5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5" lift CV joint experiences

HammerdownYouTube

Reaction score
I have a Rebel and am running the 3.5 SST with the pre load spacer, from what I understand the 1 inch of lift comes from a larger spring and the spacer gives the spring more preload essentially making it not sag as much as stock with the weight of the truck It doesn't give you any real lift since the distance from the base of the spring to the top hat stays the same, so with the bigger spring you may have a stiffer ride with a Rebel and a slightly higher ride height since now the spring won't move as much with the extra tension but the real lift comes from the spacer on the top, this lift does give you a bit of CV angle but time will tell if its enough to cause any issues. I will be putting mine through its paces and see for sure.

paulD

Reaction score
View attachment 44936

Here’s mine for reference. If you don’t want to do a full lift, I would suggest leveling by removing the spacer that’s inside the strut, only using the top spacer and remove the rear spacer.
You have the 3.5 in Readylift? Did you remove the pre load spacer?

Pcar951

Reaction score
Just measure the distance from the hub center to fender. Readylift advices no more than 22” from center to fender. I emailed them as my rebel shows 22” to the dot. They recommend I install the full kit and just make sure I do not exceed 25.5 “ total. Here is a copy of the email I received “The kit can be installed on the vehicle including the pre load spacer as long as you are not over that 22" mark. Once everything is installed you should not see the vehicle exceed 25.5". Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great weekend. ”

DFav438

Reaction score
I have a Rebel and am running the 3.5 SST with the pre load spacer, from what I understand the 1 inch of lift comes from a larger spring and the spacer gives the spring more preload essentially making it not sag as much as stock with the weight of the truck It doesn't give you any real lift since the distance from the base of the spring to the top hat stays the same, so with the bigger spring you may have a stiffer ride with a Rebel and a slightly higher ride height since now the spring won't move as much with the extra tension but the real lift comes from the spacer on the top, this lift does give you a bit of CV angle but time will tell if its enough to cause any issues. I will be putting mine through its paces and see for sure.
Any issues with it ? I have the ORP and my angles are just like yours and has me worried.

ApexPumpwolf

Reaction score
How are things holding up? I just did this to my rebel and my cv joints look exactly like yours which made me worried.

robertsws

Reaction score
I have a rebel, 2.5 rough country in the front, 1.5 RC in the back, so effectively 3.5 & 2.5. Just finished the install and took it out and I'm throwing grease from the front P/S CV. Gonna clean it up and see if the boot tore. If it's just a clamp issue, I'm thinking of going with a worm gear clamp from Autozone. Not optimal, but I hear they work. Any input from you guys?

Attachments

• grease.jpg
    grease.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

DegenRam

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on this post and see if there was anymore feedback. I saw from @HammerdownYouTube on one of his videos that he had cv axle issues. Given that was on a rebel which technically has an additional inch lift compared to putting this kit on a non-rebel, non-offroad 1500. Has anyone with a non-rebel/non-offroad with this kit that regularly uses 4x4 and offroads had any issues after a while?

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I have zero Issues. I installed my SST kit with ~12k Miles. I now have 33K miles. Zero Issues. Just use 4x4 when it rains or on trails when I MTB.

GeorgetownfarmerMM

Reaction score
2021 ram 1500 bighorn crew cab 5.7L Hemi v8 diamond black with 35" ridge graplers. Farm truck doesn't give a f#$&

I'll get Ya'll a picture and exact brand of lift if I can (I got more important things to remember). However, everything was going good with the 3.5" lift (not so much with the rest of the lemon) until I did a little baby bunny hop, going quickly down a dirt back road on my property, got a little airborne off a hump, and who would have figured, a cv axle popped out. Front passenger side. I've had the drivers side boot come off just a few months prior when I was just doing some normal off road driving without any obstacles and I was going pretty slow.
I'm about to get up close and personal with the passenger side when I replace it. Hopefully I didn't miss anything on my first assessment, I just want to be done with it. And until the truck goes bye bye, I'll keep 4 tires on the ground.
Next truck, I'm getting after market cv extensions or whatever you want to call them, I didn't realize 3.5" was going to be an issue, but I guess most people aren't doing 65-70 on dirt backroads... people now days seem to get a 4x4 and shiny want to do any actual off road driving, or even get it dirty. Lol. Dang parking lot princesses. Side note: one guy at a dealer commented that the lift was "such an extreme lift".... I didn't reply.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread