5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

305/50r20 ??

fAthAwg

Reaction score
Is anyone running 305/50r20s? They are virtually the same diameter of the stock 275/55r20s but I'm a little concerned about the width. I have a 2021 Bighorn BTS with ORP.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Width is typically the culprit of rubbing more than tire height.
So you're not really gaining any height with this size, and only going wider - may not rub still, but you're only increasing the possibility of rubbing going that route.

A 275/65/20 is a popular size for 20's to go taller but no wider, and should work with your BTS/ORP. If you are handy with a heat gun and zip ties, 285/65/20 might even work.

fAthAwg

Reaction score
Width is typically the culprit of rubbing more than tire height.
So you're not really gaining any height with this size, and only going wider - may not rub still, but you're only increasing the possibility of rubbing going that route.

A 275/65/20 is a popular size for 20's to go taller but no wider, and should work with your BTS/ORP. If you are handy with a heat gun and zip ties, 285/65/20 might even work.
Previous owner had 285/65/20s put on it. They rub at full lock. Looking to go closer to stock for mpg reasons. We're in the country so I'm off-road but won't be rock crawling with it.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Previous owner had 285/65/20s put on it. They rub at full lock. Looking to go closer to stock for mpg reasons. We're in the country so I'm off-road but won't be rock crawling with it.
If it's for MPG reasons then tire weight is your enemy as much as diameter, with tread design and width right behind.

Consider the Bridgestone Dueler Revo3 or the Firestone Destination XT, both very decent, well-reviewed AT tires but lightest in class for any given size.

275/60/20 gets you up to a 33" tall tire which is plenty for trail duty IMO, and better yet offers a tremendous amount of tire options in that size. Specifically, many options in the P-Metric load range which is lighter and better riding than E range - at the expense of puncture resistance.

fAthAwg

Reaction score
If it's for MPG reasons then tire weight is your enemy as much as diameter, with tread design and width right behind.

Consider the Bridgestone Dueler Revo3 or the Firestone Destination XT, both very decent, well-reviewed AT tires but lightest in class for any given size.

275/60/20 gets you up to a 33" tall tire which is plenty for trail duty IMO, and better yet offers a tremendous amount of tire options in that size. Specifically, many options in the P-Metric load range which is lighter and better riding than E range - at the expense of puncture resistance.
Thank you for all the good information. Looks like I will be diving down the rabbit hole exploring options for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread