5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gallon tank and fuel gauge

Jhawkdrvr1

Reaction score
I know there are numerous threads about the 33 gallon tanks but don’t see anything pertaining to my situation. When my truck gets the low fuel light and indicates that I have approx 50 miles remaining, I am only able to put 28 gallons in the tank. Once full, the truck indicated that my range is approx 628 miles. It’s done this for three years. Yesterday, I intentionally ran it down to where it indicated that I only had 20 miles remaining. I was able to put 28.8 gallons in it and now it is indicating that my range is only 578 miles. Obviously, ram has a well documented problem with the fuel gauge accuracy and the 33 gallon tanks. But I’m not sure what changed with the range. Any ideas?

Range is caluclated based on current/recent MPG. If you had been hooning around at the end of the tank and your recent average MPG was lower, your range after filling up would be lower. Generally when I've making my normal around town trips and fill up my range is anywhere in the 525 to 575 mile range. If I've just done a full highway trip on a tank, my range has been has high as 660 miles after refuling. The most I've ever been able to put in is 31.32 gallons and I remember I ran the range down to basically zero. If I fill up right when the light comes on I usually put anywhere between 28 and 29 gallons in depending on recent driving habis.

I agree, after a combination of in town and some interstate driving, I fuel up a day or two after light comes on. I typically fuel up and it’s around the 26-28 gallon range. So if I have 5 or 6 gallons left and my on board computer shows 15 mpg, it’s pretty close to the 90 miles left to empty.

If I fill mine up when the light is on, it’s taking about 30 gallons

These guys nailed it…
I typically drive 50/50 city/hwy.
Upon fill up I see 500ish miles left.

Couple months ago.. Took a long trip up north, 600 miles round trip where it was 95% highway, 75 to 80MPH, nice and easy. Went to fill up, it was over 600 miles to empty. Since then, it’s back to 500ish.

If my low fuel light is on, in two trucks, both 33 gallon, Hemi, one with 3.92, current with 3.21.
I’ve never stuffed more than 28 gallons in. Normally, it’s 26.
I see zero reason or benefit to run it any lower than that. But, It’s nice, in case it was an emergency… I know I have more miles to go without being on dead E.

As a retired pilot, I find it to be very poor engineering to offer a 33 gallon tank and not calibrate the fuel quantity indicating system to reflect it.

As a retired pilot, I find it to be very poor engineering to offer a 33 gallon tank and not calibrate the fuel quantity indicating system to reflect it.
I agree, as a civil engineer I feel they calculated to much of a factor of safety into it, or it’s a bad software issue.

As a guy who reviews and corrects what the Civil engineers who work for me mess up, I can say that the guage is to try and dummy-proof things.

Think about what is being asked of a computer to figure. I have not measured the dimensions of my 33 gallon tank but it is pretty big. Let's go conservative and say it is 48"×12" (I would guess it to be larger). That leaves a bottom area of 576 inches. 230 cubic inches per gallon. That is less than a half inch of gas sloshing around per gallon. Just how accurate does anyone think a guage is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back