5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5 lift advice and opinions, thoughts

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
Fairly new to the forum. I've read a lot of posts regarding lifts, tires, exhausts and all the other crap I plan on doing to my truck. This discussion is primarily about lifts. I currently have a 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn and I am planning to have a 3.5" lift installed, but I'm still debating on how I want to go about doing it. I really enjoy the ride of my truck and I do not want to sacrifice that too much. So my plan is to purchase the Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts, Tuff Country 2" leveling kit (2" top hat with roller ball UCAs) and the ICON rear springs that lift the rear 1.5 inches with the rear Bilstein 5100 shocks. Sounds like a lit of piecing together but I think this is the best option to keep the same drive quality OR do I just buy the Readylift kit and save some money. I tow a boat so I wanted the stiffer springs in the back. I was also curious about the actual rear spacer on the readylift kit. Website says its 2" but I've read people say its only 1.5".

Right now rear is sitting at 22.25" from center of wheel to top of fender. Add the 1.5 inch spring and I'll be sitting at 23.75
Front is sitting at 20.75 from center of wheel to top of fender. Add the 2" top hat and adjust Bilstein to #3 (.90) and I should be at 23.65. Now with that said, I've read others say the Bilstein strut will settle. So do I go up one to (1.3) putting me at 24.05 and hoping it settles down a 1/4 inch??

Or just say screw it and buy the readylift kit...

I'd like to hear what other have to say about my plan and also from guys that are running the ready lift kit and their opinions. Buying the kits isn't a money issue or I would go with a 4" BDS but I'm working with a 81" garage door so I'm limited on how much I can lift. If I could get rid of that giant shark fin antenna it would change the whole game but I can’t find any aftermarket flat antennas for it.

Thanks

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have heard nothing but good things about the 3.5" readylift kit. I personally would go that route as you wouldn't have to piece together a kit. You could still always swap out the springs for a stiffer set, or even go with airbags. The only area I have heard of issues with the RL kit is from owners with the off road package which it appears you do not have.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost every spacer you use for a coil spring will not be the actual thickness of the lift you get. They'll always be slightly smaller. I would say go with slight rake over front end high, especially if you tow. The shocks will sit higher than you plan and then settle, so even if you wanted 0 lift you'd have a bit right after they put the truck back on the ground, then they'll settle out.

In my experience with my Titan I preferred a bigger spacer over pre-loading the Bilsteins. I ran Bilsteins on 1" and a 2" spacer for a while before moving to a 3" spacer up front and Bilsteins at 0. The shocks ride better when they're not pre-loaded. I can't say about the rear since it's leaf springs vs coils, and I just stuck a spacer under the leafs.

Users who are viewing this thread