5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.55 vs 3.92

tobyd

Reaction score
The 3.92 axle ratio is actually better on fuel for city driving, less effort to go from stop to city driving speed.
The 3.21 gets better highway mpg.
Huh, I never would have guessed that. And I'd be guessing -- I just assumed the longer ratio rear end would have had better mileage in all conditions.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 3.92 axle ratio is actually better on fuel for city driving, less effort to go from stop to city driving speed.
The 3.21 gets better highway mpg.
I raise an eyebrow at this. My city economy is poor, and I'm generally easy on the throttle. I'd be surprised if the 3.21 is poorer. But I could see vehicle weight (i.e. options) and driver aggressiveness having more impact than gearing in town.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This comes up every so often, the 3.55 is only with the v6.

But even if it was available I'd say it's a poor choice for the Hemi + 8 speed. It would neither give you that much better towing nor that much better mpg, kind of pointless. Just pick the 3.21 or 3.92 based on your priority; the one maximizes mpg while still giving you everything you need to pull within realisitic payloads, and the other maximizes towing while at the expense of some highway MPG. I see no point in going half way in between and gaining neither one or the other.
I have to disagree my friend. Having an axle ratio that has a good blend of each is something that almost every serious truck driver would appreciate. To say you need one or the other and not having a happy medium comprise is like saying you have to choose between reliability and comfort/enjoyment. Personally I came close to buying a 2020 F150 with a 3.55 but got too good of a deal on my RAM to pass up.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.21 here. As bad as my city MPG is (due to stupid-short commute) I can’t imagine what I would get with a 3.92.

I already get around ~9-10 MPG as it is. And if I do one or two 20-mile highway drives on weekends, then it goes up to around 12 MPG.
That's not great for a 3.21. with my Etorque 3.21 I get 23-24mpg highway pretty consistently.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That's not great for a 3.21. with my Etorque 3.21 I get 23-24mpg highway pretty consistently.
I can too if I keep it at 60 MPH. At 75+, I’ve never been able to get above 19.7, hand calculated.

neeginan

Reaction score
Get the 3.92 and reduce it with larger diameter tires.

Assuming stock tire size of 275 55 R20 (or another ~32 in tire):

If you have a 3.92 and go with 275 65 R20 tires, you will reduce your 3.92 to effectively a ~ 3.67.

If you have a 3.92 and go with 275 70 R20 tires, you will reduce your 3.92 to effectively a ~3.55.

Users who are viewing this thread