5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 to 3.92 gear change

kunkernator

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, got a couple questions.

Im sure this has been covered before, although i cannot find specifics on part numbers.

I own a 2019 Ram 1500 New body, Hemi eTorque, 4x4, 3.21 axle

I have come to the realization that either sooner or later, i will be swapping the gears over to a 3.92. i understand that the front differential assembly needs to be changed, while the rear ring and pinion can be changed.

I found this part number to be for the "new" 3.92 differential assembly that i will need: 68349705AD

And this part number for the rear 3.92 ring/pinion set: 68088164AD

My questions as follows:
Are those the correct part numbers if i go with Mopar parts?
Is that front differential assembly the only one that will fit my truck, or will one out of a used 4th gen truck fit as well?
As for aftermarket options for the rear, i am only finding 3.90 ratio sets, are these correct?
Would you prefer aftermarket or factory parts for the rear?
When i do the swap, is a tuner necessary, or can FCA reflash my truck for the new ratios?

Thanks all in advance!

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed the rear gear on a 4th gen Ram 4x2. Back then it cost me about $300 for parts (that I purchased and supplied to the shop) and $900 for labor. Took them a full day to install. If it had been a 4x4 I would have just traded the truck for something similar with the gear ratio I wanted.

Cost-wise probably a wash, less risk of problems and loss of warranty on those parts. Unless you have a lot of money in mods that are not easily removed, maybe consider selling yours and buy what you want/need?

kunkernator

Reaction score
I changed the rear gear on a 4th gen Ram 4x2. Back then it cost me about $300 for parts (that I purchased and supplied to the shop) and $900 for labor. Took them a full day to install. If it had been a 4x4 I would have just traded the truck for something similar with the gear ratio I wanted.

Cost-wise probably a wash, less risk of problems and loss of warranty on those parts. Unless you have a lot of money in mods that are not easily removed, maybe consider selling yours and buy what you want/need?

Appreciate the response, but cost wise, is no concern to me, i can get the OEM parts for ~$1500 and labor is free. Im not concerned regarding the warranty, i will most likely be doing this toward the end of my warranty.

If anyone else has any insight on my questions i appreciate it. Thanks.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, got a couple questions.

Im sure this has been covered before, although i cannot find specifics on part numbers.

I own a 2019 Ram 1500 New body, Hemi eTorque, 4x4, 3.21 axle

I have come to the realization that either sooner or later, i will be swapping the gears over to a 3.92. i understand that the front differential assembly needs to be changed, while the rear ring and pinion can be changed.

I found this part number to be for the "new" 3.92 differential assembly that i will need: 68349705AD

And this part number for the rear 3.92 ring/pinion set: 68088164AD

My questions as follows:
Are those the correct part numbers if i go with Mopar parts?
Is that front differential assembly the only one that will fit my truck, or will one out of a used 4th gen truck fit as well?
As for aftermarket options for the rear, i am only finding 3.90 ratio sets, are these correct?
Would you prefer aftermarket or factory parts for the rear?
When i do the swap, is a tuner necessary, or can FCA reflash my truck for the new ratios?

Thanks all in advance!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread