5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3:21 vs 3:92 Gears

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
I live in Palm Bay Florida & try as I might, reaching out 250 miles, in inventory Rams with 3:21 gears are like hens teeth. Gotta wonder why....not everyone tows something that heavy that often.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I just went through builds in AZ, CA, CO, NM, TX, NV, OR and can't find them. Going to have to build my truck.

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
I just went through builds in AZ, CA, CO, NM, TX, NV, OR and can't find them. Going to have to build my truck.
Did that build thing today at local dealer. But I'm being ask to place a non-refundable deposit on a truck the cost of which cannot be accurately determined at order. My trade value at the estimated delivery, 8-10 weeks, & the rebates, discounts, etc available at delivery are subject to change. Not happy.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IDK, most 3.92 guys are saying they get 13-15 in the city, I'm getting 17-18mpg where my previous 3.92 truck was getting 12-13. To me, that is insanely better mileage. I also average 420-430 miles per tank on a 26 gallon tank (refill with 23-24 gallons).
I'd bet a 3.92 truck isnt getting that

You’d be correct lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneck

Reaction score
im in punta gorda fl & i searched alot of zip codes across the us for a 6'4" bed with 3.21 gears didnt find any over a 2 week period so i ordered one. why is every truck out their got a 5' 7" bed & 3.92 gears

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
im in punta gorda fl & i searched alot of zip codes across the us for a 6'4" bed with 3.21 gears didnt find any over a 2 week period so i ordered one. why is every truck out their got a 5' 7" bed & 3.92 gears
I want the Ram box Option so have to get the 5'7" box, but cannot understand the popularity of the 3.92 gears either.

redneck

Reaction score
i didnt feel any performance gain in the 3.92 but saw a big difference in the mpg. max i tow is 7k about 1x pr month just local i went with the 3.21

redneck

Reaction score
Did that build thing today at local dealer. But I'm being ask to place a non-refundable deposit on a truck the cost of which cannot be accurately determined at order. My trade value at the estimated delivery, 8-10 weeks, & the rebates, discounts, etc available at delivery are subject to change. Not happy.
i was in the same boat.lol i just hammered on the dealer & got them to write the deal for $1800 below employ price + what ever factory rebates are available at delivery. had to give them 3k non refundable deposit & they put in a email if i kept my trade under 50k miles they would give me $37k for trade in

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
Dealer today gave 8.3% off MSRP & no guarantee of trade value expected in 8-10 weeks. Guessing I'm taking this show on the road. My trade is an excellent 2018 2500HD Laramie 4wd Diesel with 35k so feel I should get more respect.. Located Palm Bay Florida.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.92 here, took a 800 mile trip all highway through hills/mts of ma, ny and pa, averaged 20.3 round trip. 72-73 mph 2 people +700# of stuff. Sounds like I am doing better than most with this gearing. Around town about 12 mpg, I just can't seem to keep my foot off the 'fun button '

redneck

Reaction score
yeah that sounds much better than most with the 3.92 set up is that hand cal. or what the dash says

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve got 3.92s and regularly got slightly above 20MPG hand calculated on our 3000 mile road trip last summer. In daily suburbia driving I’m between 14-15. Honestly, from what I’ve seen from 3.21 owners the difference is very small, we’re all discussing minutiae here. (But that’s what makes this forum great 😊)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can lock in the agreed-upon purchase price; I did that (signed Purchase Order Confirmation). My MSRP was higher at delivery, but the dealer honored our agreement.

Many buyers here have reported that they've also locked in their trade value; I've never attempted that.

Finally, there is a possibility of requesting current incentives be "protected", such that they will still apply at your delivery date—presuming incentives haven't improved by that time. I did attempt this, but the small incentive I was requesting was not eligible for protection.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want the Ram box Option so have to get the 5'7" box, but cannot understand the popularity of the 3.92 gears either.
Because RAM Hemi's are relatively slow to begin with.
Then factor in the amount of people who lift their trucks and slap bigger tires on them.
Ram is attempting to curb the acceleration differences from Ford. Remember most Fords hit peak torque below 2,500 rpms, so they don't struggle as much with lifts and bigger tires.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve got 3.92s and regularly got slightly above 20MPG hand calculated on our 3000 mile road trip last summer. In daily suburbia driving I’m between 14-15. Honestly, from what I’ve seen from 3.21 owners the difference is very small, we’re all discussing minutiae here. (But that’s what makes this forum great 😊)

Lol, difference isn't very small. Im now at 11K miles and 18.1 80/20 city/hwy

20201110_084600.jpg

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I would think that the amount of weight in the bed is as important as the towing.

i have the 3.92 and like the feel and take off when loaded.

not sure getting 1 to 2 more mpg is a factor as to be honest mpg is not a strong suit for this truck with the V-8 regardless of the rear end ratio.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That’s all on the dealer, many don’t do that. In Ohio, it’s illegal to have a non-refundable deposit for builds for example.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah that sounds much better than most with the 3.92 set up is that hand cal. or what the dash says

believe it or not, hand calc and dash pretty much agree for me. the top 1/4 tank can be .1-.2 mpg off but I believe that is more reliant on the pump sensitivity. (if it puts an extra 1/4 gallon before shutting off then I get an extra little bit before the fuel gets down to full, if that makes sense) for a full tank my hand calc and dash are usually spot on. Only time the dash is messed up is when I forget to reset until a half hour down the road.:oops:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
not sure getting 1 to 2 more mpg is a factor as to be honest mpg is not a strong suit for this truck with the V-8 regardless of the rear end ratio.

Actually you have that backwards; BECAUSE these things only get 15 mpg, a 1 to 2 mpg (and it's more like 3+ mpg, by the way) is absolutely huge.

If you drove a camry getting 35 mpg and you buddy had a civic that got 36 to 37, yes at that point you can say "who cares".

I'm not surprised the 3.92 is so well liked when it's so horribly misunderstood 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread