5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5 inch speaker upgrade

Goblinspawn

Reaction score
I went to upgrade the 3.5 speakers in the dash and noticed that the original speakers are 8 ohms. The replacement units are JBL speakers rated at 3.5 ohms. I cannot find any specifications on the uconect system or ANC system that spells out if this is going to be a problem or not. Has anyone else done this ? I have the base 6 speaker system.
Thank You in Advance for any information !!!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I went to upgrade the 3.5 speakers in the dash and noticed that the original speakers are 8 ohms. The replacement units are JBL speakers rated at 3.5 ohms. I cannot find any specifications on the uconect system or ANC system that spells out if this is going to be a problem or not. Has anyone else done this ? I have the base 6 speaker system.
Thank You in Advance for any information !!!
Go for it! The JBL will be way more efficient and powerful. Just don't forget to add Bass-Blockers.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They will work. But when I put my 3 ohm Infinitys in (with bass blockers) the sound was a little off. They sounded good, but slightly scratchy at higher volume. Bass also seemed lacking from the front doors. Replaced the Infinitys with 8ohm FaitalPRO 3.5s and it sounds better. Requires a little trimming of the mounts to fit. There's tons of info in the huge speaker thread here, but it's quite a lot to sift through.

Gozar

Reaction score
I decided on the Kenwood "made for RAM 1500" kit in with new mid woofers in the doors and matching 3.5 in the dash. Sounded great so I replaced the rear door speakers with Kenwoods and added a JBL powered 8" under the passenger rear seat and a Kicker 40w key DSP amp. I don't need "Boom" so I am very happy.

Link to Kenwood kit https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kfc-xp6903c/

Last edited:

MikeS54

Reaction score
With the 8ohm dash speakers in my 2014 Ram, I had to put in 4 ohm resistors when I swapped out the speakers with 4ohm replacements (kickers). The new kickers were about twice as loud as the other 4 speakers, so I had to put in 4ohm resistors. After that, it all sounded good. Here's what is used - https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Expres...3926c&pd_rd_wg=zGR98&pd_rd_i=B0002KR4FC&psc=1

I was looking at those JBL's as well for my Rebel. So i figure ill come across the same issue if these factory dash speakers are 8 ohms as well. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers in the next few weeks.

A true 8 ohm dash speaker would be good, so thanks for that info Peining2150. I'll be looking at those.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I decided on the Kenwood "made for RAM 1500" kit in with new mid woofers in the doors and matching 3.5 in the dash. Sounded great so I replaced the rear door speakers with Kenwoods and added a JBL powered 8" under the passenger rear seat and a Kicker 40w key DSP amp. I don't need "Boom" so I am very happy.

Link to Kenwood kit https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kfc-xp6903c/
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Infinity Ref-3032 from Crutchfield with the supplied pigtail and the 4 ohm resistor is the way to go . . . I will eventually do the Infinity Ref-9633 in all 4 doors as well

Users who are viewing this thread