5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

31K miles engine torn apart

Racingwoody

Reaction score
My 2022 Rebel GT with 32k miles, fully serviced at dealer is in the middle of an engine tear down. Went to start truck after work 2 weeks ago and started shaking real bad, check engine light came on within 30 secs and flashing. They checked oil for metal, swapped coils and plugs and no change. Assuming a bad lifter and possible wiped cam. Thursday Pax head came off and Friday driver head is off and Etorque off.

I have been around the 5.7 Hemi's for the past 7 years dealing with the fleet of our company trucks with close to a 100 5.7 Rams. Have had multiple engine replacements at 100K. Was told the newer 5.7's had the oiling issue fixed a few years back that was wiping the cams and that every so often you just get a bad part. So upset with the condition my truck is in at the moment. My first newly purchased vehicle, maintained at the dealer on time and zero issues up to starting it up after work that day. Dealer is a great dealer and will take excellent care of me, they service our fleet and we purchase new trucks from them, just upset with where my truck is sitting.

So is the lifter issue still a major issue on the newer engines or did I just get a bad lifter? Also, this is a personal OCD issue for me, there is coolant sitting on top of the pistons in the cylinders from head removal (not leaking) is this bad? I know they will clean it out before putting everything back together, but will it seep past the rings and down into the oil? Again I know they will change oil and all. Just hate the situation my truck is in.

Attachments

• Engine 1 3.1.24.jpg
    Engine 1 3.1.24.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Engine 2 3.1.24.jpg
    Engine 2 3.1.24.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 163

frisby5

Reaction score
I need a lift ! How many bolts to lift the body off the frame ?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2022 Rebel GT with 32k miles, fully serviced at dealer is in the middle of an engine tear down. Went to start truck after work 2 weeks ago and started shaking real bad, check engine light came on within 30 secs and flashing. They checked oil for metal, swapped coils and plugs and no change. Assuming a bad lifter and possible wiped cam. Thursday Pax head came off and Friday driver head is off and Etorque off.

I have been around the 5.7 Hemi's for the past 7 years dealing with the fleet of our company trucks with close to a 100 5.7 Rams. Have had multiple engine replacements at 100K. Was told the newer 5.7's had the oiling issue fixed a few years back that was wiping the cams and that every so often you just get a bad part. So upset with the condition my truck is in at the moment. My first newly purchased vehicle, maintained at the dealer on time and zero issues up to starting it up after work that day. Dealer is a great dealer and will take excellent care of me, they service our fleet and we purchase new trucks from them, just upset with where my truck is sitting.

So is the lifter issue still a major issue on the newer engines or did I just get a bad lifter? Also, this is a personal OCD issue for me, there is coolant sitting on top of the pistons in the cylinders from head removal (not leaking) is this bad? I know they will clean it out before putting everything back together, but will it seep past the rings and down into the oil? Again I know they will change oil and all. Just hate the situation my truck is in.
The coolant is a non-issue. They will clean it out if cylinders before reinstalling the heads and oil should be drained and filled before first start.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

They did rework the lifter a number of years ago (before the 5th gens came out), but there are still bad lifters floating around. I'd be upset as well.

Did you not hear any ticking noise at all before the CEL? By the time it gets to the CEL it's really bad, normally there is a very pronounced ticking noise that is the result of the cam lobe smashing into the lifter instead of the lifter rolling smoothly over the cam, and that is very audible. Once the lobe wears down too far it can no longer lift the valve high enough and that's when the CEL comes on, but the grinding damage would have been there for many miles before that.

32k though is pretty early, the vast majority happen 2/3 through normal engine life and well past the warranty.

This is why I have been doing Used Oil Analysis reports after every oil change, and doing them early, well before the timer tells me to. There have been reports of guys doing this and then all of a sudden seeing iron spike up through the course of a few UOA's which is a sure sign of lifter damage.

Racingwoody

Reaction score
They did rework the lifter a number of years ago (before the 5th gens came out), but there are still bad lifters floating around. I'd be upset as well.

Did you not hear any ticking noise at all before the CEL? By the time it gets to the CEL it's really bad, normally there is a very pronounced ticking noise that is the result of the cam lobe smashing into the lifter instead of the lifter rolling smoothly over the cam, and that is very audible. Once the lobe wears down too far it can no longer lift the valve high enough and that's when the CEL comes on, but the grinding damage would have been there for many miles before that.

32k though is pretty early, the vast majority happen 2/3 through normal engine life and well past the warranty.

This is why I have been doing Used Oil Analysis reports after every oil change, and doing them early, well before the timer tells me to. There have been reports of guys doing this and then all of a sudden seeing iron spike up through the course of a few UOA's which is a sure sign of lifter damage.
No warning or tick at all. Literally drove to work with zero issues then started up 7 ish hours later and **** hit the fan. they are planning on pulling front end off Monday and pulling cam out. We will see then.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
The coolant on the cylinders is a non-issue. That's typically what you'll see from an engine tear down. It seems out of the passages in the head and block. It would take a long time to form rust sitting like that.

I think it, unfortunately, just happens. My cousin had a brand new GMC Denali 1500 have a "crank problem" (he has no mechanical inclination) with 300 miles. Ended up with a new motor. Died in the middle of the road, in front of his house, had to be flatbedded to the dealer. He got it back 3 weeks later.

I am curious to hear what they find.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score

In 2017 they changed the 5.7 Hemi lifters to ones with larger needle roller bearings to address the lifter failure in 2016 and earlier models.

In my 180k mile 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi I used semi-synthetic and changed it every 3k miles religiously having a lift. The maintenance schedule oil change was every 6k miles.

In this 2022 I change oil every 5k miles or 50% oil monitor, whichever come first. Factory filter and full synthetic oil (any MS-6395 rated brand name). I’m hoping for better results than my previous 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi that had lifter failure at 180k miles pulling a 7K# trailer over 90k miles. Oil is cheap and imho changing it more often is beneficial.

frisby5

Reaction score
In 2017 they changed the 5.7 Hemi lifters to ones with larger needle roller bearings to address the lifter failure in 2016 and earlier models.

In my 180k mile 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi I used semi-synthetic and changed it every 3k miles religiously having a lift. The maintenance schedule oil change was every 6k miles.

In this 2022 I change oil every 5k miles or 50% oil monitor, whichever come first. Factory filter and full synthetic oil (any MS-6395 rated brand name). I’m hoping for better results than my previous 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi that had lifter failure at 180k miles pulling a 7K# trailer over 90k miles. Oil is cheap and imho changing it more often is beneficial.

Nice lift ! I wish i had one in my garage

Ranman222

Reaction score
My 2022 Rebel 5.7 just had the engine replaced at 44,000 miles. #8 piston in pieces, engine locked up on freeway, no warning. Oil changed every 5k, full synthetic.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
My 2022 Rebel 5.7 just had the engine replaced at 44,000 miles. #8 piston in pieces, engine locked up on freeway, no warning. Oil changed every 5k, full synthetic.
Good thing it was still in Powertrain warranty. Curious… Any engine problems prior? What fuel octane were you mostly using? Did/ do you have an extended warranty?

Ranman222

Reaction score
Good thing it was still in Powertrain warranty. Curious… Any engine problems prior? What fuel octane were you mostly using? Did/ do you have an extended warranty?
No prior problems always ran excellent. Mostly used 87 octane. I do have an extended warranty, but didnt need it for this. The new engine has a 3yr/100, mile warranty.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pistons don't often come apart. Casting flaw? Or maybe it dropped a valve - broken springs are more common.

Ranman222

Reaction score
Pistons don't often come apart. Casting flaw? Or maybe it dropped a valve - broken springs are more common.
I suspect a dropped valve, engine was locked up. They never tore it down, just looked through the sparkplug hole with a scope, saw the damage and said new engine.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

Not to rain on your parade, but no, no redesign on the lifters/bearings. There's a good video on YouTube from a guy who seems to work mostly on hemis and the part number from the pre-5th gens for the lifter, into the 2021 (at least) is the same. Here is the video:

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
the part number from the pre-5th gens for the lifter, into the 2021 (at least) is the same.
The replacement lifter for all Hemi is most likely the improved post 2016 lifter part #. No need to continue with older pre 2016 version… obsolete.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
The replacement lifter for all Hemi is most likely the improved post 2016 lifter part #. No need to continue with older pre 2016 version… obsolete.

Makes me feel a little better but there are still 2016+ 5.7L hemis with the issues. There's been a couple 2019's that are high enough mileage to manifest the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread