5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

305/55-20 or 295/60-20... Decisions Decisions

HotStuff

Reaction score
99% of most other tires are not a silica compound and do just fine... I grew up driving high hp cars etc, and never had an issue. You just need to learn to slow down a little... Lol

But ya, I think they'll be just fine.

Last edited:

Savagescott

Reaction score
Thank you. As long as you know you will have to take the heat gun to the wheel well on the back side of the tire, I think it would look really nice. I know the -18 offset isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I like the added lip on the wheel that it gives. Let me know if there is a specific angle you’re after.

I like the look of that offset.. gives the truck a more aggressive stance, too.

Did you have any rubbing you had to deal with? You think just a little heating and reforming if I lose the extra inch of height without the ORG? Not afraid of a little heat gun work but anything beyond that I’d rather not get into.

Would you mind sending me some closer pics of both front and rear wheels and, if you can, a couple inside the wheel well so I can get an idea of clearance? Thanks much!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know what I mean.

I do know what you mean.

Falken has been clear about this difference between their LT and non-LT tires but I haven't seen other tire makers say much at all about silica content. And rightfully so, compounds are a proprietary differentiator and there's no need to tip your hand to competitors.

Unless you're a chemist working at a tire maker, we have no idea whether a tire has silica in it or not.

I tend to believe that most of the good reviews for the Falken Wildpeaks, related to wet performance, are the non-LT tires. The LT tires surely will be fine... but interested in your impression after it rains.

HotStuff

Reaction score
Installed them yesterday... Love them so far... But it's hard to say after only about 100 miles.... But I will say, with only 2 miles, driving around our rural country block in the dark, I hit some standing water that was about 2" deep at about 50 mph.... It was enough to scare the poop out of me for a second... But the tires seemed to do ok. Total blackout for a couple seconds tho.

I can tell they are a 10 ply rated tire. It does ride stiffer than the stockers. But my "real truck" is a 03 1 ton Cummins Dually on 34x12.50 tires, so I love how this new truck rides! These 295/60's look perfect on the wheels, and in the wheel wells. Here's a couple pics I took today, it's dirty, but looks good.

KIMG0122.JPG KIMG0124.JPG KIMG0123.JPG

Cmoar

Reaction score
I like the look of that offset.. gives the truck a more aggressive stance, too.

Did you have any rubbing you had to deal with? You think just a little heating and reforming if I lose the extra inch of height without the ORG? Not afraid of a little heat gun work but anything beyond that I’d rather not get into.

Would you mind sending me some closer pics of both front and rear wheels and, if you can, a couple inside the wheel well so I can get an idea of clearance? Thanks much!

Hope this is what you’re looking for. My phone camera isn’t working so I had to use my iPad. Excuse the mess, we went duck hunting and I haven’t got to wash it. I had to cut the mud flaps down a bit, as you can see, but had no rubbing anywhere while driving through rutted out river roads.

Attachments

• 9EBD50C4-068C-4EC4-BCCC-16E233E5EEBE.jpeg
    9EBD50C4-068C-4EC4-BCCC-16E233E5EEBE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 279
  • DD4AA5DC-B737-4264-A9BF-980CDCEE85AB.jpeg
    DD4AA5DC-B737-4264-A9BF-980CDCEE85AB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 272
  • 74B80BBE-607E-4FCB-9938-679BE5C7B9B7.jpeg
    74B80BBE-607E-4FCB-9938-679BE5C7B9B7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 245
  • 7F4DA21D-7AF3-4E41-9C54-982DB2C1EFFC.jpeg
    7F4DA21D-7AF3-4E41-9C54-982DB2C1EFFC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
  • 06BDCA3B-28B8-4FDF-8E10-AE5D05FACBFE.jpeg
    06BDCA3B-28B8-4FDF-8E10-AE5D05FACBFE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 254
Reaction score
You think I can fit a 295/65R20 in there? I'd like to keep my mudflaps unmolested.

I just want more sidewall, I was gonna throw a 18 on there with 65 or 70, but I'm afraid it'll be too close for brake fit.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You think I can fit a 295/65R20 in there? I'd like to keep my mudflaps unmolested.

I just want more sidewall, I was gonna throw a 18 on there with 65 or 70, but I'm afraid it'll be too close for brake fit.
It all depends on the offset. Most people are having to trim because the wheels stick out too far. If you have anywhere between a 0 to a +18 it should fit without any modification.

Reaction score
It all depends on the offset. Most people are having to trim because the wheels stick out too far. If you have anywhere between a 0 to a +18 it should fit without any modification.

