5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.0 HO as an OPTION

c_bass16

Reaction score
I get that the HO is the "New Hotness" but for the love of all things holy. What happened to offering a performance upgrade for the people that choose to do it.
Ford for example. If I want to buy an F150 XLT...I can CHOOSE a 2.7 Eco, a 3.5 Eco, 3.5 Power and 5.0.
Now I get it, they drop the 5.7 Hemi, but they don't even try and revise or update the v8 option for people that still want one? Fine. I get it, the performance of the 3.0 is better...whatever, I'll deal with it.
BUT...you offer a Laramie GT and a Rebel GT, but you get zero performance upgrade for a performance oriented truck. I mean really?

You couldn't have given the GT pkg the CHOICE of the 3.0 or the 3.0 HO?

It's like Ram took all the great decisions they made with the 2018-19 release of the DT and threw them all out the window and said...F' It.

It's no wonder sales are tanking.

It's kinda odd, the only trim level you can get an engine upgrade in is the big horn if I remember correctly. The pentastar is standard and the SO hurricane is optional. Given a choice to upgrade my laramie to HO I almost certainly would have.

Yeah I agree with you, I would love to have the option of what engine I wanted in my truck or even options. I hate that you can't order your truck to your likings. it has to be a whole package that gives you stuff you don't need or care for.

I get that the HO is the "New Hotness" but for the love of all things holy. What happened to offering a performance upgrade for the people that choose to do it.
Ford for example. If I want to buy an F150 XLT...I can CHOOSE a 2.7 Eco, a 3.5 Eco, 3.5 Power and 5.0.
Now I get it, they drop the 5.7 Hemi, but they don't even try and revise or update the v8 option for people that still want one? Fine. I get it, the performance of the 3.0 is better...whatever, I'll deal with it.
BUT...you offer a Laramie GT and a Rebel GT, but you get zero performance upgrade for a performance oriented truck. I mean really?

You couldn't have given the GT pkg the CHOICE of the 3.0 or the 3.0 HO?

It's like Ram took all the great decisions they made with the 2018-19 release of the DT and threw them all out the window and said...F' It.

It's no wonder sales are tanking.

Why wouldn't guys who buy a basic truck to work/tow, want the stronger (both internally and power output) motor? It's a real head scratcher but apparently Ram has a reason and I will bet "money" is in there somewhere.

Keep in mind that Stellantis killed the Hemi and Hellcat for a reason. They were getting murdered on their average fleet efficiency. Even though the Hurricane is more fuel efficient, it’s still not “good enough”. So I’m sure they’re limiting how many trucks they sell with the HO engines.

I bet it’ll be an option for the Laramie and maybe big horn in a couple years. Start it high-only, then bring it down-ticket after a year or two.

Don't they have to do a NHTSA assessment on every variation of powertrain in a model - if so does that cost, and associated EPA evaluation costs, warrant the number of sales they'd possibly get?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't guys who buy a basic truck to work/tow, want the stronger (both internally and power output) motor? It's a real head scratcher but apparently Ram has a reason and I will bet "money" is in there somewhere.
The models with the HO are rated quite a bit lower in towing capacity. The HO gives up 1500lbs towing and 500lbs payload to the SO according to ram.

Keep in mind that Stellantis killed the Hemi and Hellcat for a reason. They were getting murdered on their average fleet efficiency. Even though the Hurricane is more fuel efficient, it’s still not “good enough”. So I’m sure they’re limiting how many trucks they sell with the HO engines.

It was carbs/emissions related, not mpg? They paid billions to Tesla and Carlos-the-headless-wonder said "absolutely no more" and killed the hemi without a replacement in sight.

What's funny, is that even when paying Tesla, they still made more money those years than they did this year with the wacked up pricing and no hemis. I bet they didn't see that coming 🤣

Last edited:
The models with the HO are rated quite a bit lower in towing capacity. The HO gives up 1500lbs towing and 500lbs payload to the SO according to ram.

