5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 rear axle makes throttle too jumpy around town?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What I think you are feeling is maybe a revision of the throttle tip-in tuning on newer trucks, because you aren't likely to notice axle ratio difference with so little throttle inputs you mentioned.

For me, I thought the opposite, my 3.92 Rebel feels "alright" to me. Not slow, but not fast. Of course I came from a truck with a bit more bite and a sport setting button, which increased throttle response like a Pedal Commander would.

The throttle feel to me is akin to a straight linear 1:1 pedal movement to throttle application. I've driven both 3.92 and 3.21 equipped trucks, I honestly didn't feel that much a difference. I honesty don't think you are feeling an axle ratio thing, more a throttle tune thing.
I test-drove several back-to-back and noticed a significant difference off the line between the two axle ratios with similar pedal inputs (all Longhorn or Limited models, so weights were similar also).

Having also test-driven a 6.2L Denali and 3.5L EcoBoost, and coming from a GMC with a tuned 6.0L and 4.10 rear end, I felt the Ram drivetrain needed all the help it could get to compete. I ordered a HEMI eTorque with 3.92 for this reason.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I test-drove several back-to-back and noticed a significant difference off the line between the two axle ratios with similar pedal inputs (all Longhorn or Limited models, so weights were similar also).

Having also test-driven a 6.2L Denali and 3.5L EcoBoost, and coming from a GMC with a tuned 6.0L and 4.10 rear end, I felt the Ram drivetrain needed all the help it could get to compete. I ordered a HEMI eTorque with 3.92 for this reason.

I test drove two very similar specs as well, except the gearing, and I honestly could barely tell. However, it could be my experience was blunted by the Ecoboost I had before which was substantially more get up at tip-in compared to any RAM I've driven. Not that it's slow, but lets say more relaxed in comparison to what I know.

I agree though compared to the bigger powered option trucks, the Hemi could use a bit more help and the 3.92 axle would be on my check-off list. Though to be fair to RAM, the Hemi fits in that middle spot, more powerful than lower spec engines of competitors, but not quite up there with the larger powered optional motors. Maybe a 6.4L in the future?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I test drove two very similar specs as well, except the gearing, and I honestly could barely tell. However, it could be my experience was blunted by the Ecoboost I had before which was substantially more get up at tip-in compared to any RAM I've driven. Not that it's slow, but lets say more relaxed in comparison to what I know.

I agree though compared to the bigger powered option trucks, the Hemi could use a bit more help and the 3.92 axle would be on my check-off list. Though to be fair to RAM, the Hemi fits in that middle spot, more powerful than lower spec engines of competitors, but not quite up there with the larger powered optional motors. Maybe a 6.4L in the future?
Had I been shopping a year later, the Ford 7-liter gasser would have been tempting!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had I been shopping a year later, the Ford 7-liter gasser would have been tempting!

Real tempting, though that's moving up to a pricey heavy duty truck. I didn't realize how small that 7.3L gas motor was, I mean dimensionally. I think they said it could potentially fit in a current Ranger!

I'm looking at going in the future either Power Wagon or maybe a used TRX in a few years :)

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’m not sure how many folks around here are on their second 5th gen, but I am. Started with a Laramie with the 3.21 and just traded it in after two years for a BTS with the 3.92. Both with 35” tires. I really like how the 3.92 drives around town...seems much smoother. My Laramie seemed to give too much power to the rear and no matter how hard I tried I seemed to spin the tires (mostly pulling out uphill from driveways, etc). It always seemed a little grouchy in first gear. I really enjoy the new one much more.

DurangoDude

Reaction score
I too felt like my pedal response was hyper sensitive. I have also recently experienced rough starts when performing a cold start. I found these instructions in another thread and gave it a try hoping to address my cold starts. Its only been a few days but cold starts seem better and I also noticed the pedal response now seems normal. Additionally, and maybe its just placebo effect, but I feel like the shifting of the truck has improved too. It shifts smooth as silk now.

RESET TPS & ACCELERATOR PEDAL
1-Foot OFF of the brake and accelerator pedal
2-Press the START BUTTON until the RUN position is achieved but DO NOT start the vehicle. (If you do, turn off, open door and let everything reset before restarting).
3-Wait until all the instrument panels idiot/cycle lights go OUT (Check Engine light may stay on)
4-Slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly let off. I think a steady and consistent motion is best.
5a-Press START BUTTON again to turn everything off. (Open Door?) Start the truck as normal. That should recalibrate the pedal so that you are using its full range of motion in synch with the throttle body's opening.
or
5b-Press Brake pedal and START BUTTON to start truck."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online