I'll go with 0 maximum, I don't want it aggressive. I really do like the slight poke like of -18 but don't want to mess with bending or cutting plastic.

Last edited:

pwhfmtx

Reaction score
I just installed XD Chrome Monster 20x9 +18 with Cooper ST Maxx 305/55r20 and they look great.

Very slight rub at full stop turn on the front inner. At rest it is 1/8" gap without trimming or bending the plastic. I think a vice grip bend will do it.

I have just also received the Revel air suspension links and will start that expiriment soon.

Love them. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Smashy71

I just installed XD Chrome Monster 20x9 +18 with Cooper ST Maxx 305/55r20 and they look great.

Very slight rub at full stop turn on the front inner. At rest it is 1/8" gap without trimming or bending the plastic. I think a vice grip bend will do it.

I have just also received the Revel air suspension links and will start that expiriment soon.

Love them. Looks great!

Let me know how the revel links workout and function. I’m considering pulling the trigger on some.

OUscott1

Reaction score
Been stalking this forum for a while now and just bought my first Ram after owning 4 consecutive F150s.

My Revel Performance Leveling links came in the mail yesterday and were installed within 10 minutes (super easy). Of course I immediately went to max height adjustment but that threw a suspension error and rode horrible. I backed the links down and I'm now with 1/2" from back to front. Aero and entry/exit still work perfectly. As for the ride, I can definitely feel the stiffness going down the road. Hoping new/bigger tires will help absorb some of the road cracks. Also, with the help of you loyal members, I searched and found out how to adjust the LED headlights down a bit. I was flashed no less than 10 times last night. I adjusted them down 1" @ 5'. The links and lights will be a continuous tweaking game until I get them both dialed in.

Last edited:

Savagescott

Reaction score
Been stalking this forum for a while now and just bought my first Ram after owning 4 consecutive F150s.

My Revel Performance Leveling links came in the mail yesterday and were installed within 10 minutes (super easy). Of course I immediately went to max height adjustment but that threw a suspension error and road horrible. I backed the links down and I'm now with 1/2" from back to front. Aero and entry/exit still work perfectly. As for the ride, I can definitely feel the stiffness going down the road. Hoping new/bigger tires will help absorb some of the road cracks. Also, with the help of you loyal members, I searched and found out how to adjust the LED headlights down a bit. I was flashed no less than 10 times last night. I adjusted them down 1" @ 5'. The links and lights will be a continuous tweaking game until I get them both dialed in.

Thanks for the post. Can you talk more about the stiffer ride? I know it’s hard to quantify but anything you can do....

I really want to do the level and wheels/tires when I get my Limited but I’m afraid of what it will do to ride quality (especially since ride quality is one of the big reasons I decided on this truck).

Another question.... is it possible to lower the rear a bit to get level, not raising the front so much? Hopefully, reducing the effect on ride quality.

OUscott1

Reaction score
It’s hard since everyone’s comfort level is different. I have always leveled my trucks using the standard puck style rough country or similar kits. At full height adjustment, these links make the air suspension fully expanded and when you hit a decent crack, bump, or speed bump, it feels harsh. I’ve since dialed the level down a bit and some feel comes back. If you put it in Aero mode it feels better.

I plan to go to my local off road store Monday to run an idea by those guys. Revel sells the links in as pairs of front and back. Since I didn’t use the rear set (only wanted level, no rake) I’ve started thinking about adding a conventional level kit on top of the air cylinder and using the rear links in the front since they are longer. No clue if this will work but thinking it could give me the level I want and the stock buttery ride we paid for.

As for lowering the rear, Revel sells a lowing link kit that does the opposite.

Hope this helps and good luck.

OUscott1

Reaction score
cbf1b762a0fde47b14a2e632c5b2b209.jpg
2d574577ccf6d0c426f5ab03b0f73d92.jpg
07d1edfd8c2edcc496d97283bc7ff2da.jpg

A few pics of the links to show what I’m talking about.

Reaction score
I plan to go to my local off road store Monday to run an idea by those guys. Revel sells the links in as pairs of front and back. Since I didn’t use the rear set (only wanted level, no rake) I’ve started thinking about adding a conventional level kit on top of the air cylinder and using the rear links in the front since they are longer. No clue if this will work but thinking it could give me the level I want and the stock buttery ride we paid for.

Yep, at least one person's done it before, and I plan on doing the same:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ruts-to-level-and-maintain-ride-quality.5574/

OUscott1

Reaction score
Sweet! Best idea I’ve ever had and I still didn’t think of it first. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online