Current theory is that this is due to the truck itself (can only get the HO in the heavy pigs with all the features). My guess is that if you put the HO in a 2WD stripped down tradesman it would be rated as high or higher than the SO.

However, despite the actual rating, if you were to pull 8000 lbs with either engine there is no doubt the HO would pull tug it around better. And it's built stronger, its a much different engine despite the same name and displacement.

Current theory is that this is due to the truck itself (can only get the HO in the heavy pigs with all the features). My guess is that if you put the HO in a 2WD stripped down tradesman it would be rated as high or higher than the SO.

However, despite the actual rating, if you were to pull 8000 lbs with either engine there is no doubt the HO would pull tug it around better. And it's built stronger, its a much different engine despite the same name and displacement.
The HO no doubt would pull better but at the cost of increased fuel consumption. That coupled with the premium fuel requirement in my mind leaves it in a niche market. The SO has more than enough hp for towing duties associated with a half ton pickup. It has more hp and tq then the gas 3/4 ton and up offerings .

The HO no doubt would pull better but at the cost of increased fuel consumption. That coupled with the premium fuel requirement in my mind leaves it in a niche market. The SO has more than enough hp for towing duties associated with a half ton pickup. It has more hp and tq then the gas 3/4 ton and up offerings .

The 5.7 will easily pull my trailer around, and that engine (detuned) was in the 2500 for years.

When it comes down to it, even 350 hp is enough, the GM 5.3 is around there and tows well over 8000 pounds.

It's not about "need", it's just about having a stronger towing experience. But for me that power needs to be balanced against the strength/durability of the engine itself.

I don't want to start another 5.7 vs hurricane, that's not my intent; just saying, that if I crashed my truck tomorrow and needed to replace it, Ram is out of the running. First I'd have to get past the "turbo" thing, ok, now if I get past that (in theory) but I can't get the better/stronger engine in my tradesman/bighorn then I'm most certainly walking away. Just my opinion.

This was one of the reasons I didn't get a GM. I couldn't get the 6.2 in a cheap trim. That's the engine I wanted back then. Play games like that and I'll always move to the brand where I can get what I want at a cheap/reasonable price.

In some ways it may seem unfair because the SO competes in theory with the 6.2 so "I should be happy" right? But I can't work that way, I can't buy a worse engine when the engine I want is there but they're greedy and playing money games. Then I just get mad and walk away. Just how I am. 🤷‍♂️

Emissions too

Emissions too
EPA is creating many of these situations in car companies compromises. As consumers we are becoming limited in performance options, hence the Hemi 5.7 disappearing. I fear that the only ICE options will be gas sipping 2.0L and below. Performance/power options will only be electric powered.

The 3.0 H/O would be a great option to have in the lower trims so would the 485HP 392 Scat Pack Hemi. They miss so many opportunities.

Brand new 6.4's are available for $6000 + $200 for unloading if you don't have a forklift. All you have to do is swap it in, possibly reuse some of your old accessories, and get a tune.

is the towing numbers lower because of higher trim /more weight ,options? It has more power seems like it should tow more.

is the towing numbers lower because of higher trim /more weight ,options? It has more power seems like it should tow more.
The weight of a higher trim is certainly parrt of it though not sure how much. I dont think power is the limiting factor on towing anymore half ton trucks these days have more power than their 3/4 and 1 ton gas counterparts. Frames, brakes , transmissions and rear ends are their limiting factor in regards to towing.

I'm thinking Ram will offer it as an option at some point if they are smart. Took GM a couple years to start offering the 6.2 on their mid grade RST.

The weight of a higher trim is certainly parrt of it though not sure how much. I dont think power is the limiting factor on towing anymore half ton trucks these days have more power than their 3/4 and 1 ton gas counterparts. Frames, brakes , transmissions and rear ends are their limiting factor in regards to towing.
And cooling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back