5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 with lift + 35’s

Hoythews71

Reaction score
I know there’s a bunch of threads that remotely discuss this, but my search feature sucks through the app, so there...

Have a 2019 Laramie Sport Blackout, 3.21 gears, 22’s Blackout wheels. Want to lift. 4-6”, 325/60r20 (35x13) on a 20x12 -44 Hostile wheel. Know I’m going to have to trim and will probably get a little rub at full turn.

The gears are my main concern.

Have a Pulsar installed (performance mode is INSANE) so I can change tire size within the computer, but don’t want to entirely diminish mileage and engine pep.l, and also don’t want to constantly live between 6-8 gear shifts and suck down gas unnecessarily. Anyone that can relate and give some feedback? Considering trading in to a 3.92 just because of this.

Appreciate the help here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheeler

Reaction score
I know there’s a bunch of threads that remotely discuss this, but my search feature sucks through the app, so there...

Have a 2019 Laramie Sport Blackout, 3.21 gears, 22’s Blackout wheels. Want to lift. 4-6”, 325/60r20 (35x13) on a 20x12 -44 Hostile wheel. Know I’m going to have to trim and will probably get a little rub at full turn.

The gears are my main concern.

Have a Pulsar installed (performance mode is INSANE) so I can change tire size within the computer, but don’t want to entirely diminish mileage and engine pep.l, and also don’t want to constantly live between 6-8 gear shifts and suck down gas unnecessarily. Anyone that can relate and give some feedback? Considering trading in to a 3.92 just because of this.

Appreciate the help here.

As long as you are not planning to drag race or tow max limit you would be fine.
Keep tire inflate to 50 psi.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
3.92 would be a huge improvement with that big of a tire. From the way you asked the question, I think you already know that

Clyde

Reaction score
I’m running the Falcon 34’s (which are actually the same diameter as the 35” Ko2’s). Had my speedo calibrated to the new tire size right away. I have the 3.21 diff.

There was a noticeable difference In the “pep”, however there is still more than enough power, I just have to lay into the pedal a little more to access it. The truck (obviously) grabs the the road much better, with stock tires I would often break the tires loose trying to pull out in front of someone in a hurry.

My MPG took about a 2 mpg hit, I can live with that. Driving conscientiously I get 13-14 city, 17 - 18 highway. If I romp on it, I can tank those numbers.

As a whole, I am very happy with my setup.

Hoythews71

Reaction score
3.92 would be a huge improvement with that big of a tire. From the way you asked the question, I think you already know that

Yeah, we’ll aware the 3.92’s would be ideal here. And would actually LIKE to do the gear swap, but as far as I’m aware, the front diff is sealed and requires a complete changeout on these trucks. Kind of a ridiculous design.

Rustin5

Reaction score
Yeah, we’ll aware the 3.92’s would be ideal here. And would actually LIKE to do the gear swap, but as far as I’m aware, the front diff is sealed and requires a complete changeout on these trucks. Kind of a ridiculous design.

some ones has the rear gears and front carrier assembly for sale in the buy/sell/trade section right now

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need a 3.92 especially if you live in an area with elevation changes or your going to have a lot of shifting between 7th & 8th gears.

Sigep924

Reaction score
I ran 35x11.50's on my 17 with 3:21 gears for three years without a problem. Actually got better fuel mileage with it than my new 2020 with 3:93 and stock tires!

Users who are viewing this thread