5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 rear axle makes throttle too jumpy around town?

jastevenson

Reaction score
3.92 axle is a very popular upgrade around here,and obviously necessary for big towing loads.

But I test drove a Ram with a 3.92 axle and the throttle felt more “jumpy” for around town driving. I felt that unless I just barely touched the throttle when start to move from a stop, the car would accelerate faster than I wanted.

I don’t want a slow vehicle, but I prefer a bit more gradual ramp-up of acceleration during stop and go driving unless I really press down on the accelerator.

Anyone else feel similarly?

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Better not get the pedal commander! That would drive you crazy. ;)
I’ve only had the 3.92s so that’s all I’m used to... I think the sensitivity is fine but then again maybe if I drove a 3.21 I’d feel the laggy difference. To me it’s all in the driver‘s technique, when I want a slow start I just depress the pedal a bit more lightly. I can definitely understand the jumpiness if you really punch it. Sometimes it’s fun!

Mitragliatrice

Reaction score
I also love mine. I even added peak commander to make it a little jumpier. With that being said, you can also use pedal commander to reduce it a bit if you wanted to go that way.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also love mine. I even added peak commander to make it a little jumpier. With that being said, you can also use pedal commander to reduce it a bit if you wanted to go that way.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

No kidding? I always thought the Pc only increased sensitivity, not decreased it. That’s interesting.. could be just the fix for the OP.

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I can understand where you are coming from. I did notice that when I first got the truck but with time and the ability to move the pedals to my liking, I found a comfortable zone that I have gotten used to and do not notice the jerkiness as much if at all.

I have not driven the 3.21 so I cannot comment on that but for my lifestyle, the 3.92 is a fantastic addition.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No kidding? I always thought the Pc only increased sensitivity, not decreased it. That’s interesting.. could be just the fix for the OP.
You use eco mode to reduce it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

jastevenson

Reaction score
Yeah I may just go for the 3.21, but good to know about pedal commander.

I was initially worried about going down from 11k to 8k towing capacity, but I feel like I’d never be able to tow 11k anyway since the tongue weight for an 11k lb trailer would put me way over payload.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have the 3.21 and experience the same with PC if I go too sensitive, but even then you learn how to feather the gas pedal after a few drives.

spiG

Reaction score
Felt the same way when I first got my Ram. Every time I'd take off from a start I'd squeal the tires but after a day of driving it you get used to it. Love the 3.92 and wouldn't go get a 3.21

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Felt the same way when I first got my Ram. Every time I'd take off from a start I'd squeal the tires but after a day of driving it you get used to it. Love the 3.92 and wouldn't go get a 3.21
Agreed. As with many things, it just takes a bit to get used to it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.92 axle is a very popular upgrade around here,and obviously necessary for big towing loads.

But I test drove a Ram with a 3.92 axle and the throttle felt more “jumpy” for around town driving. I felt that unless I just barely touched the throttle when start to move from a stop, the car would accelerate faster than I wanted.

I don’t want a slow vehicle, but I prefer a bit more gradual ramp-up of acceleration during stop and go driving unless I really press down on the accelerator.

There is a simple solution to that problem: bigger tires. Get the 3.92, lift it, and put some 35's or 37's on it and you won't think 3.92 is too much anymore.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
My iDrive throttle controller also allows you to reduce throttle response when placed in "eco mode". I really like having the ability to adjust throttle response. I use my truck for a bunch of different applications; I can adjust the throttle response just where I want it.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 3.92's and found that it was more of a lag issue with the electronic throttle control. Installed the PULSAR and found that with different settings the lag disappears and throttle response is smoothed out so it is more like a mechanical throttle. No more lag and jump when leaving a stop sign.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have the 3.92's and found that it was more of a lag issue with the electronic throttle control. Installed the PULSAR and found that with different settings the lag disappears and throttle response is smoothed out so it is more like a mechanical throttle. No more lag and jump when leaving a stop sign.
That was my issue. I'd push the pedal and it would lag. Sometimes it was like a second. Pedal Commander fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The truck learns your driving habits What you test drive and what you feel 1000 miles later will be quite different as far as the transmission goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I think it also depends on how much your truck weighs with all of the options. There are some fat limiteds that weigh 500, 600 or even 700 pounds more than a tradesman and everything in between. I have a tradesman and after hauling 500, 600 and 700 pounds, I can understand more of how people feel about gearing and MDS opinions.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What I think you are feeling is maybe a revision of the throttle tip-in tuning on newer trucks, because you aren't likely to notice axle ratio difference with so little throttle inputs you mentioned.

For me, I thought the opposite, my 3.92 Rebel feels "alright" to me. Not slow, but not fast. Of course I came from a truck with a bit more bite and a sport setting button, which increased throttle response like a Pedal Commander would.

The throttle feel to me is akin to a straight linear 1:1 pedal movement to throttle application. I've driven both 3.92 and 3.21 equipped trucks, I honestly didn't feel that much a difference. I honesty don't think you are feeling an axle ratio thing, more a throttle tune thing.

Users who are viewing this thread