5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.0L S/O vs 5.7 Hemi Dyno Video

Well the tires and wheels alone will skew the numbers on the Hemi. Also, were these done back to back. Temp and humidity differences will mess with numbers as well.

No doubt the Hurricane will be a beast of a motor, especially when tuned; but stock for stock those numbers look a little inflated IMO. I love the red and black look on that 25 though. Sexy.

Well the tires and wheels alone will skew the numbers on the Hemi. Also, were these done back to back. Temp and humidity differences will mess with numbers as well.

No doubt the Hurricane will be a beast of a motor, especially when tuned; but stock for stock those numbers look a little inflated IMO. I love the red and black look on that 25 though. Sexy.

Why do you think they are inflated? The difference is about the same as the factory reported HP numbers for the HO Hurricane vs Hemi and not much different than what they report for the standard Hurricane. All the reviews I've read about the Hurricane engine is that there is very noticeably more HP than the Hemi and it takes more than a few HP to make a difference most drivers will notice.

Why do you think they are inflated? The difference is about the same as the factory reported HP numbers for the HO Hurricane vs Hemi and not much different than what they report for the standard Hurricane. All the reviews I've read about the Hurricane engine is that there is very noticeably more HP than the Hemi and it takes more than a few HP to make a difference most drivers will notice.
I test drove a 2025 with the SO the other day and it felt a lot stronger merging on the highway. Compared to my laramie 5.7. Sales dude said step on it lol felt good. Makes me wanna drive the HO

I test drove a 2025 with the SO the other day and it felt a lot stronger merging on the highway. Compared to my laramie 5.7. Sales dude said step on it lol felt good. Makes me wanna drive the HO
It's no doubt stronger, but not night and day. The HO on the other hand. Yes please.

The Hemi had 17.4% parasitic loss seems high and the Hurricane had 11.1% which seems low.
Agreed, especially considering it's transferred through the same drivetrain. Gear ratios will also throw off numbers as well. I dynod my supercharged mustang a few different times over the years with tire/gear ratio changes, and got quite different results. Most dynos can be manipulated fairly easily when playing around with correction factors.

I doubt American trucks is really manipulating anything, just different results based on different trucks. Not surprising.

I'd like to drive a SO to see the difference compared to the HO.

I drove in my buddy's 2021 5.7 E-Torque a few weeks ago. Very nice, but not quick. But yesterday, I picked up my 2025 Rebel in TN. Put 500 miles on it today driving it home (I also checked on the house we are building in TN which is why I purchased from the local dealer). Tonight I drove the kids home from a Halloween thing and romped on it a little...it's got power you can feel and my son noticed too. Of course, he was used to the 6.7 Cummins which while powerful, wasn't winning any street races.

The Hemi isn't really a powerhouse to begin with, honestly felt a bit lethargic compared to my 2.7L Ecoboost (weight & throttle response a bit part of that). That being said, the Hemi has much more character, which is why I traded for my Rebel in the first place.

However, I would consider a non-V8 Ram only in the form of the RHO. That truck appeals to me, the wide body and suspension without the crazy HC motor for more daily livability. The HO Hurricane really makes sense to me with that platform, like the V6 Raptor but with even more power at a cheaper price to boot!

When the time comes to move on from m Rebel, it will either be a used TRX or a new RHO, I think I'm leaning on the new RHO.

Last edited:
The hemi has always been doggie imo. It really benefits from a tune.

Even a pulsar on tow mode wakes this truck up a fair amount. It's not necessarily the engine itself, on stock tune they have kind of gutted the mid range throttle response, probably for fuel efficiency.

Even a pulsar on tow mode wakes this truck up a fair amount. It's not necessarily the engine itself, on stock tune they have kind of gutted the mid range throttle response, probably for fuel efficiency.

Agreed. The biggest difference I noticed in the Hurricane was the midrange. The Hemi isn't a total dog, but requires it to be wound up pretty good before it starts making power. The 3.92's really help in this dept. The dyno chart confirms this, regardless of overall output. FI will put more power to the ground sooner, which makes the truck feel quicker from that alone. I ran a centri on my Mustang for a year and then switched to a roots style, and while both of them made within a few hp of each other, the roots felt infinitely quicker.

Lol. Except 0 to 60 from a dead stop with nothing in the truck. 8.4 seconds.

Why do you even bother posting, because literally every post of yours I have the unfortunate luck to stumble across is half truths or complete bull ****.

LOL. It's actually your post that is the half truth since the article did not compare the exact same HD truck with a 5.7. As I said in my post you quoted, with "all else being equal". Things like different gearing, weight and aerodynamics will have a huge impact on 0-60 performance and the typical 2500 weighs about 1500 lbs more than the typical 1500. Do a little research into how much even 50 lbs will impact 0-60 performance and you will be shocked. THINK HARDER.

LOL. It's actually your post that is the half truth since the article did not compare the exact same HD truck with a 5.7. As I said in my post you quoted, with "all else being equal". Things like different gearing, weight and aerodynamics will have a huge impact on 0-60 performance and the typical 2500 weighs about 1500 lbs more than the typical 1500. Do a little research into how much even 50 lbs will impact 0-60 performance and you will be shocked. THINK HARDER.

Classic DEG. The context of the comparison (the guy you replied to) was the 5.7/SO 1500 vs the 6.7 2500.

READ HARDER.

And you're still out to lunch, of course, because the 2013 ram 2500 with the 5.7 (powerwagon no less) was tested at 8.1 seconds.

Of course, now come the excuses. Different weight trucks, different days, different weather, different testers, I bet they even wore different color socks.

"blow away". Yeah. An engine that "blows away" another one doesn't need qualifiers about gear ratios and tire sizes. You dig into those details when two engines are almost perfectly matched.

Welcome to my ignored users list. Ain't nobody got time for this.

The weight diffrence is a lot more than that. My 21 ram 2500 with the 6.7 was 8430lbs with me in it . My 25 1500 warlock 3.0 is 5220lbs with me in it. Both crew cab 4x4 short beds. Most stock SO 6.7 dyno low 300s hp and low 500s tq ofcoarse the torque curve looks completely diffrent on a diesel. If the 3.0 HO makes it's way into 3/4 ton trucks and proves reliable I'd probably lean that way if I were to ever step back into a 3/4 ton given all the problems with modern diesels.

All else being equal, the 6.7 Cummins will blow away a 5.7 Hemi in every kind of contest.

Out pull, yea.

This weak hemi feels ALOT quicker than 6.7 Cummins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back