5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33", 34" or 35" tires with Ecodiesel 3.21

JScism

Reaction score
I've read posts from this forum and everywhere else that I could. I have a Bighorn with 275/55R20 (31.9") and the Night Edition 20x9 rims. I also have the Ecodiesel with 3.21 gearing. The truck is great but I would like to either give it a small lift or level it.

My question is for the people that have an ED and the 3.21 gearing with larger than stock tires.

1. what is your setup?

2. Did you notice problems with drive-ability, highway or local?

3. Anything you wished was different or are you happy?

I've lifted many trucks and Jeeps with gear changes as well, just never with a diesel. With the extra torque that the diesel supplies I am not sure I will have a problem? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 51

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I've built that exact truck (more or less) so many times online. That's what I want, white truck, night edition with the ED. I can't seem to build it for less than 63k though, and just can't justify spending that kind of money on a truck when my first house was only 100k! Hard to justify those numbers.

Sorry I'm no help to hour questions, just wanted to say I love your truck.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read posts from this forum and everywhere else that I could. I have a Bighorn with 275/55R20 (31.9") and the Night Edition 20x9 rims. I also have the Ecodiesel with 3.21 gearing. The truck is great but I would like to either give it a small lift or level it.

My question is for the people that have an ED and the 3.21 gearing with larger than stock tires.

1. what is your setup?

2. Did you notice problems with drive-ability, highway or local?

3. Anything you wished was different or are you happy?

I've lifted many trucks and Jeeps with gear changes as well, just never with a diesel. With the extra torque that the diesel supplies I am not sure I will have a problem? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

See my post about upsizing and then dropping down, here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/falken-wildpeak.37359/post-558016

Currently running 275/60r20s, as noted in the above. Maybe 100 miles, so nothing other than initial impression, but so far the AT3W SL in the size listed are doing great.

See sig for truck specs.

squid013

Reaction score
35's and 3.21 gears would be a real dog.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

JScism

Reaction score
I've built that exact truck (more or less) so many times online. That's what I want, white truck, night edition with the ED. I can't seem to build it for less than 63k though, and just can't justify spending that kind of money on a truck when my first house was only 100k! Hard to justify those numbers.

Sorry I'm no help to hour questions, just wanted to say I love your truck.

Thank you for your kind words. I built it for 59k. I wanted a couple of things, white/night edition, pano roof and ED. I wanted a Laramie for the leather and also the 12” screen but couldn’t build that for under 70k. I love the truck, just looking to make it mine by adding some mods. I’ll add leather soon as well.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words. I built it for 59k. I wanted a couple of things, white/night edition, pano roof and ED. I wanted a Laramie for the leather and also the 12” screen but couldn’t build that for under 70k. I love the truck, just looking to make it mine by adding some mods. I’ll add leather soon as well.
I've got a Big Horn on order (Laramie in the driveway...don't ask. ;) ) The leather upgrade to the Big Horn would be nice. Where/how are you thinking of getting leather into your build?

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I've got a Big Horn on order (Laramie in the driveway...don't ask. ;) ) The leather upgrade to the Big Horn would be nice. Where/how are you thinking of getting leather into your build?
Someone just posted I believe in the "what did you do to your ram" section that they added katskin leather eith seat warmers for 3k installed. That's slways an option if you don't want the rest of the upgraded package that includes leather

Louhound88

Reaction score
35's and 3.21 gears would be a real dog.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I have 295/65r20 on my 5.7 Etorque with 3.21 gears. I was worried it would really bog it down, but it still pulls hard and will spin the tires with ease. Honestly surprised how quick it still is. Haven't compared rough 0-60 times or anything, but it's quick. I can get from 50 to 90 just as fast as before.

The only time I can feel the effects of the larger tires is flooring it from a dead stop. It does take maybe a half second longer to get rolling, but once you're to about 20mph it pulls just as hard as before. Not sure how this translates to an ecodiesel, but seems like it would be even less of an issue.

