empty i just feel that on a 33 gallon tank i would be getting more

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
@ 14 MPG you’ll be seeing 462, and @ 15 MPG, 495 miles to empty.

If you saw 550, it would mean that at that point you were getting 16.6 MPG, as it reads whatever avg MPG computer saw at fill up. I reset my counter at every fill up, since I like to see how accurate ea. tank is vs Fuelly (see sig). Even if you were getting 14, and then your mileage goes up to 15 or 16, computer will adjust and your miles to empty will reflect this.

GoRamGo

Reaction score
Aw got you I appreciate the input because I was going mad thinking the big tank was not given to me like the window sticker claimed

zlman

Reaction score
I avg 17mpg, gauge shows 540 miles to empty, so fairly accurate.

shurik74

Reaction score
Mine with 33 gallon tank never showed over 440 miles, currently 1400 miles on odometer

Jim64

Reaction score
My 33 gallon tank showed 642 on the last fill up. It has showed as high as 670 once. City driving usually in the 540 range. Truck has 6200 miles on it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine with 33 gallon tank never showed over 440 miles, currently 1400 miles on odometer
It will be based on whatever avg MPG the computer is reading at the time. If you’ve been driving city it will be low, but if you are on a road trip and getting higher MPG it will reflect this accordingly ;)

E0271349-63CD-4F36-BE9D-8DDA7F79BCB9.jpeg

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 17mpg average for my weekly commute. I see about 555 to empty on my computer when filling up.

RJS

Reaction score
19 Laramie Hemi L-2 3:21 no e-torque 8200 miles.
Ram mileage.jpg

Begrenzt

Reaction score
Just filled up after a road trip. Computer indicated 590 miles to empty. It also said I averaged 20.1 mpg on the tank but actual math showed 18.1

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just filled up after a road trip. Computer indicated 590 miles to empty. It also said I averaged 20.1 mpg on the tank but actual math showed 18.1
The vehicle mpg tends to display the latest mpg that you were doing. On your 590 mile trip did you have some low mpg numbers earlier?
I can do 380 miles of highway (20+ mpg) and than do 50 miles local (13+ - MPG) and my mpg display drops disproportionately. I have been keeping track for 18,000 miles of the 2 calculations and find the discrepancy largest with mixed driving on a tank of gas with the mpg reflecting towards the latest miles driven.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very impressed with the mileage on my truck so far, one of my better tanks were 1323km or 822 miles to empty. I have gotten better mileage on shorter trips and when I am trying to conserve fuel.

ssick92

Reaction score
I got my truck about a week ago and have averaged about 14 mpg over 250 miles -- haven't had to fill up yet and showing about 200 miles left to empty. Probably a combination of the fact that these hemi's don't get the best mileage and I've been trying to give it some gas randomly to follow the engine break-in instructions. I'm curious if over time as I start running it a little more steadily and the engine breaks in if I'll see the mpg increase.

Coming my from F150 that averaged almost 20mpg average over 120k miles (albeit with only 275 hp and an aluminum frame), this is pretty sad in comparison for mpg. Good thing I have a company gas card though :)

Does anybody know how mpg is affected by using 87 octane vs 89? I've never owned a truck that was recommended to use 89 octane until now. Is that supposed to help or hurt mpg?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got my truck about a week ago and have averaged about 14 mpg over 250 miles -- haven't had to fill up yet and showing about 200 miles left to empty. Probably a combination of the fact that these hemi's don't get the best mileage and I've been trying to give it some gas randomly to follow the engine break-in instructions. I'm curious if over time as I start running it a little more steadily and the engine breaks in if I'll see the mpg increase.

Coming my from F150 that averaged almost 20mpg average over 120k miles (albeit with only 275 hp and an aluminum frame), this is pretty sad in comparison for mpg. Good thing I have a company gas card though :)

Does anybody know how mpg is affected by using 87 octane vs 89? I've never owned a truck that was recommended to use 89 octane until now. Is that supposed to help or hurt mpg?
You should see better economy on 89, since that's the optimal tuning for your truck. You may not see enough of a difference to justify the uptick in price. Personally, I run 93 most of the time. But I put very few miles on my truck and pay for the higher grade for a bit more "shelf life" as much as for performance.

ssick92

Reaction score
You should see better economy on 89, since that's the optimal tuning for your truck. You may not see enough of a difference to justify the uptick in price. Personally, I run 93 most of the time. But I put very few miles on my truck and pay for the higher grade for a bit more "shelf life" as much as for performance.

Makes sense, luckily for me the company pays for my gas and their only qualification is that it cannot exceed the manufacturer's recommended octane level, so 89 is the easy choice for me. Just filled it up for the first time today with 89. Not sure what was in there from the factory but whatever it was is all mixed up now...

Users who are viewing this thread