5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2WD/4WD selector buttons flashing

JJ_Rebel

Reaction score
Lately, when its really cold outside, when I start my truck all the 2WD/4WD button lights below the PRND lights don't come on. A few minutes later when the truck starts to warm up, the button lights flash sporadically for about 1 minute until they finally stay on.
Its not a huge issue or problem, but I'm concerned that the flashing lights may be a short in one of the wires and it may cause a fuse to blow, or worse yet, it could cause a fire.
This weekend I plan on popping it out of the dash to take a look at the wires. Before I do, does anybody else have this issue, or know of a quick fix?

Attachments

• Dash lights off.jpg
    Dash lights off.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Dash lights on.jpg
    Dash lights on.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 30

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lately, when its really cold outside, when I start my truck all the 2WD/4WD button lights below the PRND lights don't come on. A few minutes later when the truck starts to warm up, the button lights flash sporadically for about 1 minute until they finally stay on.
Its not a huge issue or problem, but I'm concerned that the flashing lights may be a short in one of the wires and it may cause a fuse to blow, or worse yet, it could cause a fire.
This weekend I plan on popping it out of the dash to take a look at the wires. Before I do, does anybody else have this issue, or know of a quick fix?
I wouldn't touch it. Bring it into the dealer. They are strict as hell regarding electrical components and if you go messing with it they will blame the issue on you. Pretty much all brand dealers are like that. There's a guy on here that was trying to hot wire his dash cam or something into his truck last week and caused some issues....dealer almost didn't fix under warranty.

JJ_Rebel

Reaction score
I suppose thats a good point. I was just thinking it may be something quick and easy to fix and I could save myself 2 or 3 hours at the dealership.
Maybe I'll take it in there first and see what they say.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suppose thats a good point. I was just thinking it may be something quick and easy to fix and I could save myself 2 or 3 hours at the dealership.
Maybe I'll take it in there first and see what they say.
I know exactly what you mean...I hate bringing my vehicles to any dealer for that same reason, best to not chance it though. Hopefully it's something simple enough that it only takes them an hour. But the other reason to bring it in...what if it's a sign of something serious that poses a real safety risk. I'm sure it's not...but never know.

JJ_Rebel

Reaction score
No, nothing. thats why i thought it may just be a loose wire.
Anyways I have an appointment with my dealership on Tues.
We'll see what they say.

Ramrebel85

Reaction score
No, nothing. thats why i thought it may just be a loose wire.
Anyways I have an appointment with my dealership on Tues.
We'll see what they say.
I’ve recently noticed this same issue for my 2020 ram rebel as well. Also this morning it was 19 degrees outside and after letting the truck run for about 3 minutes I put it into reverse and it struggled and would not engage after about five feet of travel…. Not sure if these two issues are connected. Did you hear back from the dealership? What did they say?

Jeff B

Reaction score
Interested in hearing what your tech finds, mine has been doing the same flickering when its under 10 degrees outside.

U

User_34235

Looks like a trend as mine flashed like you said the other day when it was really cold outside. I didnt have to put it in Auto or 4WD, but the flashing worried me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/