5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Truths and 1 Lie

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truth:
1 - Love my Rambox
2 - LED lighting is way better than my 2015 Longhorn
3 - Combined mileage of 20.x is spot on given my current mix of city/highway. Should increase when we start working on base again.

Lie -
The 3.6L v6 is not enough for a fullsize truck. For my purposes, this motor is perfect.
War Eagle

Kaderast

Reaction score
I won't call these truths, I'm going to call these "preconceived notions". This is what I expected with my Ram, that so far appear to be true:

1. My old 2014 Silverado 1500 was a pig and drove like a tank compared to my new Ram. It's way more powerful, better transmission, and much smoother.

2. Back seat room on crew cab is awesome, the kids are thrilled!

3. I ordered a Bighorn with relatively basic options, I feel like my truck has great value compared to what I paid for it.

The one lie....at least so far: from reading some (too much?) on this forum, I'm terrified my truck is going to completely self destruct in 3 months.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1. The full size Ram has a better turning radius than my little Frontier had.
2. The 3.92 gears are a good match for the 35 inch tires.
3. Debating as soon as you take delivery of an order makes it easy as the adhesive is still fresh.

1. I just love the fantastic gas milage I get in this with the lift and oversize tires.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. The full size Ram has a better turning radius than my little Frontier had.
2. The 3.92 gears are a good match for the 35 inch tires.
3. Debating as soon as you take delivery of an order makes it easy as the adhesive is still fresh.

1. I just love the fantastic gas milage I get in this with the lift and oversize tires.
What is your mileage with the 35”s?
And did your dealer do the lift or did you take it somewhere else? My dealer here said they wouldn’t do greater than 3

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What is your mileage with the 35”s?
And did your dealer do the lift or did you take it somewhere else? My dealer here said they wouldn’t do greater than 3
I just got the Tazer to reset for the tire size so the milage would be true. With mostly back road and around town it sits at 14.8. I haven't even burned a whole tank of gas yet though. A while of going to work will tell as it is 2/3 highway and 1/3 back roads. My problem is that highway means 75 to 80 mph. That does not help my cause much.

I had a local shop do the installation. They take care of my other cars and seem to be straight shooting guys.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3 Truths:
- The Gen5 ram looks even better in person than it does in photos, and the look will grow on you in time
- The ZF transmission is very smooth shifting
- The stock exhaust is too quiet for the people used to an aftermarket unit

1 Lie:
- The Dash fuel gauge when it tells you the tank is empty, and the pump stops at 28 gallons. :ROFLMAO:

chuck01835

Reaction score
What are 3 Truths and 1 Lie you were told about your RAM? I'll go first:

Truths:
  1. The Hellwig rear sway-bar makes a notable handling improvement!
  2. 5th gen RAMs ride like Cadillacs on the road
  3. The Air Suspension is really cool and functional
Lie:
  1. A Level and Bigger tires will impact mileage by just a couple MPG.. LIE! I'm down 4-5MPG! Getting ~11mixed, ~14HWY :eek:

View attachment 94151
Curious if you accounted for tire diameter exaggerating the fuel consumption. Larger circumference will mean your going farther than the truck knows about. Of course heavier tires and more friction will indeed hurt fuel consumption for real!.

PoppaPig78

Reaction score
Curious if you accounted for tire diameter exaggerating the fuel consumption. Larger circumference will mean your going farther than the truck knows about. Of course heavier tires and more friction will indeed hurt fuel consumption for real!.
Since I had the truck re-calibrated at the dealer I believe everything is accurate. That said; I have seen improvement since the early period post upgrade and was pushing up near 17mpg freeway on a recent trip. Weight makes a big difference i.e. just me and the truck + suitcase vs the family + suitcases (we are not big people). I don't care as much; the truck is BEAUTIFUL and the Y-uge tank lasts me a few weeks between fills :)

Attachments

• TRUCK2.jpg
    TRUCK2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread