5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2wd vs. 4wd

Dr Steve

Reaction score
I’m looking at purchasing a new Ram. Trying to decide between a 4x4 Laramie or 2wd Limited. I live in N. Florida, so no snow, just lots of rain. Don’t plan on driving on the beach. Is 4x4 worth it?

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I’m looking at purchasing a new Ram. Trying to decide between a 4x4 Laramie or 2wd Limited. I live in N. Florida, so no snow, just lots of rain. Don’t plan on driving on the beach. Is 4x4 worth it?

I wouldn’t want the truck without 4wd, i turn on 4wd Auto as soon as it starts raining, as I had my tail get wobbely several times accelerating on wet surface in 2wd.
It might be worse with a 6‘4“ bed like mine but I think empty bed, 5.7l and rain can be formula for trouble...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Reaction score
2wd with elocker = 2 direct drive wheels = open diff 4wd = anti spin diff 4x4 <2000 rpm! Plus It's 3 grand cheaper.

Don't listen to the "resale value" milarky! No used 4x4 is 3 grand more than an equal milage, trim. and year 4x2 in Florida. Unless you live on a farm, Florida is a 2wd state...

Queue the debate!

Jackham

Reaction score
Funny how 4 wheel drive has become such an issue. I grew up on a Colorado ranch and my Dad always said the only thing 4 wheel drive added was that for sure someone was going to have to pull you out.

But today as I drive through Montana and go over multiple passes and the drive systems are very sophisticated and tires have come a long way the whole equation has become a lot more complicated. You are not going to resale that thing to Montana so heed what was said and spend your money on great tires. They really make the difference.

RAMBS

Reaction score
I miss my 2wd truck. Cheaper, Less maintenance, Better MPG, Faster, More fun to drive. But after seeing another 2wd truck get sucked into the river whild trying to load a boat I decided if I'm gonna have a boat on the Mississippi I had better have 4wd. :eek:

sergetexan

Reaction score
I miss my 2wd truck. Cheaper, Less maintenance, Better MPG, Faster, More fun to drive. But after seeing another 2wd truck get sucked into the river whild trying to load a boat I decided if I'm gonna have a boat on the Mississippi I had better have 4wd. :eek:
Houston Tx, 35 years, always two wheel drive pick ups, lots of rain, only recall one time where fish tailed. It more about how you drive under circumstances and try to stay with tires that can handle wet pavement.

dsmgsx916

Reaction score
I personally would never own a truck or SUV without 4wd, but I find myself off-road a LOT. If I didn’t actually use the 4wd for off-road purposes, I would have no problem owning a 2wd truck. I never use 4wd in rain and only rarely in snow, it’s really not necessary if you understand how to adjust your driving style with the weather.

Get what suits you, get what you know you’ll use. If you’re not into off-roading, I don’t see a point in wasting the money on a useless feature that is only going to cost you more to maintain and more in gas.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2wd with elocker = 2 direct drive wheels = open diff 4wd = anti spin diff 4x4 <2000 rpm! Plus It's 3 grand cheaper.

Don't listen to the "resale value" milarky! No used 4x4 is 3 grand more than an equal milage, trim. and year 4x2 in Florida. Unless you live on a farm, Florida is a 2wd state...

Queue the debate!
Ok, I'll bite on the debate. I am in North Florida and have bought and sold several trucks since I have lived here. The fact is that used 4x4 trucks command a LOT more money than a 4 x 2. In fact, once a truck is 10 plus years old; a clean 4x4 will sell for nearly double the price of a similarly equipped 4x2. I recently sold a clean 2003 RAM 1500 4x4 ST for $8,000; when most 2wd trucks that were better equipped were selling for half of that. In addition, a 4x4 has many more benefits in Florida than given credit for (4x4 is not just for snow). In Florida we have boat ramps, dirt roads, beaches, and a lot of rain. So, when you go to that ball game, festival, fair (or whatever) and it dumps 2" of rain in an hour; have fun getting out of that grass field or muddy road in your 2wd.....I'l be in 4WD driving right past you as you spin in the mud. Granted, its a personal choice. But telling someone that 4WD in Florida is useless is very irresponsible; I use 4x4 more in Florida than I did when I lived in Pennsylvania. Its more about what your lifestyle is than what your location is. And yes, you will pay more for that 4WD mechanical advantage whether you buy new or used......in my opinion it is worth it.

Last edited:

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Its more about what your lifestyle is than what your location is.

This is right here. My Dad has owned a 2WD Avalanche in Iowa for many years. He's never gotten stuck in the snow and has never had an issue pulling the boat out of the water.

With that being said, I'd never own a truck or SUV without 4WD (for daily driver purposes) due to how I use my vehicles and I like having the capability there.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Do what you think is best for you, immediate and long term. I've had one 4x4, and three 4x2. I live in Houston, Texas now ... But lived in Missouri for the first three trucks. I much prefer 2WD, but might change my mind if conditions or situations ever warrant - And I found a super deal on a 4x4. It's good to ask for opinions, but ultimately it's your money ... Whatever makes your smile the biggest.

Howitis

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a 4wd will lower your towing and payload.

SColang22

Reaction score
If you are just driving on the road and no offroad 2wd will be fine

CornTrucks

Reaction score
A 2wd pickup will get through a lot more than people give it credit for. I farm in a snow state, and got a 2wd pickup to save some money, thinking I was going to regret it. I have never gotten stuck after more than 5 years of winter, gravel, and off road driving and towing. That said, I have enough experience than I know which situations will give me problems and avoid them.

I never understood getting 4wd/AWD for gravel, dirt, or rain.

MassHoleRam

Reaction score
Don’t try to sell that truck anywhere with snow. Up here in New England a 4x2 is pretty much useless. There will be the guys that say a 2wd is fine and you won’t need it, what they really mean is they have avoided every situation that required 4wd. I can’t speak for everyone but I will say if you get 2wd at least get locker

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t try to sell that truck anywhere with snow. Up here in New England a 4x2 is pretty much useless. There will be the guys that say a 2wd is fine and you won’t need it, what they really mean is they have avoided every situation that required 4wd. I can’t speak for everyone but I will say if you get 2wd at least get locker

I had no issues selling my past 2 2wd pickups in Ohio for full value.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
If you’re in a flat state or one without snow, you can live without 4WD. Otherwise, a 4x4 will eventually pay for itself at some point.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thoughts:

1. 4WD is more valuable than an upsized trim level. Trim levels become levelized in value real fast on used trucks.
2. You might not always live in Florida.
3. You might want to one day sell the truck to someone who doesn't live in Florida.

I've been driving trucks for 30+ years and although I live in the mountains now, and no 4WD means you sometimes just don't get out of here in the winter, I'd never go back to 2WD no matter where I lived. 4WD trucks don't just get a transfer case and front axles; lots of trucks (I'm not familiar enough with the Ram) get beefier control arms, bushings, sway bars, stronger transmissions, stronger rear axles, heavier cooling, etc. None of those things alone would make me buy a 4WD if I hardly used it, but the cost difference when new just isn't enough (in my opinion) to justify leaving an option behind that is extremely popular with other buyers. Besides, I've never had a 4WD truck and thought "I wish this was 2WD" while I was driving it, but I have had a 2WD truck and thought the opposite.

That people used to not have 4WD very often is a poor argument. People also used to not have disc brakes, separate master cylinders, air bags, stability & traction control, and lots of other things that might be considered foo-foo 30 years ago but that definitely make a difference in the safety & ability of the trucks. Having 4WD isn't a panacea or a license to drive like an idiot; it's just having one more tool available in the tool box.

So given the choice of 4WD and a one step lower trim or 2WD and a one step up trim, I'd go 4WD all day long. No way are leather accents and fancier wheels more useful or valuable than 4WD to the vast majority of people.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned trucks all my life both 4x2 and 4x4 with the exception of one Jeep.

Having lived in Florida for over 40 years I will say there isn't much that compares to the Florida swamp mud or a boat ramp at low tide covered with green slime. Many times I've seen trucks completely ruined trying to conquer each. It really just depends on how you're going to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/