5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5" readylift + Bilstein Shocks

Mr_Papagiorgio

Reaction score
(Not sure if this is normal or if anyone has done this but...)

I have a 2019 1500 Laramie 4x4 (non Air ride). I am wanting to install a 3.5" Readylift kit, buy my real question is would it be beneficial to do the lift and also change out the OEM shocks with Bilsteins 5100's (front and back) for overall better ride quality over stock?

After reading a few threads I did hear that you could lift the truck with the ride height adjusted 5100's although it would leave me a bit short on my desired lift height. After going through the forum I have also read that upgrading the UCA's after reaching a certain lift height would be ideal. Here's where the mix of both the readlift kit and the bilsteins would come into play. This is all just an idea, please let me know what you think or guide me in the right direction.

https://www.jackit.com/bil-24-232203-24-233354.html

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been racking my brain over the correct lift as well. I like the look of the 3.5" RL but hate the design and have heard mixed reviews (a lot of bad mixed in) about ride, wear, and noises. The 3.5" RL raises the front 3.5" and the rear 2" by using a mixture of different spacers. If you need to have it fully level this is the easiest but not best option at that height.

Other standard options are:

Mopar 2" lift - Using Fox shocks and rear spacers to do a full 2" all the way around. This will raise the rear the same as the RL but the front will only be 2". It will ride much better though.

Bilstein 5100 - This will only raise the front at different increments but will not reach 3.5" without extra help

Standard leveling spacers - Self explanatory.

Sooooo......here's my though process:

Do the Mopar 2" lift kit and swap out the front springs with springs from the ORP. This should net around 3" in the front and get the 2" in the rear still. This will be almost equal to the 3.5" readylift but will not use any spacers in the front at all and should provide a great ride.

Or

Do the Bilstein 5100's and add ORP springs all around. This will also raise the front around 3" depending on the setting and will raise the rear by 1" due to the ORP springs. You will probably ride nose high though and will have to decide if you want to add a daystar spacer to the rear to raise it up the full 2" or if you are comfortable using a lower front setting to level it. This should ride very nice as well and the cost will be lower than the Mopar setup.

Lets hear some thoughts on this. Did I miss something/do anything incorrectly here?

Mr_Papagiorgio

Reaction score
I've been racking my brain over the correct lift as well. I like the look of the 3.5" RL but hate the design and have heard mixed reviews (a lot of bad mixed in) about ride, wear, and noises. The 3.5" RL raises the front 3.5" and the rear 2" by using a mixture of different spacers. If you need to have it fully level this is the easiest but not best option at that height.

Other standard options are:

Mopar 2" lift - Using Fox shocks and rear spacers to do a full 2" all the way around. This will raise the rear the same as the RL but the front will only be 2". It will ride much better though.

Bilstein 5100 - This will only raise the front at different increments but will not reach 3.5" without extra help

Standard leveling spacers - Self explanatory.

Sooooo......here's my though process:

Do the Mopar 2" lift kit and swap out the front springs with springs from the ORP. This should net around 3" in the front and get the 2" in the rear still. This will be almost equal to the 3.5" readylift but will not use any spacers in the front at all and should provide a great ride.

Or

Do the Bilstein 5100's and add ORP springs all around. This will also raise the front around 3" depending on the setting and will raise the rear by 1" due to the ORP springs. You will probably ride nose high though and will have to decide if you want to add a daystar spacer to the rear to raise it up the full 2" or if you are comfortable using a lower front setting to level it. This should ride very nice as well and the cost will be lower than the Mopar setup.

Lets hear some thoughts on this. Did I miss something/do anything incorrectly here?
Thanks for the input, I was also thinking about the Mopar kit but as you pointed out the downside would be that its a 2". I will say that i had heard some bad things about the RL kit but I had also heard way worse from the Rough Country 3.5" which at first was an option but Ive decided may not be the best option due to quality.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I was also thinking about the Mopar kit but as you pointed out the downside would be that its a 2". I will say that i had heard some bad things about the RL kit but I had also heard way worse from the Rough Country 3.5" which at first was an option but Ive decided may not be the best option due to quality.

The RL and the Rough Country are very similar kits by design, just differ in quality of materials. Again, the Mopar would net 3" front 2" rear if you use it with ORP front springs. RL is 3.5" front and 2" rear.

SouthRam1500

Reaction score
The RL and the Rough Country are very similar kits by design, just differ in quality of materials. Again, the Mopar would net 3" front 2" rear if you use it with ORP front springs. RL is 3.5" front and 2" rear.

just curious on what youended up doing.

DeDax

Reaction score
I have also contemplated the same idea's. In theory both the Bilstein & Fox should ride similarly since they are both 2" shocks. I currently have non-orp with a 2" spacer up front so anything I do should be an improvement to ride quality & performance. Only other + of going with Mopar kit is the use of the Mopar UCA's, but they are relatively inexpensive to buy separately, I think they around $55 per side. I don't want a pre-determined specific height increase, as I am sticking with a relatively mild increase in tire size. What I want is an OEM+ Level off road look/performance. Currently I am contemplating the set up below.

Front: Bilstein 5100 w/ ORP Springs ( Bilstein set at 4 or 5, TBD)
Rear: Bilstein 5160 w/ ORP Springs
UCA: Mopar
Wheels: 20x9 + 1
Tires: 275/60 or 285/60

Bflo_J

Reaction score
4 Days into my 3.5” Readylift kit that has been installed with new 20” wheels and 35x12.5 tires on my 5th gen 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn. SMH love the height but definitely not liking the ride quality nor creeks and noises. Hit a bump doin 30 and the front end feels crazy. Definitely gonna look into swap out options at this point.

Attachments

• 58CB00E4-6414-4CCC-919B-ABDB117A8136.jpeg
    58CB00E4-6414-4CCC-919B-ABDB117A8136.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 131

DeDax

Reaction score
Very disappointing to hear. I hear the Fox shocks with the mopar kit ride like a dream. And the decision continues.

Users who are viewing this thread