Drivability is still really good, honestly prefer the feeling of a truck with meaty tires as the stocks made me nervous on the terrible roads around me. Turning is still smooth. With just a 2.5" motofab leveling spacer in front I've retained the factory ride quality. Still can go over speed bumps without slowing much.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 295/65r20 on my 5.7 Etorque with 3.21 gears. I was worried it would really bog it down, but it still pulls hard and will spin the tires with ease. Honestly surprised how quick it still is. Haven't compared rough 0-60 times or anything, but it's quick. I can get from 50 to 90 just as fast as before.

The only time I can feel the effects of the larger tires is flooring it from a dead stop. It does take maybe a half second longer to get rolling, but once you're to about 20mph it pulls just as hard as before. Not sure how this translates to an ecodiesel, but seems like it would be even less of an issue.

Drivability is still really good, honestly prefer the feeling of a truck with meaty tires as the stocks made me nervous on the terrible roads around me. Turning is still smooth. With just a 2.5" motofab leveling spacer in front I've retained the factory ride quality. Still can go over speed bumps without slowing much.
Do you have any idea what the weight of one of your wheels and tires is, or if you don’t, can you post the brand and model of both?

Louhound88

Reaction score
Stock wheels, so only tire weight has changed. Yokohama Geolandar MT's. Think they were 69.2lbs according to Yokohama's specs.

Attachments

• 20220106_164552.jpg
    20220106_164552.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220106_164847.jpg
    20220106_164847.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 61

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stock wheels, so only tire weight has changed. Yokohama Geolandar MT's. Think they were 69.2lbs according to Yokohama's specs.
Oh wow, thanks for posting that. I can’t remember what the weight of those are, but I’m assuming low 30s. Even if they were high 20s they would be heavier than my 22s with 285/50/22 AT tires. Plus your MTs would be more rolling resistance than mine. I appreciate you coming in here and posting.

Louhound88

Reaction score
No problem. It took me months to make a decision on wheels and tires because I kept reading that the 3.21 gearing would suck with anything larger. I used to have a 2016 Silverado Z71 that really became a dog when I put 33's on it. So I wanted to make sure I didn't repeat my mistakes. But I've been pretty impressed with how quick my Ram still feels.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No problem. It took me months to make a decision on wheels and tires because I kept reading that the 3.21 gearing would suck with anything larger. I used to have a 2016 Silverado Z71 that really became a dog when I put 33's on it. So I wanted to make sure I didn't repeat my mistakes. But I've been pretty impressed with how quick my Ram still feels.
I’m not sure what I’ll do if I have issues when the 22’s go back on. Any way I cut it, I realistically lose about $2k if I either get different tires or sell the set of wheels/tires.

JScism

Reaction score
Thinking Katzkin, as they come up cheaper than $700 for black leather on eBay. I’ll install myself as I’ve done them before.

TriSum

Reaction score
I have the same basic truck 21, Eco, 2wd, 3.21 gears. I went round and round trying to figure this out because I wanted to keep the fuel mileage, (I drive 3k+ miles per month). Got with my tire guy and found a light weight wheel and tire combo in a 34.4" size that wasn't "E" rated and only weighed about 79lbs combined. I went with Fox coilovers front and rear to level it, ride is good, but not what I expected. I'll be getting them re-valved here soon.

So, my $.02...

Do you feel it? Yes, but not as noticeable as people make it out to be. With 8 speeds it's basically like you lost a lower gear and have an extra OD against the 3.92 trucks. I drive back and forth from OC to Phoenix and I usually just leave it in 7th or tow haul so it doesn't downshift all the time. Mileage is great, 22-23 around town and 26-27 freeway depending how fast I'm going. (Hand calculated).

Now, if you go with a wheel that is 50lbs and a tire that is 65lbs you are definitely going to feel that way more than if you keep the weight down. If you want more info just ask. Good luck.

Wheel Fuel Shok 18x9 -12mm
Tire Nitto Grappler G2 295/70/18
Fox side.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread