5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gallon fuel tank

KopterDok

Reaction score
I went my local Dodge dealer to inquire about replacing my 23 gallon fuel tank with a 33 gallon tank. The parts department told me that they don’t do that and I would have to get an aftermarket tank to put in the bed. Anyone else been told that? I’m thinking the parts guys don’t know what they’re talking about.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went my local Dodge dealer to inquire about replacing my 23 gallon fuel tank with a 33 gallon tank. The parts department told me that they don’t do that and I would have to get an aftermarket tank to put in the bed. Anyone else been told that? I’m thinking the parts guys don’t know what they’re talking about.
They are right in one regard, they don't do that, so how could they know anything about that? Find the thread that already discusses it, plenty do it, but it isn't too cheap.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
that dealer is taking the easy way out!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was a GM at a dealership and my person that ordered trucks ever ordered a 1500 with anything smaller than the 33 gallon tank, I would fire that person. Unless it was a custom order for a customer that INSISTED on a smaller tank for some reason, of course. Then, that customer would be paying a fat non-refundable deposit.

When I was shopping for my current (used) truck, I rejected so many options because they didn't have the 33 gallon tank. Why?!?!

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
If I was a GM at a dealership and my person that ordered trucks ever ordered a 1500 with anything smaller than the 33 gallon tank, I would fire that person. Unless it was a custom order for a customer that INSISTED on a smaller tank for some reason, of course. Then, that customer would be paying a fat non-refundable deposit.

When I was shopping for my current (used) truck, I rejected so many options because they didn't have the 33 gallon tank. Why?!?!
I feel the same way about the trailer brake controller...

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel the same way about the trailer brake controller...

That one doesn't bother me NEARLY as much. It is relatively cheap and easy to add after the fact. I would not avoid buying a truck just because it didn't have the TBC. But, I would not buy one that didn't have the 33 gallon tank.

Wire4money

Reaction score

When truck shopping, I wrote off Chevy because they don’t offer an extended range tank. In all of the new Rams here in Vegas, I could only find 2 that had extended range.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
With the gas mileage some CLAIM to get they should request a smaller tank than the 26gal. Why haul around all that extra fuel economy stealing weight?😁

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the gas mileage some CLAIM to get they should request a smaller tank than the 26gal. Why haul around all that extra fuel economy stealing weight?😁
I have a 33 gallon tank and can’t make it past 300 miles before filling up. I can only imagine what life would be like with a 23 or 26 gallon tank.
I wish they made a 50 gallon option

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 33 gallon tank and can’t make it past 300 miles before filling up. I can only imagine what life would be like with a 23 or 26 gallon tank.
I have the 33 gal tank also, and hemi and 3.92 axle. So I read your post thinking "how the heck is he burning it that fast?" I finally thought to read your sig line. 🤣

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was around 8-15k from getting a TRX instead of my 1500 but the though of that mpg scared the crap out of me. Sometimes I drive 500 miles a week for work and millage reimbursement is less then just the gas price alone BEFORE the increase LOL.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was around 8-15k from getting a TRX instead of my 1500 but the though of that mpg scared the crap out of me. Sometimes I drive 500 miles a week for work and millage reimbursement is less then just the gas price alone BEFORE the increase LOL.
The other bonus with the 6.2L Hellcat is that you get to use a minimum 91 octane (I use 93), where the 5.7L Hemi can run on 87-89.

Nick57

Reaction score
My truck was only 5k away from a "base" TRX. The price of fuel and lack of towing is why I ordered what I did vs the TRX.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The other bonus with the 6.2L Hellcat is that you get to use a minimum 91 octane (I use 93), where the 5.7L Hemi can run on 87-89.
The 5.7 runs WAY better with 93, at least around here. The increase in mpg alone is worth using it over 87 (I only have 87 and 93 in my area for some reason, nothing inbetween).
My old Camaro with a 6.2 still got 16MPG but it isn't a pickup obviously and was naturally aspirated, I think the TRX gets 13-15 even on the highway if I recall?
I also would of needed to swap out the tires as I don't drive offroad much, so add another $1300 in tires I bet.

They should of made an onroad TRX, so a 1500 with a supercharger lol.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the TRX gets 13-15 even on the highway if I recall?
I got 13.18 mpg (average for a tank) once when I did a highway-only road trip. But my average for all other fill-ups has been between low 10's and mid-11's. But the smiles per gallon are off the charts.

Users who are viewing this thread