5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 1/2 ready lift sst

Sarge48

Reaction score
Getting a 2021 1500 Laramie with 18 in. Factory wheels was going with a 3 1/2 Readylift kit upon closer research ( the 4wheel drive shop guy) said that with that kit and the tires I was going with 295/70/18 toyo RT’s the UCA would rub the wheel ???? He said if I got 20inch wheels 295/60 /20’s it would work. Anyone had an issue like this or can chime in about it ?? Don’t really want to run wheel spacers acct of the off roading I do . May just should have ordered 20 inch wheels??? Maybe dealer would do a swap ( for a fee) any solution suggestions???

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You don't want the 3.5 SST kit if you plan on doing any off-roading, it's not recommended for off-road use by ReadyLift.

It comes with a top hat spacer which is fine, but the problem is the spring pre-load spacer which will stiffen your ride too much, even on the street.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Top spacers are for the most part not the best idea with IFS. You can use a small 1/8 or 1/4" thickness tops to correct for a trim issue. Why ? You're phisycally shifting down the mounting point at the top of your strut assembly virtually entending the lenght of your struts. That in essence is not bad as long as you're not over extending your CV's, tie rods, UCA's and/or UCA's doesn't bind/contact any other parts. People with the SST 3.5" lift are reporting contact with the UCA and the springs at full droop. from Readylift website they don't recommend installing the preload spacers if your ride height exceeds 22" from hub to fender because i'd think they're accounting for the top spacer to put your assembly 2" more at full droop plus in combination with the preload spacer the entire assembly witll over extend your CV's or who knows what else. Combine that with some of the forum recomendations you to run a lifting strut (5100's) on top of your RL top spacer and you're doing the same thing the preload spacer is doing to your factory struts when it comes to the overall provided lift.

Best way to know, put your front wheels in the air and check for clearance issues aorund all areas, CV's, UCA's, springs, note your CV angles..., do they look angled down excessively ? Do you have contact with anything at full droop ?

This is a picture i found while researching the new truck front suspension. Look at the gap between the factory UCA and springs at full droop. what do you think will happen when you relocate the top strut location down with a big top spacer ? chances of the uca hitting the springs are likely.
1602692382895.png

This is the entire article where the picture above was taken

This is a little video that explain the issues you might run with top spacers. Keep in mind the video talks about installing top spacers in a Tacoma, but the concept applies to most IFS vehicles that use A-arms

Somebody with the RL lift with and without the preload spacers should be able to clarify angles for everybody if they document what they have and post pics and measurements ? Best way for everybody to know if it'll work or not ?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Top spacers are for the most part not the best idea with IFS. You can use a small 1/8 or 1/4" thickness tops to correct for a trim issue. Why ? You're phisycally shifting down the mounting point at the top of your strut assembly virtually entending the lenght of your struts. That in essence is not bad as long as you're not over extending your CV's, tie rods, UCA's and/or UCA's doesn't bind/contact any other parts. People with the SST 3.5" lift are reporting contact with the UCA and the springs at full droop. from Readylift website they don't recommend installing the preload spacers if your ride height exceeds 22" from hub to fender because i'd think they're accounting for the top spacer to put your assembly 2" more at full droop plus in combination with the preload spacer the entire assembly witll over extend your CV's or who knows what else. Combine that with some of the forum recomendations you to run a lifting strut (5100's) on top of your RL top spacer and you're doing the same thing the preload spacer is doing to your factory struts when it comes to the overall provided lift.

Best way to know, put your front wheels in the air and check for clearance issues aorund all areas, CV's, UCA's, springs, note your CV angles..., do they look angled down excessively ? Do you have contact with anything at full droop ?

This is a picture i found while researching the new truck front suspension. Look at the gap between the factory UCA and springs at full droop. what do you think will happen when you relocate the top strut location down with a big top spacer ? chances of the uca hitting the springs are likely.
View attachment 71699

This is the entire article where the picture above was taken

This is a little video that explain the issues you might run with top spacers. Keep in mind the video talks about installing top spacers in a Tacoma, but the concept applies to most IFS vehicles that use A-arms

Somebody with the RL lift with and without the preload spacers should be able to clarify angles for everybody if they document what they have and post pics and measurements ? Best way for everybody to know if it'll work or not ?

I agree with the 3.5" systems, it's probably too much for a stock suspension. But in regards to the the top spacers used on 2" levels, I don't think it should be an issue, especially with revised UCAs that is included with the kit. There are even people who run Motofab 2" top spacers with the stock UCA that feel the angles are fine.

I haven't seen any evidence that shows the DT RAMs with those 2" spacers having any of the same issues Tacomas have at full droop.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’ll just chime in that 18 inch wheels are the way to go if you’re off-roading much :cool:

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
I agree with the 3.5" systems, it's probably too much for a stock suspension. But in regards to the the top spacers used on 2" levels, I don't think it should be an issue, especially with revised UCAs that is included with the kit. There are even people who run Motofab 2" top spacers with the stock UCA that feel the angles are fine.

I haven't seen any evidence that shows the DT RAMs with those 2" spacers having any of the same issues Tacomas have at full droop.
I think it may work if you don't offroad the truck, and as long you don't have ORP and you're not using anything else to lift. but why not do 5100's at 2" instead ? much safer and even cheaper than the RL 3.5 kit.

In any case this is an example RL 2" + UCA,
Don't know if the top spacer that comes with the RL 3.5 kit is the same as this one ?

i think this is an RL 3.5, don't know how long the CV's will survive on this Rebel so prob why RL says not to use the full kit on anything with ORP, not for offroad use.

Directly from RL website, even the 2" with UCA's says not for off-road use if you have ORP

An article that explains graphically why top spacers are bad on an IFS:

Top spacers are not new though and i know their price makes them attractive. I know cause i did them too when i started getting into offroading. They have their followers for sure :) Keep them as small as possible if you need to use them. Consider different springs or a different strut or Coilover system if you need to add more than 1/2" via top spacers.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think it may work if you don't offroad the truck, and as long you don't have ORP and you're not using anything else to lift. but why not do 5100's at 2" instead ? much safer and even cheaper than the RL 3.5 kit.

In any case this is an example RL 2" + UCA,
Don't know if the top spacer that comes with the RL 3.5 kit is the same as this one ?

i think this is an RL 3.5, don't know how long the CV's will survive on this Rebel so prob why RL says not to use the full kit on anything with ORP, not for offroad use.

Directly from RL website, even the 2" with UCA's says not for off-road use if you have ORP

An article that explains graphically why top spacers are bad on an IFS:

Top spacers are not new though and i know their price makes them attractive. I know cause i did them too when i started getting into offroading. They have their followers for sure :) Keep them as small as possible if you need to use them. Consider different springs or a different strut or Coilover system if you need to add more than 1/2" via top spacers.

Absolutely on the 5100s for a level, you should be able to get the 2" while not fully extending to make them a rough ride at 2.4" full extension. Include the Readylift UCAs and I think that would be a great level kit.

Thanks for the Top Spacer link, good info, though they don't actually say spacers are bad. It depends on their use, their summation makes perfect sense....

"Bottom Line
If you're trying to gain more clearance for a wheel and tire combo, and dont do much offroading or aggressive terrain, spacers will work. If you need the clearance for wheels and tires, and you definitely plan on offroading or exploring off the beaten path, grab new struts and shocks for the leveling kit & improved ride control."

rgenereux420

Reaction score
So I have a ready lift 2 inch level kit and still rubbing. Has anyone added a 2 inch top hat spacer to a level kit ?

Users who are viewing this thread